Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2018 10:10:50 AM EDT
I need to prep 2.5k once fired .223 casings but the trimming has me procrastinating on getting started.
If only someone made a sizing die with a built in motorized trimmer lol.
Now back to reality. I want an efficient accurate case length trimmer that won’t break the bank.
What’s a good solid choice?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Progressive mounted Dillon really saves time...
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#3]
This! ^

Have one in 223 and 308 and it really saves time in trimming.  Just keep the shoulder area clean in the tool and lengths are very uniform.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
here ya go
View Quote
Yup. Their modular trimmer will break the bank, but it's SO worth it.

The Tri Way is the perfect one if you don't need to trim for a bunch of cartridges.

Giraud offers the best "off press" trimming option hands down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I made a "poor man's Giraud Trimmer" using the Giraud Tri-way head with a simple motor drive. Added a foot switch, and it is a dream to operate.

Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I need to prep 2.5k once fired .223 casings but the trimming has me procrastinating on getting started.
Now back to reality. I want an efficient accurate case length trimmer that won’t break the bank.
View Quote
Dillon does and it's the bee's knees
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Giraud all the way. Trim, Chamfer and Debur i one pass.  Once into a rhythm you can trim a lot of brass while watching TV.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm nearly in the same boat. I've got 2200 resized and ready to trim. I bought the trim it 2 very similar in that it mounts on a drill or drill press or lathe in my case. I chose it because it has replaceable inserts to trim other calibers for $20
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That any faster than this?

Frankford Arsenel Platinum Case Prep Station
View Quote
the giraud is 10 times better that that thing trust me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I did that many once with a possum hollow trimmer (dunno if those are still around) and a drill press.

A little variation (0.005'ish) is OK.  Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks. I’ve seen the  Giraud trimmers but always steered away thinking they were just another gimmicky item.
Once again ARFCOM has changed my mind. I’m going to get one and set it up on a mounted electric drill.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a simple RCBS powered lathe trimmer with a 3 way cutter, most likely not as fast as some of these, but very precise, reasonable price, very simple to operate and reliable...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't say if you are using military/Lake City once fired brass???

if it has crimped in primers or not???
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I would guess they won't need trimming the first go around. Check them after resizing a few. I rarely trim.

This is a knockoff of the possum  hollow.  It indexes off the shoulder and uses an end mill to mill the brass down. Gets the job done. Wear gloves to hold onto the brass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223-5-56-Case-trimmer-HMR-WCT-Worlds-Cheapest-Trimmer/122992786444?hash=item1ca2f0fc0c:g:QOwAAOSwQYZW1KHg:sc:USPSFirstClass!30004!US!-1
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s crimped once fired federal brass

This
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use a simple RCBS powered lathe trimmer with a 3 way cutter, most likely not as fast as some of these, but very precise, reasonable price, very simple to operate and reliable...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1947-592750.JPG
View Quote
Same here.  Although I just drive mine with a cheap harbor freight drill vs. the actual motor that you can buy for it.   Works great!
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#18]
This Memorial day weekend we ran a test against three different case prep centers. The first one was the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case and Trim Center. The second one was the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center. The last one was the Hornady Case Prep Center.

Now, running 2,500 cases the Frankford is the fastest it will take you about 7 hours. But both other case prep centers are twice as accurate in trim length, and it only has 3 case prep attachments where the other two have 6 attachments. Now to run 2,500 cases on the RCBS and the Hornady will take about 10 1/2 hours. The advantage with the Hornady is it has the smallest footprint of all three and is much cleaner as far as brass fillings getting every where. Now the disadvantage for the RCBS and Hornady is the cost They are twice the price, with the Hornady the most expensive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This
https://i.imgur.com/tzRRQuf.png
View Quote
Welllll....then...if I was you, I would spring for a casefeeder equipped Dillon 650, Dillon's trimmer (I think it is the RT1500 now), and the Swage-It tool to both yrim your cases and remove the primer crimp.

And yes, I am aware that the Swage It tool voids the Dillon warranty.

Or you could buy a Dillon 1050.

It comes with a casefeeder, and has a rod/mechanism built in for taking care of the crimps.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This
View Quote
Resize a few and measure.  I usually find that particular brass to barely make it to 1.750" if not being short.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Fyi. FC brass is notorious for loose primer pockets after only a few reloads.
Myself, I wouldn't bother going thru 2.5k of them just to use a couple times.
That said, I went thru 5k of LC/WCC once fired this past winter using the tri-way and it really made the job easier vs my WFT which I had used for yrs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That said, I went thru 5k of LC/WCC once fired this past winter using the tri-way and it really made the job easier vs my WFT which I had used for yrs.
View Quote
Yeah, I was made aware of that after I acquired it. Still not that big a deal though. As I already have all the other components on hand to reload them. I’ll just load’m and stack’m on the fort walls. I’ll add these to my “when it’s time to use them, it’s time to lose them” wall.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, I've tossed a bunch of FC brass.  Sucks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to say, I had a similar result with FC 2013 that was XM193 for a starting point. Some of these primer pockets were out of spec before being shot at all... with only the crimp holding in the primer.

If the brass was like that, I would be really miffed to put lots of work into them and yield nothing. I have started with new LC and Lapua ever since.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve got to at least give it a shot. I traded it on the EE for all my 44mag reloading components. Now yall got me thinking I basically gave away all my stuff for scrap brass. Chalking it up to lesson learned the hard way
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't give up too easy...

You are on the right track when you are discussing ways to make the hand work less painful and more efficient.

All we are doing, is pointing out that you must inspect those primer pockets the first time. If they are bad, you don't put work into them, just move to the next.

The yield will tell you if the deal was good or bad in the end, but you have to go forward now to find out. Don't give up the ship!
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This Memorial day weekend we ran a test against three different case prep centers. The first one was the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case and Trim Center. The second one was the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center. The last one was the Hornady Case Prep Center.

Now, running 2,500 cases the Frankford is the fastest it will take you about 7 hours. But both other case prep centers are twice as accurate in trim length, and it only has 3 case prep attachments where the other two have 6 attachments. Now to run 2,500 cases on the RCBS and the Hornady will take about 10 1/2 hours. The advantage with the Hornady is it has the smallest footprint of all three and is much cleaner as far as brass fillings getting every where. Now the disadvantage for the RCBS and Hornady is the cost They are twice the price, with the Hornady the most expensive.
View Quote
Good info. Just got the Frankford for Christmas, have yet to use it, but it's definitely a step above what I've been using all these years.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Easy

DILLON XL650
DILLON RT1200 electric trimmer.
"Swage-it" primer swager

LEE decapper
swage-it
then the size die/RT1200
kiss the case mouth with a redding neck sizer

Each pull creates a resized decapped swaged trimmed case

...and notice that my hands are not getting tired and dirty from handling 2500 cases

DILLON XL650 RT1200 SWAGE IT
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’ve got to at least give it a shot. I traded it on the EE for all my 44mag reloading components. Now yall got me thinking I basically gave away all my stuff for scrap brass. Chalking it up to lesson learned the hard way
View Quote
OP, get one of these and use its for checking primer pockets...you will have to unswedge them first of course but this little tool make checking the pockets simple...

The end with the small groove is the go end and checks the depth as well, the end with the big groove is the "no" go gauge and if it fits into the pocket the primer won't hold...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I sent mine to Detroit Ammunition Company for trimming,  when I was going out of town for work.  Didn't have time to prep any.  Not cheap but not real expensive and at the time my time was worth more.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's crimped once fired federal brass

This
View Quote
Federal brass is usually to short to worry about trimming.

use a Lee Factory Crimp die for crimping.

and only expect 2 reloads befor the primer pockets get too loose.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you can get Federal for a good price. Develop a load and use it for SHTF premium ammo.

Save your LC, Laupa etc. brass for reuse.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
The brass the OP has pictured is made on SCAMP machinery, exactly the same equipment that makes LC brass.  Literally, with only the headstamp die changed.  This isn't the "bad old" FC brass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The brass the OP has pictured is made on SCAMP machinery, exactly the same equipment that makes LC brass.  Literally, with only the headstamp die changed.  This isn't the "bad old" FC brass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then why is OAL almost always less than 1.75 after sizing and LC is usually longer than 1.76?

'16 head stamp
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Then why is OAL almost always less than 1.75 after sizing and LC is usually longer than 1.76?

'16 head stamp
View Quote
Loading.  The actual GI 5.56mm round is hotter than FC’s “.223” loading, so the brass gets stretched more by the GI round than the commercial round.  Really mild loads won’t stretch brass, and may not even properly seal the chamber...
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#37]
No one has mentioned  Fosters timer, inside and outside debarred

It is real east for their crank hand trimmer

I added an arbor and use my mill to trim with, I fabed a fixture for their collet holder

Foster also makes a drill press adapter
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I use the Giraud tri way chucked in a electric drill. I rig my vice up to hold the drill in place. I'll wrap some Gorilla tape around the drills trigger so its constantly on and use a "hand over hand" method with the brass. So while one hand is trimming, the other is grabbing another piece of brass. It's pretty damn fast once you get into your rhythm.

I can do a gallon zip lock bag full of brass in roughly an hour. I'd estimate that's about 650-700 pieces of brass.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can back that up..  I don't have the Giraud, but I have the FA..  While it is nice, it is a bit slow.  If they cranked up the speed on it, it would be nicer..
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I can back that up..  I don't have the Giraud, but I have the FA..  While it is nice, it is a bit slow.  If they cranked up the speed on it, it would be nicer..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing I ordered the Giraud yesterday ha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top