Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2022 3:54:18 PM EDT
This is a great cartridge.

I am using Redding .32 H&R Magnum dies with zero modifications to start with and so far it's working fine.

I may open them up a bit after some testing if I feel it is working the brass too much.

Anyone else loading for this little gem of a cartridge yet?

Factory HST on the left, 100 gr ACME RNFP, and 100 gr XTP on right.

Title edited.  AeroE
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
0.312"

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m interested in this cartridge. Is there much published data?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested in this cartridge. Is there much published data?
View Quote

I haven't seen any published data.

I am going to try some powders I have used for 9mm Para and 38 Super and see how they do.

I have a pound of Win 244 I am trying first.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat, was just reading about this in American Handgunner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Really neat. I hope this cartridge does well.

I can't wait to see some real tests with it.

The .327 has proven to be really good.

How many rounds fit in a 1911? G48?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really neat. I hope this cartridge does well.

I can't wait to see some real tests with it.

The .327 has proven to be really good.

How many rounds fit in a 1911? G48?
View Quote

Well the S&W Shield I have holds 10 in the magazine.

I'd imagine for a single stack 9mm gun you'll probably get one or two more rounds in there with the 30 SC.

I agree on the .327, I wish it was more common, it's a great round.

A 32 H&R or 327 magnum revolver makes a great companion for 30 Super Carry. The reloading gear and components are almost the exact same other than brass.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag, I think with hand loading this could be a fun cartridge.  Just not sure what platform I want to put it in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
This cartridge is something I was wishing for 15 or so years ago.
A modernised 32acp.
Ehh, terrible timing though.
I bet one could use 32h&r mag loads not sure though.

I have spotted a few pistols in 30sc but as of yet haven't been compelled to purchase one.
Having never even laid eyes on a single box of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Ruger SP101 .327 FedMag that is an absolute hoot. I can shoot .327, .32 H&R, .32 S&W and .32ACP outta 1 gun. What's not to like?

I'm putting my pennies away to get a lever gun in .327 and if a semi-auto ever comes out in it, I'll sell blood if I have to to get one.

I'm watching the .30 Super Carry, but have yet to see one in the wild and NO ammo anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh one thing I forgot to mention, shell holders are not as straightforward as dies since the rim diameter of 30 SC isn't a common size.

I am traveling right now in an RV so I am loading by hand with a Lee hand press so I only need one shell holder but when I am back home I'm going to try to get my Dillon 550 set up for this cartridge and will post how that goes.

I am using a Hornady #3 shell holder for 22 Hornet which I had to modify by cutting a chamfer into the top edges to clear the base of the case. The picture below should show what I'm talking about.

For priming I am using a Lee Auto Prime hand primer with a Lee #20 shell holder and it's a bit tight but it works as-is.

[/url]

[/url]

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a Ruger SP101 .327 FedMag that is an absolute hoot. I can shoot .327, .32 H&R, .32 S&W and .32ACP outta 1 gun. What's not to like?

I'm putting my pennies away to get a lever gun in .327 and if a semi-auto ever comes out in it, I'll sell blood if I have to to get one.

I'm watching the .30 Super Carry, but have yet to see one in the wild and NO ammo anywhere.
View Quote

I've been all over the country in the last few months and 30 SC is everywhere now with the big shops. I bought some in FL just a couple weeks ago.

I want a lever gun in 327 too in a bad way but I did some reading on the Henrys and it seems they have design related feeding issues so I am not as excited as I was before. You might want to look into that.

I think my plan now is to find an older gun in 32-20 and that'll be good enough for me.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Using the barrel as a case gauge?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Using the barrel as a case gauge?
View Quote

Checking sized dimensions with micrometer and calipers compared to factory unfired ammo.

And yes, barrel fit check.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've been all over the country in the last few months and 30 SC is everywhere now with the big shops. I bought some in FL just a couple weeks ago.

I want a lever gun in 327 too in a bad way but I did some reading on the Henrys and it seems they have design related feeding issues so I am not as excited as I was before. You might want to look into that.

I think my plan now is to find an older gun in 32-20 and that'll be good enough for me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can confirm those issues the Henry has.
It's made on the same larger frame and if you don't have the thing fairly level, cartridges can tip out of the added guide track and not feed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Looking for a small pistol with a single stack mag for this caliber as too much hype re: large capacity...
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I am definitely interested in this round.

I already load for the 32 acp, its a hoot. I actually use 32 HR mag dies to load for it. Go figure.

Looking forward to more on this as things progress.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking for a small pistol with a single stack mag for this caliber as too much hype re: large capacity...
View Quote

Smith and Wesson Shield Plus was just released in this caliber.

It's not single stack but it's pretty thin.

The Shield EZ is single stack but it's actually a larger pistol.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I just tested these and they function and are accurate and on the light side recoil wise which is what I wanted so it looks like we have a winner.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very similar to the 7.65 French Long I've been loading. I even use those same 100gr coated LFP bullets.

I really hope the .30 SC creates more of a market for .312" autoloader bullets. I'd like to see a nice 80-100gr RN with a longer nose than the stubby revolver bullets.
View Quote

Yeah me too, .312 bullets are a little thin on the ground compared to .355

1935A?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty invested in 9mm and 45ACP.  I'll wait a couple years and see how it does before jumping in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

@SpacemanSpiff- where in FL did you find the ammo? I haven't seen any in BP or Academy Sports near me and none of the LGS I've been in have it. I'm on the Space Coast, by the way.

As for the rifle, I've already ruled out Henry due to the feed issues and size of the gun. I want one that is more "cartridge proportional" for lack of a better term.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

To me, the .30SC is an interesting concept as I have 3 .32-20s and have used them for several years.  The bullet is definitely capable, 105 gr bullet at 1350 from a revolver and 1600 from a carbine.  It makes an impressive wound in porcupines, coons and coyotes.  If the gun comes out in some realistic format such as 1911 or Browining HP, I am in but for now, a .30 Mauser/Tok does just fine as an auto loading .30.

If you go for a revolver in .32.20  make it a Colt 1873 clone or a Colt Army Special/Official Police as they are far stronger than the S&W Hand Ejector guns you find in that caliber.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@SpacemanSpiff- where in FL did you find the ammo? I haven't seen any in BP or Academy Sports near me and none of the LGS I've been in have it. I'm on the Space Coast, by the way.

As for the rifle, I've already ruled out Henry due to the feed issues and size of the gun. I want one that is more "cartridge proportional" for lack of a better term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FB41

I've been on the Gulf side so a bit of a hike for you, I got it at this shop in Nokomis:

https://totalimpactguns.com/

I've seen it in Academy and Sportsman's Warehouse too, not sure if you have any over there.

I've found 30SC in WY, OR, UT, CO, AR, and UT without looking too hard so it's definitely getting out to vendors.

Gold Dots and Fed HST as well as FMJ are all out there in the wild.

What you CANT find are brass or dies. Nobody is making them yet. That's why I made this thread, it's possible to reload but you have to get a little creative.

Hopefully Starline or someone steps up. Surely if they are already making 30 French Long it would be pretty easy make some 30 SC.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah same, I want a gun that was designed for the cartridge, not some designed by the bean counter committee garbage.

Are there modern options other than the Henry?

I don't know much about lever guns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Bean counter committee garbage! Lmfao!
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Ask, and you shall receive.... eventually

Lee 30 Super Carry Die Set
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Also a .32 fan.  Have a P32 for the pocket and a Colt 1903 for IWB.  I load Hornady 85 XTP @ 1000 fps in the 1903.  

30 Super Carry is a considerable step up, have chronographed the Remington 100 JHP @ 1170 in the Shield EZ and the Federal 110 HST @ 1210 in the same pistol.  You are right, it's a larger gun.  About the size of a 1911 CCO, but lighter.

The Shield Plus in 30 SC holds 13+1 with the flat floorplate magazine, very compact.  Finger rest magazine is 16+1.  This size pistol is appropriate for the cartridge.  Would make a very good small EDC pistol.

Ammo is out there, but not what it should be to promote a new cartridge.  There's nothing at your LGS because the distributors have nothing.  Once again, Vista Outdoors screwing the LGS and shipping everything to the big box retailers.  If you don't live near a big box that sells ammo, Vista says "too bad, so sad".  Ammo is available online in spurts.  But it's not cheap enough to promote something that's "not 9mm".

Emailed Hodgdon to see when they will get their ass off the couch and do some data.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also a .32 fan.  Have a P32 for the pocket and a Colt 1903 for IWB.  I load Hornady 85 XTP @ 1000 fps in the 1903.  

30 Super Carry is a considerable step up, have chronographed the Remington 100 JHP @ 1170 in the Shield EZ and the Federal 110 HST @ 1210 in the same pistol.  You are right, it's a larger gun.  About the size of a 1911 CCO, but lighter.

The Shield Plus in 30 SC holds 13+1 with the flat floorplate magazine, very compact.  Finger rest magazine is 16+1.  This size pistol is appropriate for the cartridge.  Would make a very good small EDC pistol.

Ammo is out there, but not what it should be to promote a new cartridge.  There's nothing at your LGS because the distributors have nothing.  Once again, Vista Outdoors screwing the LGS and shipping everything to the big box retailers.  If you don't live near a big box that sells ammo, Vista says "too bad, so sad".  Ammo is available online in spurts.  But it's not cheap enough to promote something that's "not 9mm".

Emailed Hodgdon to see when they will get their ass off the couch and do some data.
View Quote

Good post, I'll get some Chrono data here soon too.

I've also been bugging various manufacturers to make 30 SC stuff. Most indicated they will get to it eventually.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Think 5/16".

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm pretty invested in 9mm and 45ACP.  I'll wait a couple years and see how it does before jumping in.
View Quote

Not a bad call.  I have always shied from latest and greatest so as to not end up with a 5mm remington or a .22 Jet.   The closest to non standard cartridge I have that is on the wane is 6.8 and I got in to that just a couple years ago solely to make something different to pop a deer with.   It’s not anything in the tactical tool box for me,....I have one 5 round and one ten round mag.

I have a friend who keeps going for the latest to find it faded as fast as it came out, ie the .22 Valkyrie et al.   There are some great cartridges being made but if they don’t fly commercially you better have some brass stashed.

Hmmm an older style CZ skorpion but in .30 Super Carry.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A modernised 32acp.

I have spotted a few pistols in 30sc but as of yet haven't been compelled to purchase one.
View Quote

I believe that has been the downfall of many "new" cartridges: Companies make the Guns, but the Ammunition is expensive, difficult to find, limited bullets, etc.
IMHO the 6.5 Creedmoor launched well because there was plenty of Brass and ammunition available from the start. (it's a great caliber too, but so have been the other failures)
.32 has been around a long time, the .32 H&R was a magnumized version of the old .32 S&W long, and the .327 Federal is a supermag version...I shot a Ruger Blackhawk in .32 H&R and it was great!  I think the H&R revolvers it was originally designed for were unpalatable which lead to their discontinuance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both Old-Timer and Seasoned Gunsmith have admonished that .32 Winchester Special Rifles will either shoot great or not at all....never understood why but they stand firm on the premise, now whether this applies across the board to others such as 32-20 I just don't know.
Cast Bullets in Rounds such as 7.5 Swiss, .303 Brit, 7.62x54R, etc all use .310~.313 Bullets and they'll either shoot well or not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I believe that has been the downfall of many "new" cartridges: Companies make the Guns, but the Ammunition is expensive, difficult to find, limited bullets, etc.
IMHO the 6.5 Creedmoor launched well because there was plenty of Brass and ammunition available from the start. (it's a great caliber too, but so have been the other failures)
.32 has been around a long time, the .32 H&R was a magnumized version of the old .32 S&W long, and the .327 Federal is a supermag version...I shot a Ruger Blackhawk in .32 H&R and it was great!  I think the H&R revolvers it was originally designed for were unpalatable which lead to their discontinuance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A modernised 32acp.

I think you are right on what doomed the .32 H&R Magnum.......H&R themselves.  A weaker gun held back the cartridge potential.  The name of H&R in the 80’s was in low regard.  They were known for $65 single shot rifles and shotguns.  (I love my H&R garands, they were well done).  

The other guns made for the cartridge were generally much more robust but the ammo had to be held down for the break tops.

Add in by the late eighties everyone was buying autos and shying away from revolvers.  

Add in the .357 and .44 magnums were really magnums that people wanted.

Sell me a S&W k frame stainless with adjustable sights in .32 mag with a 4” barrel.  I’d be lucky if I saw a .327 in that configuration.

I recently broke down and purchased a 31-1 in .32 s&w long.   A compromise but about what I was looking for in a center fire pop gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think you are right on what doomed the .32 H&R Magnum.......H&R themselves.  A weaker gun held back the cartridge potential.  The name of H&R in the 80’s was in low regard.  They were known for $65 single shot rifles and shotguns.  (I love my H&R garands, they were well done).  

The other guns made for the cartridge were generally much more robust but the ammo had to be held down for the break tops.

Add in by the late eighties everyone was buying autos and shying away from revolvers.  

Add in the .357 and .44 magnums were really magnums that people wanted.

Sell me a S&W k frame stainless with adjustable sights in .32 mag with a 4” barrel.  I’d be lucky if I saw a .327 in that configuration.

I recently broke down and purchased a 31-1 in .32 s&w long.   A compromise but about what I was looking for in a center fire pop gun.
View Quote

I think a K-Frame would have enough cylinder to support a longer cartridge, certainly strong enough.
S&W Revolvers are going for crazy money!
Ruger did a run of SP101's in .327 and IIRC Adirondack47 had one and loved it, but ammo was an issue.
Time will tell with the .30 Super, certainly having the NRA launch the cartridge via articles in their Magazines helps immensely, now if production shortages don't kill it prematurely...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm listening.....

I know this thing was designed specifically for concealed carry, but I'd love to see a SLIM 5-inch barrel full size auto for this.  30 round magazine.  Would have really appreciated such a pistol for many years of backcountry skitreks. I have many uses for such a pistol in the field. As it is I have my SIG 320FS w/ 21-rd mag but that .30 would be neat in a pistol with a long bbl and max mag capacity.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bean counter committee garbage! Lmfao!
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not a bad call.  I have always shied from latest and greatest so as to not end up with a 5mm remington or a .22 Jet.   The closest to non standard cartridge I have that is on the wane is 6.8 and I got in to that just a couple years ago solely to make something different to pop a deer with.   It’s not anything in the tactical tool box for me,....I have one 5 round and one ten round mag.
View Quote

Agreed.  I might add 45 GAP to that list.

Why even bother with odd pistol cartridges if you already have 9X19 and 45 ACP?  I get it, it's a hobby but is there more to it than that?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why even bother with odd pistol cartridges if you already have 9X19 and 45 ACP?  I get it, it's a hobby but is there more to it than that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

But it's interesting as a hobby.

And in my case a lighter fullsize pistol w/ a higher capacity would be great.

Having said that, you aren't really wrong.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone tried a 30 SC in a 327 LCR yet?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Any leads on load data?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like a skinny 10mm
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#46]
https://leeprecision.com/3-die-set-30-super-carry.html

Looks like lee is making dies, getting pretty interested in the cartridge just hoping Glock comes out with a 48 sized gun in it before I cave and buy a Smith and Wesson.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone else reloading this?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The .30 SC is tapered, and while the case diameter at the mouth is about the same as the .32 caliber revolver cartridges, the base is considerably larger and will not fit. The .32 ACP will, and it's even semi-rimmed. The 7.65 French should fit as well, but it is rimless and would need a very thin "moon clip" to work.
View Quote

I was curious about that myself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The .30 SC is tapered, and while the case diameter at the mouth is about the same as the .32 caliber revolver cartridges, the base is considerably larger and will not fit. The .32 ACP will, and it's even semi-rimmed. The 7.65 French should fit as well, but it is rimless and would need a very thin "moon clip" to work.
View Quote

Or maybe an O-ring?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top