Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2020 3:59:01 PM EDT
OK, question that I * think* I know the answer to, but just want to check.

01 FFL listed as a LLC. Have a few C&R items in my (LLC) inventory.
To transfer these to myself, I believe I do not need to do a 4473 (I know they are exempt from background check). So Just Disposition the to myself in A&D Book?

Or-

Fill out 4473, and skip Question 19/20/21.

Thanks, first time I have done a C&R.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a personal 03 FFL? If so, as long as they are C&R eligible you can transfer them directly to your personal 03 FFL without a 4473.

If you don't have a personal 03 FFL than they have to be transferred to you as an individual like any other firearm on a 4473
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a personal 03 FFL? If so, as long as they are C&R eligible you can transfer them directly to your personal 03 FFL without a 4473.

If you don't have a personal 03 FFL than they have to be transferred to you as an individual like any other firearm on a 4473
View Quote

OK, that's what I thought. But a little confused, because CBI check in Colorado are exempt on C&R, from what I've read anyway.

Personally, I don't really care about the $10 bucks CBI will charge, just trying to understand whats necessary to be compliant
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends a lot on your state laws.

As far as I know, in Ohio there's no paperwork at all.

Hold it in your right hand, then put it in your left.  You're done.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

To transfer these to myself, I believe I do not need to do a 4473 (I know they are exempt from background check). So Just Disposition the to myself in A&D Book?

Or-

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or-

YOU aren't licensed, your LLC is. You are just an RP.
You fill out a 4473 and do a background check on yourself. There is no exemption in Federal law for C&R guns.....same regs on transferring.
Quoted:
It depends a lot on your state laws.

As far as I know, in Ohio there's no paperwork at all.

Hold it in your right hand, then put it in your left.  You're done.

Attachment Attached File

"In Ohio" still means you have to follow Federal law/ATF regs......and that means for an 01FFL issued to a corporation, LLC, partnership a 4473/NICS is required to transfer from the licensee (the corporation, LLC, etc) to you as an individual.

If your FFL was issued to you as a sole proprietor, then you, personally are licensed. ONLY SP's have no need for a 4473/NICS.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

OK, that's what I thought. But a little confused, because CBI check in Colorado are exempt on C&R, from what I've read anyway.

Personally, I don't really care about the $10 bucks CBI will charge, just trying to understand whats necessary to be compliant
View Quote

You damn well better be clear on this.
While transfers of a curio & relic firearm from an 01FFL to an 03FFL C&R do not require a 4473/NICS.......they sure as hell are required when transferred to a nonlicensee.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You damn well better be clear on this.
While transfers of a curio & relic firearm from an 01FFL to an 03FFL C&R do not require a 4473/NICS.......they sure as hell are required when transferred to a nonlicensee.
View Quote

C&R and antiques are exempt from the Colorado's UBC law. That means they can be bought and sold in private transactions, with or without a C&R license. It does not exempt C&R firearms from NICS/4473 if bought from an FFL.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

C&R and antiques are exempt from the Colorado's UBC law. That means they can be bought and sold in private transactions, with or without a C&R license. It does not exempt C&R firearms from NICS/4473 if bought from an FFL.
View Quote

That's what I understand.

But this is not considered a private sale, as its going from a 01ffl to an individual.

Where i'm confused, is the 4473/NCIS.

In any event, I just emailed my IOI.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But this is not considered a private sale, as its going from a 01ffl to an individual.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will make his day.
Seriously, how long have you held an FFL?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know that. OP has an FFL, he has to do a 4473/NICS.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know that. OP has an FFL, he has to do a 4473/NICS.
View Quote

I know that OP has an FFL, and told him that the C&R UBC exemption only exempts private sales from the extra state-required background checks it otherwise imposed. It does not affect the Federal background check requirement for non-licensees receiving from an FFL.

Yes, OP has to to a 4473/NICS in this instance, unless he wants to go get his personal 03.

With a personal 03 C&R, he could just transfer them from LLC's A&D book out to his 03 license number, but with no 4473/NICS.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You will make his day.
View Quote

Month or so.
IOI is actually a super nice guy, very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know that OP has an FFL, and told him that the C&R UBC exemption only exempts private sales from the extra state-required background checks it otherwise imposed. It does not affect the Federal background check requirement for non-licensees receiving from an FFL.

Yes, OP has to to a 4473/NICS in this instance, unless he wants to go get his personal 03.

With a personal 03 C&R, he could just transfer them from LLC's A&D book out to his 03 license number, but with no 4473/NICS.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.  I appreciate it.

And thanks for not being a dick, too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Month or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will make his day.

Month or so.

He should have covered this during your interview.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.  I appreciate it.

And thanks for not being a dick, too.
View Quote

Me (or others) "being a dick" may help you keep your FFL.
The situation you described in the OP is one you should have been aware of before you ever received your FFL. That's why I asked how long you've had your FFL.
My "make his day" comment was because your IOI was supposed to cover how to transfer and record acquisitions and dispositions during your interview. He should have handed you a checklist for you to sign acknowledging that he covered everything.

If you haven't already, you need to do some reading before you start transferring firearms.
For starters:
The instructions on the Form 4473
Instructions on the Multiple Sale of Pistols or Revolvers form.
At atf.gov:
CFR 478 All of it.
Firearm Rulings All of 'em
Open Letters
FFL Newsletters
Firearm Q&A's and the citations to those answers

Don't feel bad, there are PLENTY of FFL's who have been in business decades and still ask "is an AR lower a handgun or long gun?" or "how do I record a Mossberg Shockwave?"

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"how do I record a Mossberg Shockwave?"

View Quote

Is "Blasty Thingy" acceptable?

I just "firearm" for those.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is "Blasty Thingy" acceptable?

I just "firearm" for those.
View Quote

"Range Toy Thats Not As Good As Gun With Real Shoulder Thing That Goes Up"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top