Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2021 3:29:22 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I've been browsing the 300blk master thread for a while and couldn't really find the info I'm looking for.

Trying to get some heavy cast/ hi-tek coated bullets for some subsonic load development.  Point of this exercise:  I've got a ton of 5.56 loaded as well as 147gr 300 blk, but limited loaded subs.  Just want something to quietly plink in the backyard with.  Also- I've got a case of small rifle primers and really no other "need" to load more of the other calibers.

The only option I've been able to locate that are coated are the MBC 245gr hitek coated bullets.  Any of you guys seen something else/other recommended options?  Picked up A1680, CFE BLK, IMR 4227 so far, and trying to source some VV N105/110/120 locally to put together a bunch of different loads.

Plan to run them all through a 9" AAC upper w/SDN-6.  Read the thread about some concerns with coated bullets and cans, but also that a lot of people have had plenty of success with that combo at subsonic velocities.  Just need to find some bullet options and I'm only coming up with a single option.  There HAS to be more than manufacturer producing heavy, coated, 30 cal projectiles.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Gallant 217 coated is the best I have found.

It has a slight boattail so it seats real easy without scraping off the coating.
View Quote

Thanks Hoser, I appreciate that.  Checked them out and they look nice- hopefully back in stock sooner than later...like everything else
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out PC Bullets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a mold from Accurate, this one:
Attachment Attached File

I cast and powder coated a bunch of them for my AR pistol. They grouped like a shotgun for me. I don’t know if it’s something with my gun, optic, or the bullets. I haven’t been able to try any factory ammo with the current shortage, and I haven’t tried the bullets in any other guns. Guessing by your username you probably live close to me, I’m in the panhandle. If you want to try some come get em, I’ll give you 100 or so. I have a friend up here that’s going to try them in his bolt action 300bo, but that hasn’t happened yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a mold from Accurate, this one:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451123/F68EE7A3-9638-4CC8-858B-5A0C8FA2781E_png-1784888.JPG

I cast and powder coated a bunch of them for my AR pistol. They grouped like a shotgun for me. I don’t know if it’s something with my gun, optic, or the bullets. I haven’t been able to try any factory ammo with the current shortage, and I haven’t tried the bullets in any other guns. Guessing by your username you probably live close to me, I’m in the panhandle. If you want to try some come get em, I’ll give you 100 or so. I have a friend up here that’s going to try them in his bolt action 300bo, but that hasn’t happened yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451123/image_jpg-1784911.JPG
View Quote

Thanks man!  I appreciate that offer.  I'm out by Catlett/Fredericksburg, VA.  Occasionally make it up your way though.  Will hit you up if I'm in the area and see if you still have any of them laying around.  Subs have been finicky in my experience, but the FMJ loads seem to be the best.  If I get a chance to meet you, I've got some factory subs I'll give you.  Not a ton I can part with, but would give you a good opportunity compare accuracy.  Moving onto those bullets, any issues feeding?  I can't remember where I saw them, but there's one company online that advertises that exact (or really close to it) bullet.  Was afraid the flat nose could cause feeding issues so I stayed away from it.

Everything seems to be back ordered way far out, and Hoser's recommendation isn't even available to purchase on backorder.  Wound up ordering a case from Steel Valley Casting.  They're the ugliest casting/coating job of any photo I've seen on the web but seemed to have decent reviews.  Selling point for me was a reasonable price and (allegedly) in stock.  We'll see if they ship this week.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I was guessing you were in northern VA, aka NOVA. I’d offer to ship you some to you in a non COVID world, currently quarantined.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Acme 265 grains is worth looking into.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Eggleston Munitions is my go-to for 300blk sub plinking. They come in all sorts of purdy colors, too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks man!  I appreciate that offer.  I'm out by Catlett/Fredericksburg, VA.  Occasionally make it up your way though.  Will hit you up if I'm in the area and see if you still have any of them laying around.  Subs have been finicky in my experience, but the FMJ loads seem to be the best.  If I get a chance to meet you, I've got some factory subs I'll give you.  Not a ton I can part with, but would give you a good opportunity compare accuracy.  Moving onto those bullets, any issues feeding?  I can't remember where I saw them, but there's one company online that advertises that exact (or really close to it) bullet.  Was afraid the flat nose could cause feeding issues so I stayed away from it.

Everything seems to be back ordered way far out, and Hoser's recommendation isn't even available to purchase on backorder.  Wound up ordering a case from Steel Valley Casting.  They're the ugliest casting/coating job of any photo I've seen on the web but seemed to have decent reviews.  Selling point for me was a reasonable price and (allegedly) in stock.  We'll see if they ship this week.
View Quote

I did have issues feeding with my PSA upper. The flat tips of the bullets were hanging up on the area between the feed ramps. A little grinding and polishing with the Dremel took care of it. I had a thread about it but I’m sure it’s archived now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you looking to buy projectiles or cast your own? I cast 230 grain projectiles and powder coat them with eastwood powder. I shoot them through my dead air sandman with no problem so far.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive loaded up about 100 of the Gallant 240gr flat points, flat base. Definitely need a bit of a neck bell to get them in the case, but they load, and function fantastically. With 1680 my performance seemed to peak as far as noise/function balance at 10.5 grains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top