Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2022 6:01:42 PM EDT
I see some talk about 3D printing 40mm projectiles.

I started with the basic models from Chev-Tec and have modified, modified, modified about a thousand times to try new and interesting things and to tweak and improve the design.  

I have tried direct impact chalk (ie shoot a hard object directly), indirect impact chalk (ie lob the projectile far downrange), as well as foam nosed "less lethal" and a few other things. I have tried a number of different methods of increasing the weight of 3D printed plastic.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Have they posted the link where their STLs are available yet? I see their youtube videos but I'm not seeing anything direct. I'm familiar with AWCY and middleton, but don't see the chevtec stuff.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC there was a contact email in the video description.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you 3D print a projectile with a hole in the front that accepts a 12ga shell, with the primer facing the target?  Then superglue a BB over the primer of the shell.  Then the thing hits the target, BB hits the primer, 12ga shell explodes, everybody wins.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
With 3D printing, we can make nearly anything.  However there are two issues with your ask.

1.  Is that even legal?

2. Consider the length of a 12ga shell vs the length of a 40mm projectile.  It might fit, I'd have to measure things up but there are more practical and simpler solutions to what you are asking.  Gluing a BB to the primer is pretty crude.  IF I were to make such a contraption I'd design the nose cone to carry a short, blunt nail to act as a firing pin.  There is no limit to what can be accomplished with 3D printing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:11:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Can you 3D print a projectile with a hole in the front that accepts a 12ga shell, with the primer facing the target?  Then superglue a BB over the primer of the shell.  Then the thing hits the target, BB hits the primer, 12ga shell explodes, everybody wins.
View Quote

People are using artillery Sims in the hole.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Project-Boom--2nd-test-video-posted/21-520979/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I read the thread.  Arty sims seem expensive and persnickety.  There is an easier way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I did a few measurements and yep, it could be done without too much trouble.  

However an unconfined 12ga shell being ignited wouldn't produce any significant shrapnel and any it did produce would go away from the target and towards the shooter .... so not the best result I can think of.

If you really wanted serious downrange effects, the choice would be to use a crimped off rifle case full of a fast powder rather than a shotshell.  It'd prob produce a bigger bang with shrapnel.  However one suspects a serious discussion of such a contraption is prob against the law most likely against the ARFcom rules, so ......

Its not something I'd have much interest in even exploring TBH.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Test
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SilencerMan:
With 3D printing, we can make nearly anything.  SNIP

IF I were to make such a contraption I'd design the nose cone to carry a short, blunt nail to act as a firing pin.  There is no limit to what can be accomplished with 3D printing.
View Quote

A point detonating (PD) fuze, with no safe/arming mechanism, is very dangerous, and as described would possibly function on launch (inside the barrel).
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

A point detonating (PD) fuze, with no safe/arming mechanism, is very dangerous, and as described would possibly function on launch (inside the barrel).
View Quote
Yes, which is why I haven't bothered to try it.  Such a mechanism would also require a near head on collision with the target, which cannot be guaranteed, so I suspect the failure rate would be pretty high.  In the end it would be too dangerous and too prone to failure to make it worth pursuing.

There are better, safer and more interesting options worth pursuing IMO.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Are there any existing 3D files that work with the MK Ballistics shells?  I see a seller on gb just listed packs of 12 new shells.  Interested to pick some up, but not sure if they'll work with anything yet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, which is why I haven't bothered to try it.  Such a mechanism would also require a near head on collision with the target, which cannot be guaranteed, so I suspect the failure rate would be pretty high.  In the end it would be too dangerous and too prone to failure to make it worth pursuing.

There are better, safer and more interesting options worth pursuing IMO.
View Quote

Sent IM
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
With 3D printing, we can make nearly anything.  SNIP

IF I were to make such a contraption I'd design the nose cone to carry a short, blunt nail to act as a firing pin.  There is no limit to what can be accomplished with 3D printing.

I would never suggest that it's safe because it's way out of my lane but there was commercial ammo sold that had a primer and powder in the hollow point. Old school gun stuff was crazy.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-1061339/

http://www.thegunmag.com/explode-expand-devastate-exaggerate-pursuit-better-bullets/
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone had much luck with getting STLs from ChevTac recently? I have tried emailing a few times and haven't had any response back.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Extrabonez:
Anyone had much luck with getting STLs from ChevTac recently? I have tried emailing a few times and haven't had any response back.
View Quote

I really apologize that I've missed your emails. I've been super busy with a new baby and trying to spend any extra time to work on some exciting new projects (including a new point detonation round with a safety fuze).

Send me an email one more time and include your username. I'll keep an eye out for it.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

I really apologize that I've missed your emails. I've been super busy with a new baby and trying to spend any extra time to work on some exciting new projects (including a new point detonation round with a safety fuze).

Send me an email one more time and include your username. I'll keep an eye out for it.

[email protected]
View Quote

No problem, I know how life gets in the way. I sent you an email, and I appreciate the response here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bugapeno:
Are there any existing 3D files that work with the MK Ballistics shells?  I see a seller on gb just listed packs of 12 new shells.  Interested to pick some up, but not sure if they'll work with anything yet.
View Quote

Those short shells should work with almost all of my printed projectiles. They may be a little tight though. You can sand them to fit or resize the base in tinkercad.  

I've been meaning to pick up some of those to do some load development. And the green ones would look sick with the new rounds I'm working on
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Those short shells should work with almost all of my printed projectiles. They may be a little tight though. You can sand them to fit or resize the base in tinkercad.  

I've been meaning to pick up some of those to do some load development. And the green ones would look sick with the new rounds I'm working on
View Quote

I don't really love how they are direct to low pressure chamber venting. I'd like to see a High / Low system like the real shells.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone used these blanks for propellant charges?  Finding the actual 38S&W blanks in stock is difficult.
https://www.perfectshotllc.com/product/38038-short-blanks-smokeless-full-load/
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By usmcagg02:
Has anyone used these blanks for propellant charges?  Finding the actual 38S&W blanks in stock is difficult.
https://www.perfectshotllc.com/product/38038-short-blanks-smokeless-full-load/
View Quote

I haven't used those specific ones, but I just got some 38spc full loads in from Boland Ordinance Supply. They are the same length as the traditional lift 38sw blank but are a little loose, so a tiny bit of RTV is needed to hold them in. But the loading creates the right trajectory and doesn't explode nylon cases.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#21]

[email protected]
View Quote

Sent you an email for a link; fiddled with 37mm, but time to try out some 40mm.

ETA: Received, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#22]
exciting new projects (including a new point detonation round with a safety fuze)
View Quote

Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NAM:

Any updates on this?
View Quote

Starting to work on it again after a bit of a hiatus. Also have someone else doing testing and development on it. Hopefully I'll have some updates in the coming weeks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Starting to work on it again after a bit of a hiatus. Also have someone else doing testing and development on it. Hopefully I'll have some updates in the coming weeks.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#25]
Finally got my printer up and running again. Time to start printing some ammo while I'm waiting for my Form 1 to come back.

ETA: What are you guys using for infill on most of your items? For 37mm chalk, around 50% was good. Any less would blow through. Same for 40mm? Printing Smoke V8 for point detonating M183.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally got my printer up and running again. Time to start printing some ammo while I'm waiting for my Form 1 to come back.

ETA: What are you guys using for infill on most of your items? For 37mm chalk, around 50% was good. Any less would blow through. Same for 40mm? Printing Smoke V8 for point detonating M183.
View Quote

Ive just been doing 100%
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By homemadeammo42:

Ive just been doing 100%
View Quote

I thought I came back and edited my post; looks like 100% is the way.

Printed out a nipple round, but it came out funky. Switched to BOOMv6, and it came out perfect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Even for chalk nose cones?  Seems like having them at a lower infill so they can break on impact would be good.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Even for chalk nose cones?  Seems like having them at a lower infill so they can break on impact would be good.
View Quote

Those are so thin it doesn't really matter. It's basically a shell with very little space for infill.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Ive never not had one break on impact. Granted I shoot at a rock quarry.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got my ABS settings dialed in for chalk nosecones. Now to get pushers sorted out. I've used lead slugs in place of washers to add some weight. Looking for an off the shelf option; going to try 3/4x10 threaded rod. Denser than washers and possibly more centered, CG wise. Drew up two modifications, one about halfway deep and one straight through.

Just waiting to hear back from ATF. Today is one month.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Loving my Bambu Lab X1-Carbon printer.   Figured had to do something with the 1,000 M183 impact fuzes we purchased earlier in the year.

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice nipplebombs! What's the detonation ratio you're getting? I have some loaded but haven't had a chance to fire any yet (waiting on paperwork).  Buddy had a high dud rate using a 20ga subcal in an M203. Thinking they were tumbling and not hitting on point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#34]
The more glue/EPOXY the better in those rounds. Some goes for the other 14.5mm round. If the sim comes loose from firing you'll get erratic flight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: homemadeammo42] [#35]
Ive had 2 of 20 not detonate. I recovered the arty sim and they did hit nose first, so they were just duds. Still working with Chevtec on testing a boom round that doesn't need those. Hoping to get out this weekend for another test.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice nipplebombs! What's the detonation ratio you're getting? I have some loaded but haven't had a chance to fire any yet (waiting on paperwork).  Buddy had a high dud rate using a 20ga subcal in an M203. Thinking they were tumbling and not hitting on point.
View Quote

Only shot 6 so far and all worked.  I'm printing out another 12 now with extra weight at the bottom to make sure they impact with enough force to detonate.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TreddBarton:

Only shot 6 so far and all worked.  I'm printing out another 12 now with extra weight at the bottom to make sure they impact with enough force to detonate.

https://i.postimg.cc/zXNfsMtp/Capture.jpg

View Quote

Let us know how that works out. There is a fine line where too much weight will soften the launch forces too much, which will cause the setback fuze to not full activate, and makes the fuze much harder to detonate.

Thats why the plastic projectiles work so much better, the lighter weight. People used to glue these 14.5s to regular pushers but got mostly duds. Then some guys made pushers out of aluminum with a lot more success, but that took a good amount of machining, I have some of their pushers and had less luck with those than the printed ones.

I still want to try making these with 50 cal spotter projectile to see if they'd work at all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#38]
If you could get the trace compound to reliably ignite, that would make for some really cool projos.

On a related note, CDVS is out of the arty sims. Is there another decent source?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I just use glow stickers/paint for tracers when shooting with NVGs. It works pretty well.

Mutinymachine is the only source I know of with 14.5s left
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I just use glow stickers/paint for tracers when shooting with NVGs. It works pretty well.

View Quote

Curious if glow in the dark filament would work. Some (commercial, non military) tracers work on a similar principle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#41]
What about using something like #12 lead shot to fill a cavity in the base of the printed pusher, then epoxy over the top?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SaturationTech:
What about using something like #12 lead shot to fill a cavity in the base of the printed pusher, then epoxy over the top?
View Quote

Years ago, before 3D printers were a thing I was playing around with making components with silicone molds and casting them out of resin. To add weight, I did exactly that. I'd put a bunch of small lead shot in a cup and then add slow setting epoxy to it to make a gooey mix and then fill the cavities with that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have luck 3d printing 40mm cases? If so, what type of filament? Single use or reusable?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have luck 3d printing 40mm cases? If so, what type of filament? Single use or reusable?
View Quote

I played around with it. Generally one-time use, so they aren't really worth the print time investment.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By homemadeammo42:

I played around with it. Generally one-time use, so they aren't really worth the print time investment.
View Quote

And in some cases, one time use is ok. For something used alot (chalk) .mil M212 cases make sense. For something that's likely going to be single use (i.e. OC, Smoke, etc), ~60 cents for a one time use case isn't so horrible.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TreddBarton:

https://i.postimg.cc/zXNfsMtp/Capture.jpg

View Quote

I want to buy some
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top