Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 11:09:08 PM EDT
My normal 7 1/2’s I use in my M1 Carbines don’t seem to work in the Ruger. Light primer strikes. I have played with seating depth to no avail.

Only have a couple hundred CCI 400’s left (which seem to work fine).

Thoughts on maybe trying Small Pistol or Small Pistol Magnum primers?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to local Academy Sports... no 30 carbine ammo. Doubt they even sell and gun counter guy didn’t seem to know what it was. Shelves were pretty bare and any black rifle was sold.

They actually had primers but only large (variety of them).

I have a poop load of primers but just not a lighter small rifle. Maybe try the gun store tomorrow..

For now, I will load what I can and try to get a friend to trade me some. He uses 400’s in everything.

Thanks for all the info and experience with this pistol. I agree it seems overly finicky. My friends 45 colt is fine.

One other thing I may try is seat deeper after trimming out the cups a little. Maybe not deep enough...

Will try some SP’s and SPM’s today with empty cases and see if they work.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I did a full spring kit from wolf springs in mine extra power hammer spring lights off even milsurp.

I haven't reloaded for it yet but I'd be using cci400 for sure
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Update...
I ran the CCI SR primers last night. Function was good in both. Extremely flat primers though. I am running 15 gr of IMR 4227 with 100gr Short Jacket bullet.

I will reduce the load and run a new window. Hodgdon lists this primer with a max of 16 gr for this load so I never expected 15 to be a problem.

Wondering if the Winchester brass H used in their tests has more case capacity than my mixed brass (PRVI and Armscor) as 15 gr is very compressed in my brass.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I would try federal primers. Federal is known to have thinner cups and/or a more sensitive ignition compound.

I had light primer strikes in my bodyguard 380 and switched to federal and have never had that problem again.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/a-primer-on-primers.6936610/

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top