Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 3:11:19 PM EDT
Is the 5.11 carrier quality gear?  It seems a lot of crossfit people wear them to carry around extra weight and they hold up well for their shenanigans.  I can get one for $160.

I have a set of Hesco L210s if you would like to recommend something else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
For carrying plates for real shit purposes there are way better choices. Crossfiters wear them because 5.11 pays oodles of money to crossfit. Same way you see them in movies like 13 hours or video games like far cry. I'd suggest a Mayflower carrier like the LEPC or APC if you want to say in the sub $200 mark. If you can go over that a JPC 1.0 is $210 and that's what the 5.11 is copying.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I would pass on that. Depending on what your goal is I would check out Ferro, Spiritus, Crye and T.rex arms new AC1. Most of those companies are out of stock constantly but trex is restocking weekly and from what ive seen the carrier is quality.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the other posters. There are better options

I have a Tac-Tec it’s good quality and has held up for years but I don’t like the dimensions of the panels where you insert the plate. It’s could be more slim line. I also don’t like where the plates sit even after adjustment. If you have your plate adjusted properly in the front it makes the rear plate sit to low.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at those when I was first researching armor. There are better options for around the same price or marginally more that are made in the USA and higher quality. I ended up going with a JPC 2.0.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You can literally buy a Crye JPC for about $200 (not 2.0) and it's a drastically better carrier. 5.11 carriers and most of their gear are absolute trash.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
That vest is ok, better than nothing I suppose. The yoke is a really interesting feature: just speculation but I imagine it improves load carriage comfort.
Secondhand but some guys in my department use them as tac vests, they're okay with em mostly because they got a GovX deal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're willing to spend $160 on a 5.11 carrier, push that to $190 and get the Trex Arms AC1.

The elastic pouches in the AC1 cumberbunds already give room for TQ's, IFAKs, and other things. Just add some sort of clip-on mag placard and you're done.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  I'll looks into some of the other recommendations.  One of my buddies told me to get the 5.11 but I guess I trust a strangers judgement a little more.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top