Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2023 11:53:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99]
I have a beefy vise I use outside the home.  I do this because I do not want to be torching, grinding, cutting, hammering, filing etc indoors.  I don't want all that crap in the home.

I want to get a second vise for indoor use.  Torquing muzzle devices, barrel nuts, general cleaning, drifting out sights, roll pin work or for a third hand.

I have been looking at the Real Avid for a while but I haven't been able to convince myself.  The first thing that bothers me is it's made in China but so is my beefy vise.  I also question how robust it is but all reviews indicate it's adequate. Most are not US made unless you want to drop 1k on a US Wilton or on that crazy awesome Orange vise.  Both way beyond the budget I have and way over kill for what I do.  

All the reviews on the Avid are glowing.  I just wonder how credible they are.  I question it's toughness and longevity.  I thought about getting another vise like the one I have but a lighter, small footprint might be better for indoor use.  I welcome any suggestions.

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ridgid F-series is forged steel and not chinese. The F-45 is under $500 and an absolute tank.

The Yost ADI-5 is ductile iron and not chinese. It can be had for under $200 and is far stronger than chinesium mystery metal.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
The Ridgid F-series is forged steel and not chinese. The F-45 is under $500 and an absolute tank.

The Yost ADI-5 is ductile iron and not chinese. It can be had for under $200 and is far stronger than chinesium mystery metal.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think the Rigid is made in Germany which is good.  The Yost is still Chinese.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same spot a few years ago. I've got a nice heavy duty Wilton beast of a vice in the garage but wanted something for the gun room and ended up going with this one...Capri tools 4" forged steel bench vice

Yes it chienesium but it's a good vice and more then enough for AR gunsmithing
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slingblade2006] [#4]
I got a 6 inch Orange Pony from Lowe’s a few years ago.  For $130 bucks it’s a good gun vise.  I have not really beat on it like an outdoor garage vise.  But it has held numerous pistol slides for new sights and several AR’s for barrels and such.  No issues.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Milspec99:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sorry about that - last I knew neither the Yost ductile iron nor their cast steel vises were chinese. It probably changed in the last few years.

About the F series from Ridgid: I have beat the piss out of multiple examples of various jaw widths for years. Daily. I haven't managed to break one or even loosen up the bite.

My one and only complaint is that on one example I kept having the handle bumpers pop off. No clue why it was isolated to that one vise but I fixed it by just putting some snap rings on to prevent the bumpers from popping off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By airgunner:
I was in the same spot a few years ago. I've got a nice heavy duty Wilton beast of a vice in the garage but wanted something for the gun room and ended up going with this one...Capri tools 4" forged steel bench vice

View Quote

This is exactly my situation.  Thanks I will check it out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Sorry about that - last I knew neither the Yost ductile iron nor their cast steel vises were chinese. It probably changed in the last few years.

About the F series from Ridgid: I have beat the piss out of multiple examples of various jaw widths for years. Daily. I haven't managed to break one or even loosen up the bite.

My one and only complaint is that on one example I kept having the handle bumpers pop off. No clue why it was isolated to that one vise but I fixed it by just putting some snap rings on to prevent the bumpers from popping off.
View Quote

Good info.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#8]

View Quote

Your Yost link says made in China.  Oops, I see you saw that later.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
this is the one i use in my gun room , use it
to change out several barrels as well as a jig i
made for the uppers to set in the vice , very easy
to clean the uppers with the bore guide and rod .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-5-in-Cast-Iron-Multi-purpose-Vise/1003167708
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TargetShooter2:
this is the one i use in my gun room , use it
to change out several barrels as well as a jig i
made for the uppers to set in the vice , very easy
to clean the uppers with the bore guide and rod .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-5-in-Cast-Iron-Multi-purpose-Vise/1003167708
View Quote
I have the bessy version of that same vice. It works.

Op honestly for the work you're looking to do a Chinese vice, even a harbor freight one, would work just fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:41:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crowcreek] [#11]
I have large Rigid, Wilton, Columbia, Crapsman, and the big Doyle from HF.  

The big HF vise is a beast, has removable/replacable jaws, and is mounted on my lathe cabinet.  I use it for smashing rivits, with a cheater bar on the handle.
It's supposed to be ductile iron, 60k?  I like it.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Crowcreek:
I have large Rigid, Wilton, Columbia, Crapsman, and the big Doyle from HF.  

The big HF vise is a beast, has removable/replacable jaws, and is mounted on my lathe cabinet.  I use it for smashing rivits, with a cheater bar on the handle.
It's supposed to be ductile iron, 60k?  I like it.  

View Quote

Saw that big HF vice.  It does look pretty sweet.  Wish they had a 5" though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#13]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

Op honestly for the work you're looking to do a Chinese vice, even a harbor freight one, would work just fine.
View Quote

I agree.  The most torque it is going to see is a barrel nut, castle nut or MD.  Maybe beating sights off a slide.  The out door vice is the hard use one if I really need to pound on something or break out the heat.

No one here has hands on with the Real Avid?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Side note.  Anyone know where to pick up a piece of the old school Trex decking?  All the new stuff has ridges on the underside.  The old school stuff makes for good soft jaws, line with a strip of leather.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The big HF vise is 6.5", so the smaller might be close to five;  Mine's mounted without the swivel base.  

The best choice might be the new HF 'hitch vise', mounted on a bench.  It looks good to me.

Your idea regarding 'indoor vs. outdoor' vise has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I looked at the HF 5 and 6 Central Machinery vise's before getting the Pony.  The only issue is they did not have a deep enough throat depth for the Magpul BEV block to work.  The Doyle looks deep enough (I don't think they had the Doyle when I was shopping, otherwise I would have got it.  It looks nice for the money).  Just something to think about if you are going to use it with AR stuff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
I looked at the HF 5 and 6 Central Machinery vise's before getting the Pony.  The only issue is they did not have a deep enough throat depth for the Magpul BEV block to work.  The Doyle looks deep enough (I don't think they had the Doyle when I was shopping, otherwise I would have got it.  It looks nice for the money).  Just something to think about if you are going to use it with AR stuff.
View Quote

Thanks.  Very good to know, I do have the Bev block.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

No problem.  As far as soft jaws I got a chuck of Aluminum bar stock from Lowes or HD and cut it down to fit over my vise jaws.  I keep them in place with painters tape.  Works great for holding slides for sights.  I learned it from Dawsons Precision.  For AR muzzles I use a cheap set of rubber vise covers from Amazon.  Works great for holding the barrel.  I have been upgrade my bench vise from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 to 6 inch over the years.  I think 6 is about prefect.  It along with the BEV block has removed some seriously stubborn barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Totally agree with the above regarding size;  Mass and rigidity are needed for smaller work as well, and the larger vises have it.

I also have smaller, portable vises that I'll use for stoning trigger parts and such, but only for 'work holding' -- No good for much else.

Also a fan of Alu soft jaw covers -- Al is a very 'grippy' metal, and holds up well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti] [#20]

I agree.  The most torque it is going to see is a barrel nut, castle nut or MD.  Maybe beating sights off a slide.  The out door vice is the hard use one if I really need to pound on something or break out the heat.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

NOTE: I'm only a home DYIer - I have the Real Avid vise on my gunsmithing bench (see below). Its a great vise, very configurable, and can be used for a lot of different things (scope mounting, gun cleaning, non-gun related things, etc). However, if I had to do something that required a lot of force, I would use my larger, stronger Wilton vise (see below). Note the size and robust difference between the vises. Just FYI, I do use the Real Avid vise more than the Wilton for everyday things.

Real Avid Vise

Attachment Attached File

Wilton Vise

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#21]

No problem.  As far as soft jaws I got a chuck of Aluminum bar stock from Lowes or HD and cut it down to fit over my vise jaws.  I keep them in place with painters tape.  Works great for holding slides for sights.  I learned it from Dawsons Precision.  For AR muzzles I use a cheap set of rubber vise covers from Amazon.  Works great for holding the barrel.  I have been upgrade my bench vise from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 to 6 inch over the years.  I think 6 is about prefect.  It along with the BEV block has removed some seriously stubborn barrel nuts.
View Quote

I have watched those Dawson videos a bunch of times.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Sketti:

NOTE: I'm only a home DYIer - I have the Real Avid vise on my gunsmithing bench (see below). Its a great vise, very configurable, and can be used for a lot of different things (scope mounting, gun cleaning, non-gun related things, etc). However, if I had to do something that required a lot of force, I would use my larger, stronger Wilton vise (see below). Note the size and robust difference between the vises. Just FYI, I do use the Real Avid vise more then the Wilton for everyday things.

Real Avid Vice

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/288245/20230517_170641_jpg-2845621.JPG

Wilton Vise

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/288245/20230522_211130_jpg-2845625.JPG
View Quote

Nice set up.  Awesome pics!  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#23]
For general firearms work, most any 4-5in low cost vise will work.  What you will get with a cheap vise is not buttery smooth action, the vise may move a little under load, you may have to retighten the lever/ screw after a little force is applied, the jaws may not perfectly align and you won’t be able to use it as an anvil in most cases.

I have a few vises set up.  One is massive for big torque items (don’t use it for firearms) and you can use it as an anvil, the second is a general purpose 5in vise and the one I use for firearms work is a very old Craftsman 3.5in.  It is a fantastic little vise that has wide opening jaws.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
For general firearms work, most any 4-5in low cost vise will work.  What you will get with a cheap vise is not buttery smooth action, the vise may move a little under load, you may have to retighten the lever/ screw after a little force is applied, the jaws may not perfectly align and you won’t be able to use it as an anvil in most cases.

I have a few vises set up.  One is massive for big torque items (don’t use it for firearms) and you can use it as an anvil, the second is a general purpose 5in vise and the one I use for firearms work is a very old Craftsman 3.5in.  It is a fantastic little vise that has wide opening jaws.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_4169-2849810.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_4405-2849811.jpg
View Quote

Nice set up!  That looks like the same system that Ultimate re loader guy uses.  Did you make that yourself, use a router etc?  Where did you purchase the tracks and other materials?
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QtrHorse] [#25]

Nice set up!  That looks like the same system that Ultimate re loader guy uses.  Did you make that yourself, use a router etc?  Where did you purchase the tracks and other materials?
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_4169-2849810.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_4405-2849811.jpg

I bought two pcs of this Heavy Duty T-track from Amazon.  The plate is 1in thick Acetal/ Delrin.  I work in the plastics industry and have easy access to most plastics.  HDPE would be cheaper and work just as well.  I routed a channel into my workbench top and then screwed the heavy duty T-track inside the routed channel.  Went down to Lowe’s and bought the correct length bolts and pass thru twist knobs.

More pics of the setup.  I use a couple different small Panavise vises/ heads to work on Gasblock/ gas tube installs, trigger pack work and handgun frames.  Most of the Panavise vises have non marring jaws.

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]

I bought two pcs of this Heavy Duty T-track from Amazon.  The plate is 1in thick Acetal/ Delrin.  I work in the plastics industry and have easy access to most plastics.  HDPE would be cheaper and work just as well.  I routed a channel into my workbench top and then screwed the heavy duty T-track inside the routed channel.  Went down to Lowe’s and bought the correct length bolts and pass thru twist knobs.

More pics of the setup.  I use a couple different small Panavise vises/ heads to work on Gasblock/ gas tube installs, trigger pack work and handgun frames.  Most of the Panavise vises have non marring jaws.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_4170-2864692.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_4444-2864700.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_3776-2864701.jpg

View Quote

Thanks for sharing all the detail.  That's awesome!
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#27]
There are just waaaayy too many perfectly good Wiltons, Starrett-Athols, Reeds, and Columbians to be had at garage sales, FB marketplace, Craigslist, and eBay to consider modern Chinesium. I just got another like new, modern production Wilton 1745 for $280 shipped on eBay a month ago. Most old Reeds and Columbians go for much less.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#28]
You should be able to find an old 3” Wilton Bullet from the 70’s in great condition for under $200. And thats blasted and painted. Unrestored they can be had all day long in the area of $125.

You can do a lot of stuff with a 3” Wilton bullet vise.

In my garage I have a 5” and a 3”. I bought the 5” about 6 years ago on craigslist for $350. All original with only minor surface rust.

The 3” I paid $100 on ebay and it was cleaned and painted with a new set of jaws. Two years ago.

I have yet to find any project I wanted a larger or smaller vise than the 3” & 5” pair.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

View Quote
It's not chinesium, it's Taiwanese.  I have the 7" version of it.  I *think* it's made in the same factory as the Yost vises.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top