Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2023 6:22:48 PM EDT
Can someone measure the od of a good round at the crimp for me?  Also what brass is it?  

I don't have any factory ammo to measure.  My first set if reloads were really bad on es and I am hoping it is an issue between the crimp and coal.

I am using rmr 110g rn and w296 w/cci sr primers.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't reloaded .30 carbine in years, but I remember the two things that I found that were important. first the only crimp that can be used is a tapered case crimp, and also the case length is very important. This is due to the cartriidge chambering off of the case mouth and not the actual chamber. Very similar to the 9mm and 45acp.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
LC 72 USGI ammo 0.332 at the edge of the case mouth and behind the crimp.

The proper crimp on 30 carbine should measure the same as behind it. It head spaces off the case mouth like 45 ACP, 40 S&W and 9mm Luger. Changing amount of crimp is not advised and likely will not change ignition. Increasing crimp will just deform the bullet and reducing crimp may cause feeding issues with the case mouth hanging up.

Curious why you care about es for 30 carbine? Most rifles chambered in it, 30 carbines, are not precision accurate. It also is not a long range type round where you will see vertical spread.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Curious why you care about es for 30 carbine? Most rifles chambered in it, 30 carbines, are not precision accurate. It also is not a long range type round where you will see vertical spread.
View Quote

Well the first patch of 15 I shot had a good side to side spread but stringed vertical.  I would say 1.5 moa side to side but over 6 moa vertical.  Es was over 80.  Just trying to figure out what the hell I did wrong.  

Fyi, on precission stuff my my es is usually single digits.  I knew this would be high but not expecting that high.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Running a ballistic calculator for the Sierra 110 you would only get a 3.6” difference in elevation for a 400 fps change in velocity at 100 yards and less than 1/2” for 80 fps change in velocity.

6 Moa is not bad for a carbine. Winning scores are not that stellar for them. According to Brian Williams, the national matches carbine match winner, “ The great thing about the M1 Carbine is that as long as you have a good ammo supply this rifle can shoot. Honest. I have had countless numbers of people that tell me that there is not an M1 carbine that will shoot. I can tell you from experience that they will, but you are going to have to put in some time with one to learn how to get it to shoot where you want it.”. I got to shoot with him at a match and talked with him about what he shoots for a carbine. Besides a new barrel and carefully fitted new production stock, he told me basically the same as I quoted above. They are finicky how you shoot them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

296 doesn't like to be reduced, if you do, you will get wild SDs. Might be your problem if you're backing down from max very much.

View Quote

I did 14.5, 14.7 and 15g, all seemed to be common loads.  In thr first test 15g did the best and iirc was the mil loading.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top