Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2018 9:10:19 PM EDT
There is a guy at work that says if I get him the correct info to download that he would print me some baffles for my airgun.  But I can’t find anything online for my Gun.

I have an Airforce Talon SS in .22 caliber. It’s a pcp airgun with a factory shroud that extends past the barrel but had no baffles.

The newer models come with baffles from the factory. I can purchase them but they are around $100.00 and apparently don’t work that great?

Anyone have any ideas? I posted in the airgun section but apparently it’s too similar to a suppressor question. So it got deleted.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure if the models that warfairy and I worked on are in the FOSSCAD repository, but they may be. If not, send me an email, I'll send you a couple models of K-Baffles I made back before the eForms dried up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just an FYI, directly from ATF's website:
"Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax."

There's also US vs. Crooker. Felony conviction for an airgun silencer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If an airgun suppressor is made completely of plastic, with plastic baffles, would it still be considered potentially a true suppressor? One shot out of a 9mm and your 3D printed airgun baffles would turn into 3D printed shrapnel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If an airgun suppressor is made completely of plastic, with plastic baffles, would it still be considered potentially a true suppressor? One shot out of a 9mm and your 3D printed airgun baffles would turn into 3D printed shrapnel.
View Quote
As proven by the ATF, if that one and only shot is muffled by even 1dB than, by definition, it's a silencer.

I'm not telling you whta to do, just giving you some info. Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, I went through the same issues trying to design a paintball suppressor years ago.

I'm not aware how Gamo first got approval to do this, but I assume it has something to do with being permanently attached and not removable that got them the ok from ATF
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes. I have designed tested a suppressor that's completely made of plastic, printed by an SOT that worked very well for about 50 rounds of 9mm. It eventually melted, but it proved the concept was sound, and that you could use ABS to build a functional suppressor. I have an aluminum tube'd suppressor that uses ABS K-Baffles, by law the baffles, once separated from the suppressor, are themselves a suppressor. Tread carefully.

Quoted:

As proven by the ATF, if that one and only shot is muffled by even 1dB than, by definition, it's a silencer.

See my above comment. Yes. Even a soda bottle held on with your hand or electrical tape is a silencer.

Quoted:

Yes, I went through the same issues trying to design a paintball suppressor years ago.

I'm not aware how Gamo first got approval to do this, but I assume it has something to do with being permanently attached and not removable that got them the ok from ATF
Correct. The only way to remove the gamo silencer is via destructive means, that compromise the suppressor.

If I were to design an airgun or paintball suppressor, I would make it intergal to the barrel and build it in halves and sonic weld or solvent weld the pieces of plastic to the barrel permanently.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
They will hold up, legality is another question I can't really answer, my understanding is as long as it's incapable of being used on a real firearm you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can definitively answer this in the affirmative.

Somewhere I have an FTB determination letter stating that regardless of construction or raw materials, unless it is permanently affixed by means of pin/weld () then it would be an NFA firearm if there was ANY reduction in report from a firearm, regardless of whether it survives the first shot or not. I assumed they’d test it on a 22 short (they tested some paintball barrels a long while back with 22lr and claimed the porting made them silencers).
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
If your 3d printing baffles then the main dimensions needed are the caliber of pellet and the inner diameter of the shroud.  The programming software can scale the length a bit to make things work out.  Thingiverse has several baffle designs one can download and try.  If you have dimensions then someone here can make up some files easily.

You've already been given lots of advice on treading lightly.  There is a whole gray market of airgun suppressors,  modulators, compensators.....some of it on social media selling items and customers posting pictures.

There are several pcp air guns using baffles.  It's not what material the baffles are made of, but what there intended use is that makes them a NFA item.  From what I gather, by using the barrel shroud and end cap to locate and contain the baffles the item is not considered a NFA item.  There is no seperate unit that can be attached and detached from the air gun that keeps the suppressor assembled and ready attached to true firearms.  You will find individuals selling screw on suppressors for air gun use only.  If one were to ever attach it to a firearm it would become a NFA item.  The BATFE has no problem screwing it onto a firearm and stating you could have done the same thing....so it's possession of un registered NFA item charges.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I looked up the airforce arms sound loc kit.  For $90 shipped I'd wager it actually works well.  Back when it came out most reviews and users said it was very quite.

The kit has 3 k baffles, a spacer tube to create a blast chamber, 2 barrel collars to locate the barrel shroud.  The front collar is drilled to allow air pass from the blast chamber back down the shroud.

The only thing I saw in the kit that could be improved was it appears that the k baffles are really long.  You may get a bit more performance with shorter baffles so you fit 5 or 6 in the tube and have more air stripping planes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Cover yourself, OP.  A $200 Form 1 stamp is cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the can blows up, its not gonna silence the round.  From personal experience, cans that blow up are pretty loud when they go.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is a guy at work that says if I get him the correct info to download that he would print me some baffles for my airgun.  But I can't find anything online for my Gun.

I have an Airforce Talon SS in .22 caliber. It's a pcp airgun with a factory shroud that extends past the barrel but had no baffles.

The newer models come with baffles from the factory. I can purchase them but they are around $100.00 and apparently don't work that great?

Anyone have any ideas? I posted in the airgun section but apparently it's too similar to a suppressor question. So it got deleted.
View Quote
The beauty of 3D printing is it allows you to print things that could not be made via conventional machining.  The other thing to realize is that there is no need to print individual parts and then assemble a suppressor.  A 3D printer can print the entire can as a single piece.  This frees up the potential for design as well as eliminating the need for spacers etc.

I have printed and tested 3D suppressors for 22 rimfire and they work just fine.  On a pistol, 10 rounds produces a bit of heat inside the can but not enough to soften the plastic.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah my ABS 3D printed 22 can has blow up yet, I did get a baffle strike attempting to use .22 shorts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the can blows up, its not gonna silence the round.  From personal experience, cans that blow up are pretty loud when they go.
View Quote
That’s why the ATF will test it with the absolute weakest “firearm” they can.

22lr was a favorite for that purpose. I remember an old determination letter where they claimed ported paintball barrels were silencers if they weren’t welded to the marker because it reduced the sound signature of a 22 by a couple decibels.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Digging around the internet, I found some measurements for a baffle.  Tossed this together.

Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Digging around the internet, I found some measurements for a baffle.  Tossed this together.

https://preview.ibb.co/nEvHyL/Capture.jpg
View Quote
I have seen that before i just cant remember where.  Oh yeah it was on my lathe and mill.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]
It sure is a pretty design.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/parts/custom-airforce-talon-ss-baffle-set/

Thus set is just tubing and washers.  Simple 80s design that is used on air rifles a lot around the world.

Need the shrouds inside diameter to design custom baffles.  I'm guessing the inside is an inch or fractional size larger.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Nvrmnd, looks like someone drug this thread back from the dead, lol
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah my ABS 3D printed 22 can has blow up yet, I did get a baffle strike attempting to use .22 shorts.
View Quote
And when it wears out or gets damaged, melt it down and print another one.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://preview.ibb.co/nEvHyL/Capture.jpg
View Quote
A 3D printer can make nearly ANYTHING.  Think outside the box a wee bit.  Maybe try something that would be nearly impossible to machine from metal.

Just as examples, I did one which was like a steep cone but extruded into a coarse helix so that the tube length baffle was a single structure.  I did another where the tube itself was extruded into a helix so that it formed a bore and the can had no internal baffles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I could go into more detail if I wanted, but I won't.  Just posting something for the OP.  I am not going to print anything.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A 3D printer can make nearly ANYTHING.  Think outside the box a wee bit.  Maybe try something that would be nearly impossible to machine from metal.

Just as examples, I did one which was like a steep cone but extruded into a coarse helix so that the tube length baffle was a single structure.  I did another where the tube itself was extruded into a helix so that it formed a bore and the can had no internal baffles.
View Quote
I'm not comprehending what you are describing.  I get you are taking a profile and twisting it as it travels along an axis.  The part of a can with no internal baffles confuses me.  You mean, no baffles, or no seperate baffle components?  A can with no baffles wouldn't be the most efficient use of a set volume.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Take a ca. 1" circle and extrude it around a helix such that the inside edge of the circle produces a bore sized passage along the length of the part.  The helical tube forms the bore and what stand in for baffles.  Thus there are no baffle structures inside the tube.  The tube itself forms "baffles."

Think of a slinky formed into a helix.  Kind of like this but more helical.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I was following an idea that seemed promising and printed a couple of test units only to discover that idea didn't work at all.     Annoying but 3D printing allowed me to find that out quickly and painlessly, other than the time I spend doing the CAD.

However the failure of that idea led me to try something with another design that had never occurred to me to do.  And THAT lead to what I believe will be a BIG breakthrough in front cap design.  This was such a departure from what I had expected to see that I had to try it over and over again just to make sure it was really doing what it seemed to be doing.

So now I've spent some more time on the CAD and a new test unit is currently printing.  3D printing completely changes the R&D game for me.  Prior to this every design idea had to be laboriously produced in metal and test cans had to be designed to be modular or easy to swap out parts.  About 10 years ago when I was new to suppressor design, I spent a week making two test cans and both of them blew up after only 10 rounds each because I had made a mistake with the baffle support.  That was annoying to say the least.

The only downside to embracing 3D printing is that now I can design, build and test suppressors and suppressor parts that I can't actually make on conventional machinery.  If this new idea really works I'm gonna have to find a way to have it 3D printed in metal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
That intricate that it could never be machined?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That intricate that it could never be machined?
View Quote
Absolutely.  Its not even an issue of intricacy but of the shape.  Sections that overhang or blind other sections would preclude getting a tool in there to cut away material.  Or a shape that would be completely unsupported during machining and thus unmachinable.  3D printing really is a new frontier for silencer design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top