Posted: 8/15/2022 3:11:08 PM EDT
New brass
CCI 400 primer
12.3 grains of CFE BLK
Hornady Sub-X 190 grain bullets
RCBS seating die

Here's the load data from Hornady:

Attachment Attached File

And here's how they're turning out.  The bullets and case neck/shoulders are deforming when I try to seat the bullet.  The cases are actually shortening visibly.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
How well does the bullet slide in and out of a fresh case?
Recheck the seating die. Crimp shoulder could definitely be set too deep.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How well does the bullet slide in and out of a fresh case?
Recheck the seating die. Crimp shoulder could definitely be set too deep.
View Quote

I can insert a bullet to the top of the boat tail and then it stops.

Just ran a couple cases back through the sizing die to see if the neck was too tight.  Same result...bullet and case deformation.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a dumb ass.  Figured it out.  Had the seating die screwed all the way down to the case holder.  Was literally crushing the cases.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I would unscrew the locking ring and back the seating stem out a good ways. Then take a factory round and run it up. Then take your seating die and screw it into your press until you feel the factory round. Set the locking ring. Then you can mess with the seating stem to get desired load length.

My guess is your seating die is set too low and that's crushing your shoulders.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
PS  Do a proper load work up.  Do not pluck a charge weight out of the air.
Do not load a bunch of ammo to till it is checked for reliable function, safety, and accuracy in your gun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top