Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2019 1:15:04 AM EDT
I have a new 1894 with an 18.5" barrel.

I'd like to slay some hogs with it when I can, but ammunition velocity and performance out of rifle-length barrels seem to be all over the place, with the different bullet designs and weights.

I need something that penetrates, but I'd prefer it to expand as well.

I was looking at Federal's load with the Barnes all-copper expanding bullet in the 140 grain flavor. It seems like it would do the trick, although I don't want it to be watered-down like a lot of the magnum ammo on the market today. I cannot seem to find any chronograph tests for this load/bullet.

Underwood has some interesting choices, but some gel tests on YouTube showed insufficient penetration from a rifle.

Federal's 158 grain JSP also looks to have potential.

Any input would be radical.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Buffalo Bore's Heavy .357Mag loads in either 158grn or 180grn.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The issue you are going to run into is design related. The vast majority of .357 magnum ammunition is designed for a handgun, not a rifle. Rilfes can get higher velocity which can push the projectile outside of the designed performance envelope and lead to performance failures. For example, a projectile designed to expand at 1500 fps (out of a revolver) is most likely going to fragment and not penetrate deep enough at 1950 fps (out of a carbine).

If it were me, I would go with a hard cast lead projectile of a heavy for caliber weight (maybe 180 grains) going as fast as I can get it while keeping accuracy to around 4 MOA or better.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
158gr JSP. Any one will do.

Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I used 164gr Remington JHP hunting rounds to shoot a 6 point. It did the job but I do not recommend hollow points. No pass through and no blood but did not go far. SP for me from now on.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag. I’ve also got an 1894C
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington .357 mag 158gr SJHP carbine Gel Test Review

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buffalo Bore's Heavy .357Mag loads in either 158grn or 180grn.
View Quote
OP, I'd bet a phone call to Buffalo Bore would resolve your uncertainties.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The issue you are going to run into is design related. The vast majority of .357 magnum ammunition is designed for a handgun, not a rifle. Rilfes can get higher velocity which can push the projectile outside of the designed performance envelope and lead to performance failures. For example, a projectile designed to expand at 1500 fps (out of a revolver) is most likely going to fragment and not penetrate deep enough at 1950 fps (out of a carbine).

If it were me, I would go with a hard cast lead projectile of a heavy for caliber weight (maybe 180 grains) going as fast as I can get it while keeping accuracy to around 4 MOA or better.
View Quote
Yep, that's why hardcast 180grn 357mag loads like Buffalo Bore's @ 1,851fps are such good hunting loads.  Many of us handload 180grn or 200grn loads for hunting with .357mag leverguns.

Buffalo Bore's 180grn Hardcast HERE.

Grizzly's 200grn Hardcast HERE.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Agree with this option for hunting rounds.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot a hog and a deer, both with RNFP hollowpoints that I cast. Although both animals died, I wasn't impressed with the lack of penetration. I'll be switching to a heavy-ish SWC or WFN.

Here's the bullet out of the hog.

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've shot a hog and a deer, both with RNFP hollowpoints that I cast. Although both animals died, I wasn't impressed with the lack of penetration. I'll be switching to a heavy-ish SWC or WFN.

Here's the bullet out of the hog.

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Hunting/357%20Carbine%20bullet_zpso8w7xbdx.jpg
View Quote
What bullet is that?  Any load specs you can share?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was cast from a Miha 357 Carbine mould. The bullet pictured weighs 162 grs. as cast. A smaller HP pin ups the weight to around 170 grs. Load is 15.0 of H-110.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Big fan of the Keith style 357 bullets, cast and loaded a bunch

That said, I’ve only killed 2 deer with my 16” rossi, both using Hornady Leverlution. Complete pass through on 2 deer one heart/lung and the other a tad high and nicked the spine. Great factory load
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was cast from a Miha 357 Carbine mould. The bullet pictured weighs 162 grs. as cast. A smaller HP pin ups the weight to around 170 grs. Load is 15.0 of H-110.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  Looks like a great snubnose bullet
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#15]
loaded some Buffalo Bore's 180grn bullets up. Its been over ten years probably. I dont remember the load but, I didnt load them hot. At 100 yards on a wet bank out of my Lever action carbine, it sounds like a hammer hitting the bank.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Good ideas so far.  158 gr JSP not JHP.
Federal also makes a 180gr CastCore item# P357J Vital Shok.

I work think any ammo with Barnes 140gr all Copper bullet would work if you want expansion, but not sure if would come apart at close range.  My experience with other Barnes TSX bullets are they are tough and penetrate deep, no recovered bullets to look at on Whitetails.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#17]
The problem with expanding bullets is the enlarged frontal area greatly decreases penetration.
 I shot a tough little doe with the above pictured bullet a couple of weeks ago. She went down but was not dead, so when she raised her head in an attempt to stand up, I shot her in the neck. I was amazed that the  bullet didn't exit. Even on the broadside shot the bullet didn't exit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Big fan of the Keith style 357 bullets, cast and loaded a bunch

That said, I've only killed 2 deer with my 16" rossi, both using Hornady Leverlution. Complete pass through on 2 deer one heart/lung and the other a tad high and nicked the spine. Great factory load
View Quote
I've got some 255grn Keith style for my 45 Colt leverguns and even at only 1,205fps, they hit really hard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks y'all.

I agree with the points on penetration and the recommendations for some hot 180 grain hard cast loads.

But wouldn't some expansion be better for game? I would think a jacketed soft point would do well if it would penetrate deeply. I can't seem to find much info on gel testing out of a carbine/rifle with JSP loads.

I have half a box of Sellier & Bellot 158 grain Jacketed Soft Point ammo. I was wondering how this would do, but don't want to take a chance and end up tracking/losing an animal.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Then treat it like archery at first.

Know your anatomy
Keep your distance short and carefully place your shots.

If I could legally hunt deer with a suppressed 22 I would.

Just put the bullet where it needs to be and have the restraint to let it go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Fiocchi 125gr sjsp
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good advice. However, check your local game regs. In MO hard cast isn’t allowed for hunting. Underwood is another good choice of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Hornady Lever Evolution 140grn.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Federal's 158 gr JSP load in both American Eagle and Champion flavors gives me  1820 fps in my 20" Rossi Model 92.  The JSP loads don't have the fragmentation issues of the hollow points at higher carbine and short rifle velocities and will instead mushroom to a very effective diameter with plenty of penetration.

I also get 2 MOA 5 shot 100 yards groups in my tang sighted 20" carbine and 24" rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there a reason that no one has mentioned federal fusion?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top