Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the issue is the material more than the concept. ABS isn't a great material for this application. I don't think this idea is dead.

PET-G would be a better material than ABS and is about the same price. Nylon would be better, but is more expensive. I think Pet-G would at least be a step in the right direction.

A Gas check is also a good idea along with a few grains of trail boss.

Since you are worried about your break, is it removable? I don't think the materials we are talking about at nearly ANY velocity would come CLOSE to damaging a .50 cal muzzle break.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
May have been mentioned, but on a related note:

Has anyone thought about 3D printing bullet tips for large hollowpoints that woudln't normally feed in certain firearms?

Say you get your hands on a boat load of wide HP 30-30 bullets and want to use them to load for .300BLK AR.
3D print you a little forest of tiny plastic trees to break off and glue in the tips.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the issue is the material more than the concept. ABS isn't a great material for this application. I don't think this idea is dead.

PET-G would be a better material than ABS and is about the same price. Nylon would be better, but is more expensive. I think Pet-G would at least be a step in the right direction.

A Gas check is also a good idea along with a few grains of trail boss.

Since you are worried about your break, is it removable? I don't think the materials we are talking about at nearly ANY velocity would come CLOSE to damaging a .50 cal muzzle break.
View Quote
I could remove  it but I need special wrences to grip it  and the torque  it back on.

I doubt it will hurt the break but I am sure it will send pics all over the place
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What about turning some delrin or other solid round plastic bar into bullets on a lathe? A mini lathe would work great for that and could churn them out (use a diy shaper tool to do it in one operation), they'd be a lot more solid than a 3d print version. If there's no access to a lathe then use a mold and try casting different materials?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone consider coating them in something that won't melt, but will allow the rifling to catch instead of plastic
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
They didn't really melt. The primers didn't have enough pressure to push them out. My concern is how fragile they are.  They would snap at the case neck.  Once in the barrel they are supported.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I said in another  post.  I am looking for some cheep ways to allow children to shoot my 50.

I was  thinking about plastic 3D bullets and  just primer for propellant may work

Anyone try this or even know where I could find the 3D bullets?
View Quote
How about cast bullets from wheel weights with Trail Boss?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used foam ear plugs out of it a few  times but no accuracy.

What I intend to do here is  make a very light load that could be fired  in ones back yard  with little noise or chance of damage to others property.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I gladly print you 5 to test if you want, as long as I get it in writing that you won't sue me if something goes wrong.     

View Quote
Entirely cool thing of you to do!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Any updates on this? I think the delrin idea is pretty good; that seems to hold up well when we use it.

I also wonder about a sabot'd round? We shot some projectiles (aluminum, as I recall) using a three piece printed sabot from ABS out of a 30mm cannon. It worked really well, except predicting how the sabots would come off. I also think maybe it was smooth bore?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't done anything more because of the expenses to others with making and shipping them to me. I don't have the knowledge or equipment to make the bullets.
As much as I would love to. I have ideas for projectile goe my 37 mm launcher.

They have 50bmg sabot rounds but are not good to shoot them trough a muzzle brake. They tend to open up and hit the baffles on the way out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I couldn't make out in your pics, but I'm assuming you have a single shot or one that you can load one at a time?

The only reason to keep the original bullet profile is looks, so why not stop where the profile starts to taper to the point. Sort of a modified wadcutter profile. Thicker = stronger

Idea two - reduce friction by narrowing the diameter overall but leaving 2-3 driving bands. One at the base, one a little further out (optional) and one that will wind up just inside the case.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'm still game if you want me to make you another batch, at no cost of course. I like doing this type of stuff.  I have some Taulman3D Bridge Nylon and I can print them laying down so that the layers are are going through the bullet instead of vertically like before. Just let me know.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
What about going to something like a driving band or a wasp waist, where only a small amount of the band is engaged by the rifling instead of the full length of the bullet?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Talking to a friend who has done quite a bit of 3D printing, he thinks you should stick with the print orientation being with the bullets upright. He also suggest Ultem (sp?) as a potentially viable option.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been giving the thought to adding a little powder like trail boss. But that really isn't a great idea. The size of the case alone is to big for light charges. You won't get reliable burn or pressure. Trail boss really needs to be slightly compressed to  work it's best so I don't think small powder charges will work.

The 50 BMG primer is fairly hot it's self.

I am thinking maybe smaller bullet with two driving bans may work.
Maybe a dand right where the case neck sits and a little way up to keep it centered going down the long tube.

Could you do a cavity in the base to further reduce the bullets weight?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Could you do a cavity in the base to further reduce the bullets weight?
View Quote
My guesswork on this - if you have a 3d printed bullet built with a hollow base, the gas will be applying pressure to multiple layers of plastic. I'd be afraid one of the lower layers would separate from the upper layers and get left in the barrel. With a flat base, all the pressure is applied to the bottom layer.

If you're looking to drop weight, maybe do some honeycomb infill in the middle?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe a hollow bade then a disc that glued. To the bottom of the bullet.

That way  it is still lighter but has the solid base for pressure.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top