Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2023 6:43:52 PM EDT
Yesterday was the day, May 19th, 1986 that the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (FOPA) became the law of the land. The democrats attempted to add a "machine gun ban" to the otherwise-good bill, by a late night voice vote which clearly failed. However, New York democrat leader Charles Rangel claimed the proposed ban passed the voice vote, and added it to FOPA anyway.

The machine gun ban was intended to be a "poison pill", which would prevent the passing of FOPA. However, the NRA told Ronald Reagan that they would fight the ban, and urged Reagan to sign it.

As they say, "the rest is history"...
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry the NRA says they're going to fight it. Just gotta wait a bit longer.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Tyrants playing games with the people's rights.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The MG ban lost the vote but was added to the bill anyway.  Years ago on another website someone posted a video of the vote. The NFA ban lost but was added to the bill anyway. Since it was signed into law it can not be reversed for losing. I am still waiting for that NRA fight to start.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck Rangel.

FOPA Hughes Amendment VOTE APRIL 10 1986
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The MG ban lost the vote but was added to the bill anyway.  Years ago on another website someone posted a video of the vote. The NFA ban lost but was added to the bill anyway. Since it was signed into law it can not be reversed for losing. I am still waiting for that NRA fight to start.
View Quote

The footage of the MG ban vote was actually ordered by an ARFCOMMER from the Library of Congress because CSPAN's archive at the time and maybe to this day didn't go back to 1986 only like 1988 or so.

From what I remember it was a fairly expensive and time consuming endeavor to get the footage.

I think it cost almost $200 and took several weeks for them to mail him the tape.

He immediately ripped it and posted it to YouTube and it has circulated widely since that time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
There was a time on that weekend afterwards when visiting my uncles shop when he was an SOT class 3 etc gun store in Cottage Grove, Oregon, where as a 14 year old, all of the NFA stuff he had from Flemings, DLOs, HTA, LaFrance, transferables, m11s, Mac10s, you would think we will never ever run out.

Here we are today and he has virtually nothing in inventory but back then in 1986 when he had hundreds of NFAs, most of them are sitting in transfer from Curtis Higgins and some are his inventory, one back then would think we are OK, it will never run dry.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top