Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 3:35:29 PM EDT
After years and years, I finally got into .300 BO.

I built a .300 BO with a 7.5" barrel. I intend to shoot it solely suppressed with subs.

I finally shot it today with some hand loads. 208 gr AMAX's, with 12.0gr of CFE Black, which according to the Sierra App I have should be 1080 fps.

Tested my first 5 rounds today, and they're stable, and quiet as hell! Only thing is they don't cycle 100% reliably. Obviously there is not enough gas getting back to the action to push the BCG back.

Now my question is; am I really getting 1080fps? If the app doesn't know what barrel length I'm using it wouldn't know the true velocity, and I dont have access to a Chrono.

Does anyone know from experience what kinda speeds I'm actually getting? Can I afford to up my powder, or do I need to turn my attention toward the gun?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You really need a chronograph to test your loads. I used 12 gr cfe black on 190 gr sns plated bullets out of my 10.5" and was getting 1050 fps. Seating depth plays a part in the pressures and speeds you get also. Best to confirm on your own equipment. A reloaders must have.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
For subsonic velocities you can build a chrono with a vise, level, some paper, 1x1 strips, a laser, careful measuring, and a calculator.

Place gun in vise.  Ensure bore is level to ground and lock in place (cleaning rod down the muzzle, very small bit sticking out, and a bubble level).

Easiest for math to measure in meters.  Place target 10m in front of muzzle.  Laser down the muzzle, mark point on paper. Fire a shot.  Measure vertical distance from marked point to center of bullet hole.

9.8m/sec/sec on the drop, plug-n-chug on a calculator to figure out drop time.  This gives time for bullet to travel 10m.  More plug-n-chug to get meters/sec.  More plug-n-chug to get feet/sec.

Did this in the late 80s when I skipped three weeks of high school fizzicks class to shoot skeet, small bore rifle, go fishing and get some diving in.  Had to make up the work I missed when we were covering gravity.  Did it with a single shot 22 and 22 shorts, compared my results to a real chrono and was 5fps off....

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Until you run them across a chronograph you are guessing..
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll start looking through the 71 pages, lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
buying a chronograph will be easier
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You really need a chronograph to test your loads. I used 12 gr cfe black on 190 gr sns plated bullets out of my 10.5" and was getting 1050 fps. Seating depth plays a part in the pressures and speeds you get also. Best to confirm on your own equipment. A reloaders must have.
View Quote
Magnetospeed Sporter is very simple and one of easiest to set up.  Mostly inexpensive too and harder to shoot/destroy.

If you use reading glasses, secure a set to the container you keep this with.  The device was absolutely useless to me when I forgot my glasses almost every time.

It did work very well to help diagnose the issue I was having.

I didn't know I needed a chrony until I bought this one, now I won't be without one. (Labradar now)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top