Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2022 3:21:46 PM EDT
Gun is on order. Grabbing dies and shell holder this weekend. Brass…probably overpay for some on GB.

A few questions.

Are 429 and 430 bullets both safe? I’ll probably load Hornady 240 xtp initially (since I can get locally cheap). But would like to load even cheaper projectiles like Berrys (still 240).

Is h110 a good all around powder for light loads and wake up the dead loads?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
429 caliber are for jacketed bullet
430 caliber are lead cast or swaged lead bullets

H110 or Win 296 are only for full charge loads only

You need Win 231 or HP 38 for mid range plinking loads

Get a copy of the Lyman 51 Ed Reloading Manual.  Tis a great resource for handgun loading and cast lead bullet data

Remember you need uniform case length to do a good job of crimping

Seat bullets in one step and then crimp in a separate step.

DO NOT USE a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die on anything but Jacketed or Speer TMJ Bullets.  It has the potential to strip plating and coating.  It will SWAGE bullets to smaller diameter and potentially promote leading .
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, H110/Win 296 (same powder) doesn't like to be down loaded.

2400 makes a nice magnum load that doesn't have to be "balls to the wall".

Unique is a great mid range powder (probably my favorite for "everyday" use in the .44)

As already suggested, 231/HP38 is a nice plinker powder.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The 240 XTP is .430, would they be unsafe since they are jacketed?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
0.430 is just fine for jacketed bullets.  All Hornady jacketed are .430.
Speer 44 cal bullets are 0.429.
Acme Cast bullets are 0.430.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get a copy of the Lyman 51 Ed Reloading Manual.  Tis a great resource for handgun loading and cast lead bullet data

Remember you need uniform case length to do a good job of crimping

DO NOT USE a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die on anything but Jacketed or Speer TMJ Bullets.  It has the potential to strip plating and coating.  It will SWAGE bullets to smaller diameter and potentially promote leading .
View Quote

I agree with everything here-except I have NEVER had an issue seating and crimping at the same time.  For the record I have been reloading for over 25 years (since I was in college) and before that helped my dad reload another 10 years before that.  I will say my first five or so years of me reloading weren't all that great, but once I got a bit of experience my reloads look like factory.  For 44 mag I usually just use factory, but I do load a 325 gr cast lead bullet at 1060 fps for a Thompson Contender with a Dead Air Ghost M suppressor for around the camp on some land I have in the Ozarks-for anything that may come around causing mischief (we have bears).  I call it thumper.

But everyone is different, and have various ways to do things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Other key is what weapon Do you want to reload for also helps
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Taurus revolver
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#8]
FPNI

You will want to pay close attention to the above advice on crimp and magnum pressure loads.

I don't have experience with Taurus, but every handgun has the potential to be bullet picky so be prepared to run some tests.

The 44 Mag revolver can be an amazingly accurate rig and delivers some very good terminal performance on North American sized game within reasonable distances.

Also pay attention to primer selection based on powders and load levels when going into cold weather.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The 44 Magnum case is very strong and easy to crimp with bullet seating, without damaging the case.

Accurate #9 is very low flash and makes much less flash than W296 / H110.

2400, Unique and Universal can be used in lighter loads with good results.

Depending on the firearm, Federal primers are the most reliable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
0.430 is just fine for jacketed bullets.  All Hornady jacketed are .430.
Speer 44 cal bullets are 0.429.
Acme Cast bullets are 0.430.
View Quote

Zero makes some .431s.  I shoot 'em all the time in my Model 69 with no issues.

You HAVE to try a 180gr over about 24 grains of 2400.  Serious full-power blast/concussion with pretty tame recoil.  With the right lighting the fireball is impressive.

ETA the Zeros are a jacketed soft point.  I bought 2000 when I was searching (in vain) for a pill that my 2015 1894 would shoot decently.  I miked the bore at .433 lol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#11]
OP one of the best mid-power powders is Unique.  10-11 grains or so with a 240 grain bullet is fun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Scheels is nice to have around. Had just about everything I needed (including LPP, but didn’t buy any). Hoping brass and gun show up this week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Is h110 a good all around powder for light loads and wake up the dead loads?
View Quote

HS-6 or True Blue are much better for light to mid-heavy.  H110 is a magnum powder.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

This is the way for folks who can't seem to figure out how to set up a seat/crimp die properly.  I have zero problem crimping and seating in the same throw of the lever.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
My favorite load for .44 magnum is 21.0grs of IMR4227 over the 240XTP Hornady.

It has taken several deer out to 125 yards in my Handi Rifle.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
For brass, look at Starline.

It's marked as backorder, but I ordered some last week and it has shipped already.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/44-mag-brass
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
If you didn't get dies and brass let me know. I got out of 44 mag but still have a bunch of stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Well carp. My guy that was gonna get the gun for me didn’t order now they are OOS. Only thing available in town is a 2.5” Taurus, and I’m not man enough for that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well carp. My guy that was gonna get the gun for me didn’t order now they are OOS. Only thing available in town is a 2.5” Taurus, and I’m not man enough for that.
View Quote

Sorry man, that's a bummer.

At least it'll give you a little more time to gather more components and research.

I also agree, that 2½" would probably be pretty brutal.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Back on! Got a 4” 6 shot that is 10 oz heavier than the original on order…in stock and paid for!

I’ve found no data in about 1/2 dozen manuals for Win 231, only the Hodgdon website has data from that powder. Any information on 231 and 240 xtps would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep in mind that I am known to be a cheap old bastard but in my 40+ years of reloading 44 mag I have never been convinced that 44mag needs anything but a good cast bullet.

Yes, I have tried a few jacketed loads when I had some kind of a deal going for the heads but they have always been way more expensive than cast .
Yes, I got good results from the few loads I worked on but really no better than the cast.

Big fan of both the regular Lyman book and also the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook .

Federal primers work fine , I have found CCI to be hard to seat , Winchester Large pistol work well for me and simplify things as there is only one primer (no standard and magnum , just one Win large pistol)
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Back on! Got a 4” 6 shot that is 10 oz heavier than the original on order…in stock and paid for!

I’ve found no data in about 1/2 dozen manuals for Win 231, only the Hodgdon website has data from that powder. Any information on 231 and 240 xtps would be appreciated.
View Quote

Good for you!

Keep in mind that 231 isn't usually associated with jacketed .44mag but, there's sure to be data out there.

I loaded a lot of 231 35 years ago under cast lead bullets just so I could maximize my shooting dollars.

Since then, I've branched out a bit but I still say Unique is probably the best, all around powder.

Yes, it's dirty with powder puff loads (they don't call it flammable dirt for no reason) and you won't get true magnum performance in heavier loads (it does shoot cleaner though) but it shines in mid range, cast bullet "working" loads.

8-10 grains is a very popular range and will do the majority of what a person would ever ask the .44 to do.

I've gone as low as 6 grains under a 240 lead swc for a bulk plinking load at the local landfill.

If you insist on jacketed bullets you're eventually gonna want to consider something other than 231.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Can someone recommend some good cheap bullets?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#24]
As for bullets, I’ve used the 240 SWC from Bayou Bullets. You can get small trial size packs to tru different diameters. Some of my guns like .430, some like .432
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Lots of data out there for cast bullets…does being “hard” cast change anything? Or use the same data?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Well crap. I found a new way to throw $$$ into the dirt.

Only had 240 xtp available locally so loaded up some of them.

Win 231: 8.0 - 10.4 grains. No issues. 8 grains was a breeze. By 10.4 it was getting a little spicier but not bad.

H110: 21.0 - 24.0 grains. Again, not bad. I wouldn’t want to shoot a case of ammo in a session, but even at 24 grains it wasn’t unbearable as some people have indicated.

I’ll be figuring out ways to afford more revolvers, cuz that’s a hell of a lot more fun than semis!
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Win 231: 8.0 - 10.4 grains. No issues. 8 grains was a breeze. By 10.4 it was getting a little spicier but not bad.

H110: 21.0 - 24.0 grains. Again, not bad. I wouldn’t want to shoot a case of ammo in a session, but even at 24 grains it wasn’t unbearable as some people have indicated.

I’ll be figuring out ways to afford more revolvers, cuz that’s a hell of a lot more fun than semis!
View Quote

Welcome to the addiction!  Revolvers and reloading go together like peanut butter and jelly.  Don't forget the Specials.  44 and 38 Special are just awesome revolver rounds for shooting and reloading.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Tagged. I made a thread like this three months ago, but only got my reloading bench setup last night.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Welcome to the addiction!  Revolvers and reloading go together like peanut butter and jelly.  Don't forget the Specials.  44 and 38 Special are just awesome revolver rounds for shooting and reloading.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I’ll gladly shoot downloaded loads all day long. Got 1k Missouri bullets on the way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought the Lyman reloading guide, and now I'm confused.

I bought Missouri Bullet company 240 grain hard cast bullets. The closest bullet to this in the Western Powders data recommends an overall length of 1.610. The lyman guide suggests an identical powder charge, but an overall length of 1.645". This seems like a big difference to me. Granted, this load data is for 240 grain Keith style semi-wad cutters and I'm using a round nose flat point lead bullet instead, but that's true for both the Western Powders data and the Lyman book data. I'm confused as to what to go with.

ETA: I also bought the coated version of the bullet with a brinell hardness of 18 if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Differences in where they design the crimp groove mean that each specific bullet model might load to its own seating depth.

You will be okay with a mid pressure plinking load, but anything serious or picky will mean a load work up.

Begin with the start load and work your way up.

When you have those samples in your hands, you will see why they called for different seating depths and it is usually because their groove is different. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Many years ago when starting to reload a cartridge I would buy every bullet and powder out there and try them all.

In my older age I am pretty happy to find a couple of decent loads and just have fun shooting.

To me the only good use of jacketed bullets in 44 mag is when you need them for a Ruger deerslayer semi auto.

Pretty much all I use for 44 mag is 2400 with a 240 cast or coated bullet .This load with a near max load works well in all my pistols and also my Marlin cowboy(cut rifleing , not micro grove)

For lighter loads I am happy with Unique behind the 240 or something lighter like a 210 still in cast lead or coated.

Only primer I use is Winchester large pistol , they have just the one primer for both regular or magnum use , covers all powders.

Commercial cast bullets (even coated) can still be had way cheaper than jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I am all for simple supply chains. I'm hoping this MBC bullets work out, because they are cheap, have good reviews, and I live so close they typically arrive in one day.

I have two guns I'm loading for; a Winchester 94 carbine and a vintage S&W 29. My plan is to make three loads; a full power magnum for the rifle and pistol, a light magnum which I suspect will be my handgun hunting load unless I get good enough to actually make 50 yard shots, and a 44 Special or 44 Russian load for ultra low recoil target shooting. I plan on starting to shoot ICORE in order to learn to shoot the revolver.

As far as powders go, I was gifted some Accurate #9, Accurate #5 and I have some Bullseye for 40mm lift charges (my only reloading experience to date).

For ICORE, I've been told that S&W 29 shooters typically load 44 Russian to aid in feeding with speed loaders. I only have a small quantity of 44 magnum and 44 special brass. Is there anything wrong with trimming 44 special brass to the length of 44 Russian? Will the interior volume of the case be the same? Do I really need to worry about that if shooting exclusively in magnum revolvers? I would just go buy it, but haven't seen any in stock since I started looking. That goes for all 44 brass, not just Russian.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Ok.

If you are going to be a one caliber specific super maximizer reloader,
Discount the following.

If not,
When times are right or supplies thin, or you just like being flexible-
You can load everything with five grains of bullseye.

38 special +P 110 grains, 5 of Bullseye
158 gr .357. Same
40 S&W 180 grain, same
44 mag 240 grain, same
45 ACP 230 grain, same
9mm 115 grain- same
250 gr 45 Colt, same
200 grain 10mm, same

It’s a very fast powder that gives very accurate light to moderate loads for caliber.
It is not a powder for maxing loads in a caliber.
It takes up little space, do not double charge.

These are my loads in my guns.
Not directions.
Use appropriate resources.

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Missouri coated bullet can be run like jackets ones. This is from the note on their website. My H110 load with them is more accurate than I am at 100 yards out of a Marlin 1094SS stainless. 1 to 1.5 groups are the norm off a rest.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#38]
An ACME 240gr swc seated to the swc shoulder even with the case mouth, over 5.0 grs of 231 is an EXTREMELY accurate target load.
Seating to bullet that deep keeping the SD down to the single digits.

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Got some MBC 200gr RNFPs loaded with 231 and also some of the 240gr SWCs loaded with same powder.

Any issues using h110 with the MBC bullets? Coated, 18 brinell
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, my first attempt at 44 magnum didn't go well. I had flattened primers on my starter load. Now I have to pull all of my bullets and remeasure the powder charge to make sure I didn't have an issue with my powder measure.

I shot about 50 rounds of full power ammo through my revolver today. I am definitely not used to that kind of recoil. I think I'm going to look for a lighter load for my next experiment. I even got a huge bruise from shooting the same load in my rifle. It hurt worse than my dad's 45/70 with max loads. I wasn't expecting that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I use H110 for full power loads and Trail Boss for light cowboy loads…

44 Mag is one of my favorites to load…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top