Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 69 of 77)
Page / 77
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Has anyone seen data for or tried to reload 300BLK with Leverevolution?  I imagine it'd probably be a compressed load, if not completely full case.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
The remarks about H110 revolve around its tendency to be just fine up to a point. Then with little extra added powder it starts really pounding the snot out of your brass.

Its a "magnum" pistol powder, and that's how magnum pistol powders tend to play.

You can get that extra 100 fps out of it over other powders. But watch out when you go for that extra 125.
View Quote

Yeah, I generally do 5 round test ladders, but this is a middling load, according to Hornady. I'm not to worried about that (I'll definitely check the first few brass for signs of issues).
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
The remarks about H110 revolve around its tendency to be just fine up to a point. Then with little extra added powder it starts really pounding the snot out of your brass.

Its a "magnum" pistol powder, and that's how magnum pistol powders tend to play.

You can get that extra 100 fps out of it over other powders. But watch out when you go for that extra 125.
View Quote

Well put!
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally got back to load testing powder coated bullets in the BO.

Just to recap: I'm using the Lee 160 TL-2R powder coated and gas checked sized to .311"

They are targeted for 12 to 14 BHN hardness wise and checked with Hornady  copper gas checks after powder coating.

My last set of test loads were 15.5 to 17 grains of Lil-gun. I tested at 50 yards. The 16gr load shot the best group. 17gr seems to be a little bit too hot. They shot ok but were showing some pressure signs.

I wanted to try these same bullets but with flat tips made in my trim die (see photo) but I simply can't get this rifle to feed a flat tipped bullet. I know the AR was not designed to shoot flat points but also know a few of you guys do without any issues.

My rifle jams them right into the roof of the barrel extension. Attachment Attached File

Motor
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
With TSX and TTSX bullets being stupid high when you can find them, IF you can find them, I am looking for an alternative. Intended use is night deer hunting so velocity is king.

Will be using H110 as I have a lot of it on hand.

I have a bunch of 110vmax/zmax as well but would prefer something that doesn't fragment quite as much.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
With TSX and TTSX bullets being stupid high when you can find them, IF you can find them, I am looking for an alternative. Intended use is night deer hunting so velocity is king.

Will be using H110 as I have a lot of it on hand.

I have a bunch of 110vmax/zmax as well but would prefer something that doesn't fragment quite as much.
View Quote
Not all have had as good of luck, but the 110g Hornady GMX shot very well out of my 10" 1:7 CMMG barrel. Also, not easy to find. I was able to stay in the mid to high 2200s fps and right at 1" at 100 yards but I had to go to max published loads.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]

I finally got in loading 300 blk and started with some old hornady z-max 110gr bullets I had that I got a clearance years ago.  With 15.5gr of Alliant 2400, as you can see in the video, they're quite the flash beast and cycle the action reliably.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Loaded a dummy with the Lee C309-150-F. They fed and chambered once I figured out OAL, but they didn’t stand up well to the trip. Gas check is below the neck too. Can’t say as that fills me with joy.

But I’m a cheap MFer and I’ll load some to see what happens.

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:14:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheDude315] [#9]
This may be old news to the more experienced guys, but I thought I'd share. I loaded up some 110 Hornady Vmax using the common 2.04" COAL and 80% of them would not feed correctly. I spent 5 minutes and used dryflash3 method of marking ogive and came out to a COAL of 2.15". These rounds feed flawlessly. I just wanted to express my gratitude.

Starline 300blk out brass
19.8 grains of H110
CCI BR4 primers
Hornady 110gr V-max

I hand dropped them into the chamber so I could at least tune the gas block and zero the scope. The accuracy and precision were tremendous. I only went to 75 yards, but it was very close if not sub-MOA. I didnt expect that with an 8" barrel. I had zero POI shift from the suppressor as well.

@hoodfu what trigger are you using? That was pretty impressive!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The overwhelming preference for cast seems to be powder/Hitek coated. Has anyone shot conventionally  lubed and gas checked bullets in their rifle?

I plan for a target velocity around 1,600 FPS. I have no issue driving conventionally lubed and checked bullets to 2,000+ FPS in lever actions, but this will be a first for me with a gas operated rifle. Cleaning isn’t an issue. Even "really dirty." Rifles need cleaning no matter what you shoot and patches are cheap. Heavy leading or some functional problem on the other hand…

I’ll powder coat if I have to, but I’d like to get away without that extra equipment and process. What are your experiences?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m imashooter2 over on the Cast Boolits forum. I’m 64 and I’ve been doing this for over 55 years, having started on my Daddy’s knee. I appreciate what you are saying Dryflash, but from what I’ve read and watched, powder coat looks slow and tedious and I really don’t want to do it. I’m sure if I have to I can do it successfully, but if I can avoid it that’s what I’ll do.

So… anyone shot conventionally lubed cast?
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheDude315:
This may be old news to the more experienced guys, but I thought I'd share. I loaded up some 110 Hornady Vmax using the common 2.04" COAL and 80% of them would not feed correctly. I spent 5 minutes and used dryflash3 method of marking ogive and came out to a COAL of 2.15". These rounds feed flawlessly. I just wanted to express my gratitude.

Starline 300blk out brass
19.8 grains of H110
CCI BR4 primers
Hornady 110gr V-max

I hand dropped them into the chamber so I could at least tune the gas block and zero the scope. The accuracy and precision were tremendous. I only went to 75 yards, but it was very close if not sub-MOA. I didnt expect that with an 8" barrel. I had zero POI shift from the suppressor as well.

@hoodfu what trigger are you using? That was pretty impressive!
View Quote

In the for what it's worth department, I load my 300 Blk this way:

New Starline Brass
19.1 grains Lil'Gun
CCI 450 primers
Hornady 110 gr VMax
COAL 2.070"

Feeds flawlessly in 2 AR's
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Both my 220 gr RN and 170 gr RN fed, stayed subsonic, AND cycled cleanly when shooting suppressed from my 12.5” AAC branded upper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 1:51:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thenning] [#16]
I cannot find a Lyman M die in stock, was thinking about an NOE expander.  Not too sure of their sizes, but the cast bullets I'm thinking about are .309/.310. Which expander should I get? 311x307?  
Thanks.

ETA:  I think I figured it out, found a chart. I'm going to grab a couple different sizes since they are $7.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 1:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cheekibreeki] [#17]
Per Sierra on the 125 gr Tipped GameKing bullets:

"The 125gr TGK loaded in the Game Changer is designed with the 300 BLK in mind, and will give reliable expansion down to around 1500fps, which gives you a range of about 250yd on game with the muzzle velocity you get with the 300BLK game changer ammunition. "

I don't see these as components often, but sounds like another bullet made with 300 BLK velocity in mind.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bigdb1:
The overwhelming preference for cast seems to be powder/Hitek coated. Has anyone shot conventionally  lubed and gas checked bullets in their rifle?

I plan for a target velocity around 1,600 FPS. I have no issue driving conventionally lubed and checked bullets to 2,000+ FPS in lever actions, but this will be a first for me with a gas operated rifle. Cleaning isn’t an issue. Even "really dirty." Rifles need cleaning no matter what you shoot and patches are cheap. Heavy leading or some functional problem on the other hand…

I’ll powder coat if I have to, but I’d like to get away without that extra equipment and process. What are your experiences?
View Quote

Shot 20 Lee C312-155-2R yesterday in proof of concept. Sized .310 and lubed with White Label Lube Carnauba Red. Granted it was only 20 shots, but the bore was clean and the rest of the rifle not very dirty either. Conventionally lubed cast are going to work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Hoping someone might be able to answer this:

Loading on a Dillon 650 with Lee dies. Short body of the sizing die means you have to put the nut on the bottom of the toolhead. This has a couple of problems, harder to adjust and interferes with my UFO press light. I am looking at RCBS small base dies but noted the body looks shorter than their full length die. Does it suffer the same issue as the Lee or is it longer?

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Received my Lee 230 mold this week. Maybe I’ll have a chance to go use it this summer.

I wanted an alternative to the NOE 247. Id love an NOE .310 200SPBO mold, but I haven’t seen one in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#21]
Ok....... i am a bit baffled here.

The mold I have is a Lee 309-160-R.

Pictured is where I had to seat the dummy round to in order to get it to chamber, and it still wont fit in my case checker. Next to a 110 Vmax loaded to book length 2.05" for reference.

Is this mold just not going to work for 300 BLK?

Bullet looks a little mangled due to seating further after crimping.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
https://i.imgur.com/iVrvup1l.jpg

For me that bullet gets seated at the crimp grove.

Middle row, third from the top.

You are seating way too deep.
View Quote

You are correct. Thanks for the boost to keep trying to troubleshoot the problem.

It seems I had the expander die set for a little too much flare. I will need to order the NOE insert for this universal Lee die to make it more usable. You can over do it way too easy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:01:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#25]

I have some of the Speer 125gr tnt projectiles I'd like to load up. I only have 1680 on hand and would like more velocity than what it offers.

Is there a consensus on which powder is better for supers between H110 and Lil' Gun? Or just get whatever is available?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HBIII:

I have some of the Speer 125gr tnt projectiles I'd like to load up. I only have 1680 on hand and would like more velocity than what it offers.

Is there a consensus on which powder is better for supers between H110 and Lil' Gun? Or just get whatever is available?
View Quote

Probably H110, but I have great luck with 4227. Not the fastest but quiet, no flash and clean burning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

Probably H110, but I have great luck with 4227. Not the fastest but quiet, no flash and clean burning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HBIII:

I have found H110 for light supers (up to 125 gr) and L'il Gun for mid-weight supers (160-ish gr). All that said, I have not tried CFE Black.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks all, I'll look for some H-110 as I have some Barnes TAC-TX 110gr I'd like to load up too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I have found H-110 to work best for me with 135 gr bullets and lighter.

Heavier than 135 grs, I use Lil Gun.
View Quote

Thanks. I appreciate the basic guidelines.  I have both powders and some 30 cal tracers that need a home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sheltot:

I have found H110 for light supers (up to 125 gr) and L'il Gun for mid-weight supers (160-ish gr). All that said, I have not tried CFE Black.
View Quote

I have found H-110 to work best for me with 135 gr bullets and lighter.

Heavier than 135 grs, I use Lil Gun.
View Quote

Yep yep
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I developed that powder rule after working up some H-110 load with 150 gr bullets.

Was working up, reached max listed charge.

Next load was .2 grs more powder and I blew a primer. A first for me.

Tried 1 more with the same results. Stopped shooting those loads. Second blown primer and the last.

Been about 8 years since this happened.

So got home pulled all 150 gr H-110 loaded rounds and did a work up with Lil Gun.

Been using Lil Gun for my heavies ever since.

Had pics, photopirate ate them.
View Quote

My story is similar.  I was working up loads using W296, CCI SRPs and the 147 gr. General Dynamics bullets that Wideners was selling.  I had a four or five step ladder, five rounds of each, separated by 0.2 gr.  When I got to the last five, the velocity went up more than I anticipated and #4 popped the primer as did #5.

I, too, then made the switch to L'il Gun for the mid-weight supers.  And I stopped reaching for that last bit of velocity since they're mainly intended for cheap-ish plinking.

For subs, I use 1680 and of course have had no pressure problems as one tends to work down.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I needed to load up some more .300 blk subs so I started processing the brass. After several partially punched out primers, I adjusted the Hornady zip spindle a bit too much and broke it .

Since I don't have a lot of .300 blk brass I decided to finally try cutting down some .223 while I wait for the new sizing die. I've got a several thousand cases with head stamps I don't reload (PPU, WCC, etc.) and figured they'd work for .300.

I really don't like time consuming brass prep but, using the tutorials in this thread, figured I'd give it a shot. Grabbed the $30 HF chop saw and got about 300 cut down. Once the die is in I'll resize, swage and trim. Easier than I anticipated but still time consuming. Right now I do .300 blk on the Dillon 550. The 1050 is dedicated to .223. Now I'm thinking I'll get the 1050 set up to process and load .300 blk. I hate brass prep and I've gotten to where I shoot .300 as much as anything.

One thing that was interesting - the PPU brass was noticeably thicker walled than other head stamps. Thick enough the chop saw bogged, where others it zipped right through. PPU averaged .015 thick and others were .011.

LC on left, PPU center, Hornady Frontier right.

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone using the 311-410 mold?

Throws out ~130 grain bullets

I was hoping to get a cheap supersonic round I could cast but Im having a hell of a time getting these to feed.

Granted I have been using the HP profile. On my gun it digs into the barrel face preventing feeding. Ill have to give the FP profile a try to see if that helps but I have my doubts.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was using this mold or profile and had a winning COAL for a semi gun

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Anyone using the 311-410 mold?

Throws out ~130 grain bullets

I was hoping to get a cheap supersonic round I could cast but Im having a hell of a time getting these to feed.

Granted I have been using the HP profile. On my gun it digs into the barrel face preventing feeding. Ill have to give the FP profile a try to see if that helps but I have my doubts.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was using this mold or profile and had a winning COAL for a semi gun

https://i.imgur.com/4qU9DOlh.jpg
View Quote

No but Speer 125 TNT can be found pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Ive got those. Casting brings it down to pennies vs dimes
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Well now I'm curious if you figure out the casting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Well now I'm curious if you figure out the casting.
View Quote

Got a winner for the heavy side

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Got a winner for the heavy side

https://i.imgur.com/rdodXjXh.jpg

View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Which one?
View Quote

These are the MP Mold 311-235

Im getting about 220 grain bullets using the larger HP pin

Feeds pretty good in my gun. However the larger head can sometimes drag inside the mag. I get issues loading more than 20 rounds. But loading 20 I can fire 99% of them without a issue from the magazine generally.

Nice, cheap, fun and Id bargain to say it would do some damage on a critter

Id love to get the 130 grain ones to work right
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#42]

These are the MP Mold 311-235

Im getting about 220 grain bullets using the larger HP pin

Feeds pretty good in my gun. However the larger head can sometimes drag inside the mag. I get issues loading more than 20 rounds. But loading 20 I can fire 99% of them without a issue from the magazine generally.

Nice, cheap, fun and Id bargain to say it would do some damage on a critter

Id love to get the 130 grain ones to work right
View Quote

Are you using pmag 300s? If not try them. I really like how berrys 220s shoot in my guns and they seem pretty potent. I'd like to cast some too but don't really have the time right now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Are you using pmag 300s? If not try them. I really like how berrys 220s shoot in my guns and they seem pretty potent. I'd like to cast some too but don't really have the time right now.
View Quote

Im using a Hk53 so my options are rather limited
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Ah yes I forgot . Love that thing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#45]
Well I adjusted the cant of the magazine with a ton of work changing it a few degrees trying to get it to nose up slightly

I loaded up 5 more of the 130gr 311-410 mold bullets with a coal of 2.035

I'm now getting feeding when cycling the action. They now feed pretty good and don't damage the hollowpoint nose.. Except for the last round. It crashes no matter what I try.

I guess all things considered thats not so bad

Now I have to polish the magwell and refinish

Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Well I adjusted the cant of the magazine with a ton of work changing it a few degrees trying to get it to nose up slightly

I loaded up 5 more of the 130gr 311-410 mold bullets with a coal of 2.035

I'm now getting feeding when cycling the action. They now feed pretty good and don't damage the hollowpoint nose.. Except for the last round. It crashes no matter what I try.

I guess all things considered thats not so bad

Now I have to polish the magwell and refinish

View Quote

Maybe try a new/stronger spring in your mag if possible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Any reason not to use Remington 6.5 SR primers in 300BLK subs?

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:07:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kerry_Handel] [#48]
Looks like Mighty Armory is coming out with a new 300BLK case forming & trim die.

https://www.facebook.com/mightyarmory/videos/4192989360779180/

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Vegitan:
Any reason not to use Remington 6.5 SR primers in 300BLK subs?

View Quote

Those will be fine for any low-pressure load.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone messing with the 265 gr ds bullets?  I have been fooling around with them with great success.  Once i have something zeroed in, will post data.
Page / 77
300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 69 of 77)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top