Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2020 4:30:23 PM EDT
Has anyone tried printing their own hulls? I have a tec d launcher that I did a form 1 on when I got it, so I can fire what I want out of it but it mainly is used for fireworks, with just light BP loads. I recently acquired a 3d printer and am thinking of making my own hulls, I was wondering if anyone has any experience they would be willing to share.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The Army had a little success printing their own

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you done any testing yet Postal?

If they work and you don't mind, I can add the file to my ChevTec Group file folder. I am working with CTRL+PEW to do a file drop on his website. If you'd rather keep it to yourself. To each their own. I've had a few people ask if we have made any headway on cases yet
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I just printed a copy of the training case and it will work for 1 shot and catastrophically fail.

I've read that someone has a design that is good for 2 shots, but I haven't seen it released.  I'd recommend people try to get that one.

I've debated making one that would use a 45acp case, but I have enough regular cases I have not felt the need too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been experimenting a bit with some black powder loads, the cases have a built in powder bushing and use a 209 primer.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Just printed a hull for my 40mm
Haven’t tried it yet
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had success with printing the projectiles. I have not tried to print hulls yet due to the ease of reloading the readily available aluminum ones.

I would recommend using a high temp filament such as nylon or one of the exotic blends- I don't think the entry level filaments will stand up too well unless you go super thick. You might be able to get a way with making the wall thickness significantly greater than that which the traditional plastic hulls have.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had success with printing the projectiles. I have not tried to print hulls yet due to the ease of reloading the readily available aluminum ones.

I would recommend using a high temp filament such as nylon or one of the exotic blends- I don't think the entry level filaments will stand up too well unless you go super thick. You might be able to get a way with making the wall thickness significantly greater than that which the traditional plastic hulls have.
View Quote

Thats basically how I would expect it to be done to work well. But then you'd be limited to 3d printed projos or lathe turned zincs.

So far I'm in the same boat as I have a hundred or so aluminum cases, a couple hundred nylon, a hundred m1029, and a handful of others. So printing a dozen pla shells wouldn't help me much. But when I run out of projectile ideas, then I'd be happy to explore it for those who need it. I know there is very limited case variety in Canada
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have printed one in PLA and another in 95d TPU just to see if I can.  I have not test fired any because the finished dimensions were not correct.  

IMO, something like 98d TPU would be the best choice because it is not brittle like PLA and it is WAY stronger than PLA.  Also the slight flex helps the case to seal without cracking the plastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top