Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2020 8:53:49 PM EDT
I bought a barrel with specs I’m quite fond of...unusual specs that aren’t really anywhere on the market. Anyways, only issue is the threads on this 5.56 barrel are 5/8x24. The barrel manufacturer claims it is not possible to re-cut the threads down to 1/2x28, but I don’t see how that could possibly be.

Can anyone help me out here?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought a barrel with specs I’m quite fond of...unusual specs that aren’t really anywhere on the market. Anyways, only issue is the threads on this 5.56 barrel are 5/8x24. The barrel manufacturer claims it is not possible to re-cut the threads down to 1/2x28, but I don’t see how that could possibly be.

View Quote

You could re-cut those to 1/2-28. I made some hybrid muzzle devices which were 5.56 but 5/8-24, I did this to keep the muzzle end of the barrel beefy. They were accurate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you feel the need to recut them?  Just use a 5/8 muzzle device of your choosing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If not running a suppressor I can help you out. It's doable
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I mean I didn’t necessarily think I needed to. I realize throwing a 30cal muzzle device on there isn’t a big deal and is a marginal loss in performance if any. Idk I mostly just thought it was strange that the manufacturer told me this wasnt possible when cutting/recrowning is a service they offer on their barrels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the thicker barrel threads which is why all my sub MOA rifles are the 5/8 thread
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean I didn’t necessarily think I needed to. I realize throwing a 30cal muzzle device on there isn’t a big deal and is a marginal loss in performance if any. Idk I mostly just thought it was strange that the manufacturer told me this wasnt possible when cutting/recrowning is a service they offer on their barrels.
View Quote

They’re likely limiting their liability or hassle
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither do I....but post a picture of the threaded area of the barrel and maybe we can see if some odd ball barrel diameter is happening behind the 5/8 thread
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who makes the barrel just out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Depending on the thread specs the threads were cut to, they may be concerned about enough clean material being left to cut the new threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top