Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2022 1:54:22 AM EDT
One of my favorite loads for 30-30 is the Federal 125gr JHP, pc 3030C.  Even though Federal calls it a a JHP, it is more of a semi-jacketed hollow point as the tip of the bullet is exposed lead.  Anyways, for me this load in North Texas was always difficult to find.  Not sure why, other than when people think "thuddy-thuddy" they think 150gr or 170gr.  It's unobtanium nowadays.  I have a meager stash of 30-30 in multiple weights, but like I said I am partial to that 125gr bean.  In earnest I have begun trying to duplicate the load.  I picked up some RCBS carbide 30-30 dies and a partial box of Sierra 125gr Flat Nose (pc 2020), which is actually an exposed lead hollow point.  It isn't the same bullet as Federal's 3030C load, but kinda close.  Does anyone know if Federal uses another manufacturer's bullet for this load, and if so, who makes it?  Does anyone know of some other 125gr JHPs for 30-30?  I'd love to hear any data any of you more experienced handloaders may have on 125gr JHPs in 30-30.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of my favorite loads for 30-30 is the Federal 125gr JHP, pc 3030C.  Even though Federal calls it a a JHP, it is more of a semi-jacketed hollow point as the tip of the bullet is exposed lead.  Anyways, for me this load in North Texas was always difficult to find.  Not sure why, other than when people think "thuddy-thuddy" they think 150gr or 170gr.  It's unobtanium nowadays.  I have a meager stash of 30-30 in multiple weights, but like I said I am partial to that 125gr bean.  In earnest I have begun trying to duplicate the load.  I picked up some RCBS carbide 30-30 dies and a partial box of Sierra 125gr Flat Nose (pc 2020), which is actually an exposed lead hollow point.  It isn't the same bullet as Federal's 3030C load, but kinda close.  Does anyone know if Federal uses another manufacturer's bullet for this load, and if so, who makes it?  Does anyone know of some other 125gr JHPs for 30-30?  I'd love to hear any data any of you more experienced handloaders may have on 125gr JHPs in 30-30.
View Quote

Federal generally makes their own bullets in-house, except for their Gold Metal Match ammo and they even make the 168 grain Open Tip Match bullets for their M1A match ammo.

The Sierra 125 grain 30-30 bullet fragments a lot and easily.

If you are looking for a varmint bullet, it should work.

For powder, maybe H322 as a first choice.

Alliant shows RL7, RL10X and AR Comp as possible choices, from their powders.

Make sure the load data is recent, as older 30-30 cases are thinner and have greater capacity, taking more powder.

Remington 30-30 cases are weak, Federal and Winchester cases are good.

Even the newer cases are still relatively thin, compared to modern cartridges and a standard roll crimp die can easily damage them.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die is the greatest thing for 30-30 loading, as it doesn't crush the thin cases.

If using a ball powder in 30-30, make sure to use a CCI magnum primer, to avoid hangfires, which seem to happen with 30-30 quite a bit with ball powders and standard force primers.

I haven't heard of carbide dies for 30-30.

Maybe a carbide expander?

I'm sure you'll need case lube for any 30-30 dies.

For a consistent crimp, trim cases and chamfer inside (possible outside too) case mouths slightly after sizing.

Lee has cheap hand tools for that.

Here is the load data from Sierra for their 125 grain 30-30 bullet with H322 powder.

26.2 grains = 2100 fps
27.8 grains = 2200 fps
29.2 grains = 2300 fps
30.9 grains = 2400 fps
32.5 grains = 2500 fps

Sierra recommends 32.5 grain of H322 as their recommended, "hunting load."

Note, some load data published may be older and with thinner, larger capacity cases.

Sierra describes their 125 grain jacketed flat point as a hollow point.

That's likely as close as you'll get to the Federal bullet.

Some people use it for deer, but it seems fragile to me.

RL7 is very popular with this bullet.

IMR-3031 and H4895 are possible powders too.

IMR-4895 is super accurate with 150 and 170 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What is your intended use?

Similar, but not exactly the same, I loaded up a bunch of Speer 110 gr. JHP in .30-30 for my uncle to use on feral dogs and coyotes. He reported it being fantastic in that role.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Federal generally makes their own bullets in-house, except for their Gold Metal Match ammo and they even make the 168 grain Open Tip Match bullets for their M1A match ammo.
View Quote

NOT TRUE AT ALL

They use
All their GM ammo is Sierra or Berger
Sierra (makes a bullet for Federal that is not released to the public)
Nosler
Swift
Berger
Barnes
Speer
Hornady

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

NOT TRUE AT ALL

They use
All their GM ammo is Sierra or Berger
Sierra (makes a bullet for Federal that is not released to the public)
Nosler
Swift
Berger
Barnes
Speer
Hornady

View Quote

They make many of their own bullets though.

The OTM bullet M1A load uses a bullet made by Federal, not Nosler, despite the similar name.

When Federal's parent company bought Speer, Speer quit selling their old  .224" FMJ (55, 62gr), .308" FMJ (150gr) and 7.62x39 FMJ (123gr) bullets, because Speer was sourcing them from Hornady.

Also when Federal's parent company changed, they briefly changed the 308 GMM powder frrom IMR-4064 to Alliant RL-15.

That didn't go so well, but they like to use their own products.

I remember when Federal loaded Nosler bullets in their premium 270 Winchester ammo and Sierra Match Kings in their Gold Metal Match ammo, they advertise they are using premium bullets from another company.

Plain Jane 30-30 bullets are generally going to be made by Federal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is your intended use?

Similar, but not exactly the same, I loaded up a bunch of Speer 110 gr. JHP in .30-30 for my uncle to use on feral dogs and coyotes. He reported it being fantastic in that role.
View Quote

This is my general purpose load.  If I have to work in unfriendly states, I like to take my customized 16" 336 with me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is my general purpose load.  If I have to work in unfriendly states, I like to take my customized 16" 336 with me.
View Quote

I was wondering why you’d want a 125gr 30-30 for what in my head is fairly open terrain, in your home area. North Texas in my mind is Amarillo, lots of flat and open. Seems more like a place for a 30-06 than a -30. Is your actual area different from my image?

The Sierra 125s shot well for me in 308 and 30-06 making reduced loads. Granted the groups were tiny, but it was at like 30yds. I wasn’t sure if they’d keyhole or do anything weird. The 30-06 was less accurate, having a much longer jump, as well as the tiny COAL and flat nose caused it to jam when feeding from the internal mag. Not that any of it should be a problem using them in the correct cartridge and action type.

I really don’t think any soft target at a reasonable distance will be able to discern the difference between any appropriate bullet for a 30-30, so use what you can get. Does your rifle(s) not like whatever factory loads you can get locally?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Since there were so many problems with availability of even standard weight 30-30 ammo for so long, it may be awhile before Federal considers offering it again. I'm guessing that you don't cast bullets, so you may simply end up stalking them on the internet and buying everything you find for awhile. A 125 gr jacketed flat point 30/30 bullet is not a common item. Lehigh Defense offers a 140 gr Controlled Chaos bullet, but they're a buck a piece right now, and are a bit pointy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was wondering why you’d want a 125gr 30-30 for what in my head is fairly open terrain, in your home area. North Texas in my mind is Amarillo, lots of flat and open. Seems more like a place for a 30-06 than a -30. Is your actual area different from my image?

The Sierra 125s shot well for me in 308 and 30-06 making reduced loads. Granted the groups were tiny, but it was at like 30yds. I wasn’t sure if they’d keyhole or do anything weird. The 30-06 was less accurate, having a much longer jump, as well as the tiny COAL and flat nose caused it to jam when feeding from the internal mag. Not that any of it should be a problem using them in the correct cartridge and action type.

I really don’t think any soft target at a reasonable distance will be able to discern the difference between any appropriate bullet for a 30-30, so use what you can get. Does your rifle(s) not like whatever factory loads you can get locally?
View Quote

I guess technically the region I am in North Central Texas as I'm in, albeit on the southern end, the DFW Metroplex.  There are areas very much like Amarillo, but there are areas with extremely thick multi-canopy woods.  That said, my business hasnt taken me to un-gun-friendly areas yet, there have been quite a few opportunities.  My 336s with their chopped barrels and magazine tubes and the youth length stocks provide a potent thump in a relatively compact size.  Plus, while I dont subscribe to the "look" of evil weaponry, even in liberal Dallas County, Dallas is a damned sight different than other municipalities on either coast.

I have some assorted 30-30 loads, a couple of boxes of Federal bonded 150 and 170gr JSPs (Deer Thug and Fusion, same bullet).  I may have a box or two of 160gr Hornady Leverlution.  In all fairness, my love of the 125gr Federal load is probably unwarranted.  I know Dr Roberts actually did a full IWBA run up on this load almost 20 years ago, I believe a department requested it.  I am a recovering terminal ballistics junky, and considering that is the only 30-30Win offering with a lab recorded full test done, that is probably one foundation of my zeal for the load in question.  Another is that with these 150 and 170gr JSPs (and probably with the 160gr LVR), the overpenetration risk is quite high.  Then there is comfort.  When I shoot 30-30, it has been the 125gr Federal offering.  It's what I know, and am comfortable with.  My comfort shouldn't be construed as being recoil sensitive or adverse, but merely familiarity.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top