Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2020 12:19:39 AM EDT
I've built too many 5.56 ARs, time to get something bigger.

I'm thinking about doing a pistol build to fit on an existing lower with a slick-side lightweight upper and a 8" to 10.5" barrel. From the data I've seen, 300 peaks in efficiency/inch at about an 8" barrel and 350 at about 10".

My purpose will be a 100 yard hunting rifle and if I like it I may add a light and keep it as a HD gun.

Any input on 300 BO vs 350 Legend from a 10.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't MI split on hunting caliber?  (Part of the states requires .35 or larger?)

I'm a total .300blk fan boi...but > 11 inches?   Hunting weapon? 350 Legend

ETA? HD as well?  Possible feed issue concerns with straight walls.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the South half is 35 Cal and larger and a lot of other rules. With the North half I can hunt with anything centerfire (30 round 556 10.5" AR is OK) in a pistol or any centerfire rifle with a 5-round mag.

I hunt the North side.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
And it had to be straight walled.....

If you are hunting and since 350 legend seems to have been designed more or less specifically for hunting in place that have restrictions like Michigan ....use that
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait a few weeks for the parts and I'll let you know how the wife's 350 pistol goes.

Using a faxon barrel and block
Spike's tube and upper
Aero s-one mlok
Bootleg carrier (will be using bushwhacker 46)
Poverty pony lower
PSA sba4 lpk
Mbt2s trigger

Haven't ordered yet but thinking about a leupold vx3i-2-8x36. Seems small/light enough for a good bit of power for her blind eyes. Will probably live on 5x in the stand and 3x when walking.

Also going to throw some magpul rail covers and hand stop on it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
350 Legend. Not even close.

I love 300 BLK, but it's a very specialized round.  Honestly any firearm chambered in 300 BLK that has a barrel longer than about 10" shouldn't exist in my book, because there are better alternatives.

300 BLK is the king of short suppressed setups. And that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
350 Legend. Not even close.

I love 300 BLK, but it's a very specialized round.  Honestly any firearm chambered in 300 BLK that has a barrel longer than about 10" shouldn't exist in my book, because there are better alternatives.

300 BLK is the king of short suppressed setups. And that's about it.
View Quote

This is really helpful.  I don't plan on suppressing my hunting rigs.  I look into it about once a year but every time I do I think "$800 and an extra 8" at the end of my 10.5" gun and I might as well get an 18" rifle round upper for my hunting AR"
If I were shooting mag dumps without hearing protection I would go suppressed but I just can't see the advantages of carrying around a suppressor for a couple shots a year over a much longer barrel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The 300 blk really shines in a suppressed short barrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Macchina:

This is really helpful.  I don't plan on suppressing my hunting rigs.  I look into it about once a year but every time I do I think "$800 and an extra 8" at the end of my 10.5" gun and I might as well get an 18" rifle round upper for my hunting AR"
If I were shooting mag dumps without hearing protection I would go suppressed but I just can't see the advantages of carrying around a suppressor for a couple shots a year over a much longer barrel.
View Quote

Get a suppressor and you won’t think that. Inexpensive and light hunting silencers exist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top