Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2020 11:34:58 AM EDT
A friend wants me to help him reload for his 350 Legend (AR style).. and tips tricks?  Things to stay away from?

Was thinking of the Hornady die set.. and starting with the 170gr Hornady .355 Interlocks with Lil'gun..

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
For me, crimping is unnecessary. There's enough tension it's no issue. Trimming is also unnecessary, as long as they're under max. Watch, most of the cases I got (virgin or as factory ammo) were cut cockeyed as hell. Watch your chamfer/deburr, and you'll probably have to mess with the expander to get it right. I think my rcbs expander needs to be cut down, as the stem will expand way too deep to get to the flare part. I have a 9mm M die that I'm going to play with next time I load some. A good flare and chamfer is key to getting the bullets seated straight and consistently.

That said, I'm happy with 2½"@100 for this gun. If I take the time to deburr flash holes, trim, and light crimp (which is really just a function of the trim), it goes down to a solid 1½".

I'm using a federal AR-match primer, winchester cases, 24.7gr lilgun, and a 165gr FTX seated to just under 2.260.

I've loaded 180gr PowerPoints with low 24's on the charge. They're pretty hot, and I'm not happy with the accuracy of them. The factory ammo was worse.

The load may need tuning, but using WSR or #41 primers printed significantly larger groups.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Hornady dies and 170gr Interlocks (355) are inbound.. Found some Lil'gun at the LGS.. have plenty of spent winchester cases to reload.. so will give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully you have better luck with the 170gr interlock than I did. As factory ammo it made pretty bad groups. Still usable for 350L range, but nothing like what I can load with the 165 ftx.

I picked up a box of the 170s the other day anyway, since the price was right, they do feed decently well and they're better than no bullets. I have no doubt they'll kill stuff just fine.

Seems hornady didn't make a huge run of the ftx, and I'm sure now they're making all the 9/.223 they can. So probably won't see them for quite a while. At least I have enough to last many deer seasons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top