Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2021 3:42:19 PM EDT
I just picked up a .30 caliber Silencerco Omega 300 suppressor for use on our 300 Blackout and 556 AR-15's.  I also have a dedicated CMMG AR-15 chambered in 22LR.  Can I or should I use this can on it with jacketed 22 ammo?  I know 22LR ammo is dirty and most people with CMMG conversion kits recommend firing a few rounds of .556 through the rifles when the kit is removed to burn off some of the gunk.  Would this be a good idea with a suppressor too or should I just not do it (and buy a dedicated 22LR can)?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No, go buy a rimfire can.

You can’t blow lead out with .223, that’s an urban legend.

I love my Omega! Go shoot some 300blackout subs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot 22LR through my Banish 30 can without hesitation, because it's user serviceable

My understanding is that since the Omega 300 is not user serviceable, it can only take a finite amount of gunk before you need to send it off for cleaning, so if you are concerned about delaying that for as long as possible, I can see why you might want to avoid it.

That being said, a few rounds of 22LR now and then aren't going to make much of a difference
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 Can I or should I use this can on it with jacketed 22 ammo?  
View Quote

There's really no such thing as jacketed .22 LR.   It has existed, but virtually all jacketed-looking .22 S, L or LR you encounter is just copper washed.

No, you do not want to put .22 LR through a sealed can.  High velocity rounds do a good job of minimizing carbon build up, but you fill that thing with lead  from .22 LR or cast bullets, it'll be a recore to fix.

.22 WMR is jacketed, and that's fine.  .17 HMR, .17 M2 and .17 WSM as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT shoot .22LR through a NON-user serviceable can.

I’m pretty sure there is warnings and whatnot on silencerco’s website stating this.

.22LR is dirty and getting the lead out is near impossible. With such an investment, why not just get a dedicated .22lr can anyway?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't want to shoot any rimfire through the omega 300. Sealed and all...

Besides, I'm dumb enough to shoot a couple rounds through it. It's louder than my 22TD... don't waste your time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
New can owner (aac halcyon) ran 200 or so rounds through a mk4 and it is filthy there is no way i would run .22 through a sealed can
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the information guys. I'll probably wind up buying a dedicated 22 LR can.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A DA Mask is $500. Just get that and don't ruin another can. You need a user serviceable .22 can cause those rounds are filthy. Besides it'll be just stupid quiet anyway
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really want a dual purpose can a user serviceable pistol can in 9mm or 45 can pull double duty for rimfire.  That and your Omega 300 for rifle usage would cover the majority of the typical small arms your going to come across.  A dedicated rimfire can will sound the best though and be sized accordingly.  Length and weight add up and depending on the host can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you view it.  The right tool for the job at hand is usually the best approach but its not a hard fast rule.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you really want a dual purpose can a user serviceable pistol can in 9mm or 45 can pull double duty for rimfire.  That and your Omega 300 for rifle usage would cover the majority of the typical small arms your going to come across.  A dedicated rimfire can will sound the best though and be sized accordingly.  Length and weight add up and depending on the host can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you view it.  The right tool for the job at hand is usually the best approach but its not a hard fast rule.
View Quote

The octane 45k and bushwhacker both sounded like junk on a 22lr, along with the omega.

There's no replacement for a proper 22 can.

Maybe one day I'll throw an A2 on on a 22 and shoot a couple rounds out of the m4sd. That will probably work well, in the sound department.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Over bored cans that take a smaller front cap can do OK on rimfire pistols and on a 16” barrel with subs just about any baffle/expansion zones are hearing safe.   But a proper designed rimfire suppressor will always do better as the round needs the right scale features to strip trailing gas off the bore line.  Even without the lead issues for a sealed can, getting a good rimfire can is worth it if you enjoy shooting your rimfire hosts.  Just about every manufacturer has a decent rimfire offering, and weight and cost are the significant discriminators.  Dropping weight usually means harder to maintain aluminum baffles, but the Q El Camino and all titanium EA Nyx are easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an omega and it would not do great with 22lr. As many have said, the blast baffle is going to get caked with crap. If you absolutely have to, they can be cleaned.

The urban legend that centerfire cans clean themselves is just not true. At least the omega doesn’t. Mine gained almost a quarter pound so it spent some time in some mineral spirits and an ultrasonic cleaner. It took a while but the caked on carbon eventually came out. There are threads on other forums on the topic, but even manufactures have said that centerfire cans need cleaning after thousands of rounds of use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top