Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2018 8:43:51 PM EDT
Options for 224 valkyrie brass:

1) Federal New Brass  0.29 each
2) Starline  0.41  each
3) Loaded Federal 75g TMJ  0.50 each (shoot um and load um)

Anyone have any info on the quality of Fed vs Starline?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
lots of guys like starline, but if it was me, I would buy loaded rounds.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This is probably what I’d do also.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is my plan.  I plan on getting a box of each gr and see how my rifle does, then based on that, use that brass for work ups.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nothing special about either of the brass you listed, and neither of them compare to Lapua brass for it's uniformity and consistency instead.

So of the two, would start with Starline brass since some of the Federal brass has been known to be too solt, debur the primer flash channels since they are punched/not drilled and check the uniformity of the flash channel be center of primer pocket, double check the OAL's and give the neck wall thicknesses a quick check to start separating off the not to the norm as well,  then the last  weeding out of non ideal brass by weight and case volumes.  On the new brass with say Starline or Federal brass, your reject rate should only be about 10%, so keep that in mind when you order brass for the amount you going to need.

As for trying to build loads on combo brass like starline and federal brass mixed in the same loads, bad idea since the case volume of the two cases will be different.   So again, would just load up on Starline brass if Lapua brass is not a option to start with, and weed through the new brass for the rejects that you don't want to use to begin with.
View Quote
This. After digging loose primers out of the fire control group on my AR, I quit using Federal rifle brass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#6]
As your Valk is a long range shooter, your brass prep is really important.  I'd read and follow this 6mmBr.com web page on brass prep I bookmarked many years ago.  Getting your brass 'right' takes some work.  Also, I read an interesting thread about weighing and truing your bullets as well to get them consistent as well.  Something to think about as the whole point of the Valk is accuracy at long range.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Detail brass prep is key to anything.
Trim
Chamfer and Deburr
Flash Deburring
Primer Pocket Uniforming
Keep lots of brass together keeping track of # of times fired etch, and retire the brass
A load in brand A brass may not work well in brand B. (Change a major component rework the load)
Some accuracy can be gained with annealing the brass after every firing
FL Sizing to set the shoulder back for reliable chambering in the 2-3 thousandths range
Using a Expandiron Mandrel or Neck Expand mandrel to uniform mangle case mouths
Controlling neck tension via custom honed Forster Dies or Redding Type S FL Sizer looking for neck tension 0.003" spring back

Chasing the lands in auto loaders makes most into single shots, so recognize that.

Quality bullets can be
sorted for weight
sorted bearing surface length
meplat uniformed via trimming
tipped

then again there are lots of people winning matches with bullets straight from the box.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to pile on, but I have to concur with those suggesting against Federal rifle brass.
I’ve found it to be good for two cycles.  Beyond that, primer pockets get unacceptably loose

I have a bucket of once-fired Fed 223/556 that’s specifically for when I can’t expect to recover most of my fired brass.  In other words, it’s no big deal if I lose them
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at Johnny’s Reloading Bench on YT.  I think he was having trouble with the Starline brass in 224V
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look at Johnny’s Reloading Bench on YT.  I think he was having trouble with the Starline brass in 224V
View Quote
Everyone is having issues with 224 Valk brass life.  Doesnt matter the brand.  As soon as you try to actually take advantage the cartridges extra case capacity to pick up FPS it starts to fail.  Most top end loads Ive seen are about 100 FPS faster than the same bullet from a 223.

And accuracy is not something I have been particularly impressed with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top