Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2022 4:44:43 PM EDT
Varget has been almost impossible to find in my area but SWPR is pretty easy to get here. This particular powder has been taunted as being a direct replacement for Varget. My testing today showed they are extremely close in the accuracy department with the Shooters World powder giving me the tightest groups of the day. I used 69gr SMK and 75gr Hornady Match BTHP for my bullets with Federal brass and primers. The scope is a fixed 10x SWFA. Loads were:

69gr SMK 24gr Varget
69gr SMK 24gr SWPR
69gr SMK 24.2gr SWPR
75gr Hornady Match 24gr SWPR
75gr Hornady Match 24.5gr SWPR

The dots are 1” and as you can see, the groups were pretty decent with the 69gr SMK even using a 10x scope. I could probably shrink those groups a little with a higher power scope. NO MATTER what I do, I have never been able to get the Hornady 75gr bullets to shoot well. I also shot each 5 shot group twice in order to be able to compare them later on. 24gr and 24.2gr of SWPR gave some pretty nice groups and whipped Vargets butt today. I’m going to get a few pounds of it to use until I can get Varget.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Until you play with the COL you really can’t judge.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the SW powder a long extrusion shape, like Varget?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
What range? What rifle?  Barrel length?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What range? What rifle?  Barrel length?
View Quote

Ruger Precision Rifle

100yds

20” barrel

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Varget has been available as of late, but the prices will not make you happy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used quite a few pounds now of sw precision  for 223 and 308 it shoots tighter groops than varget for me. I've been super happy with it and it was 20$ a pound when I picked it up. Local shop has a shelf full but they want 50$a pound now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I would like to try Shooters World Precision because I was really impressed with their Match powder. I'm just not willing to pay twice the price for it. Maybe I'll get a pound, maybe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Whenever I look at groups and attempt to interpret them (especially my own), I have to ask these questions.

What is the best/typical, long-term average group size you and the rifle can shoot?

Did you accurately call all the shots (were there any fliers)?

Did you call any of the shots that were out of group?  <-- They're not fliers but you executed poorly.

What were the wind conditions during firing and did wind affect one group more than another?

Did you suffer fatigue and rest during firing?  Did you notice any "training effect" during firing (rusty at the start, then get in a groove, then fatigue set in)?

Basically, are there any mitigating factors embedded in the group sizes you are showing us?

Without some knowledge of the above, we are playing a guessing game.  You are in the best position to answer these questions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whenever I look at groups and attempt to interpret them (especially my own), I have to ask these questions.

What is the best/typical, long-term average group size you and the rifle can shoot?

Did you accurately call all the shots (were there any fliers)?

Did you call any of the shots that were out of group?  <-- They're not fliers but you executed poorly.

What were the wind conditions during firing and did wind affect one group more than another?

Did you suffer fatigue and rest during firing?  Did you notice any "training effect" during firing (rusty at the start, then get in a groove, then fatigue set in)?

Basically, are there any mitigating factors embedded in the group sizes you are showing us?

Without some knowledge of the above, we are playing a guessing game.  You are in the best position to answer these questions.
View Quote

This was not anything scientific, just my test of a new powder to see if it could replace what I am having a hard time getting. I’m just a normal joe loading ammo for me to send down range. I don’t have fancy loading equipment, chronographs, machines to read wind or barometric pressure and the such. I’m sure I had flyers which were my fault, but the gun is capable of better groups and have shot better groups. The 10x scope is a hindrance to shooting smaller groups as well. I do have a higher power Viper PST headed here which should help get some smaller groups ..
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: 24gr and 24.2gr of SWPR gave some pretty nice groups and whipped Vargets butt today. I’m going to get a few pounds of it to use until I can get Varget.
View Quote

I am a little confused by this comment.
You state that the SW powder out performed varget, so you are going to use it until you can get some more varget? Then I assume switch back to varget?

I would think if it performs better (for you/your gun), I would just switch to using the SW powder. I have done this many times over the years. I try a new powder and find I get better accuracy with it, and switch to using it and forget about the other powder I was using before.
This is probably why I have so many partial bottles of powder......
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This was not anything scientific, just my test of a new powder to see if it could replace what I am having a hard time getting. I’m just a normal joe loading ammo for me to send down range. I don’t have fancy loading equipment, chronographs, machines to read wind or barometric pressure and the such. I’m sure I had flyers which were my fault, but the gun is capable of better groups and have shot better groups. The 10x scope is a hindrance to shooting smaller groups as well. I do have a higher power Viper PST headed here which should help get some smaller groups ..
View Quote

Without getting quantitative, I'd say the 69 SMK out-performed the 75 BTHP.  Beyond that, and without answers and insight into the issues I raised above, the groups are too large to say anything about the powder.

I don't see anything on the target that disqualifies the SWP powder.

From what I see, I'd suggest using the 69 SMK and SWP powder (because you can get it).

A bit of philosophy - it isn't the scope that generates good groups, it's the shooter.  With a proper target, 10X is fine for 100 yards.

Thanks for the post.  I found your post interesting enough to look at it and read it several times.  That is why I bothered to ask all those stupid questions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, Thanks for posting this.  I am down to my last Lb of Varget and haven't seen any in a store in years.  Last I saw online was at rape me pricing.  Been hoping to find some SWPR to compare with my bolt 223 Varget loads.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The 10x scope is a hindrance to shooting smaller groups as well.
View Quote

At 100 yards?  You need a better target, and perhaps better form, not a bigger scope.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At 100 yards?  You need a better target, and perhaps better form, not a bigger scope.
View Quote

I agree.  A key is to not allow your shots to obliterate your point of aim.  Deliberately offset the reticle by a couple MOA.  When you are done testing, remove those extra clicks and verify you are zeroed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You state that the SW powder out performed varget, so you are going to use it until you can get some more varget? Then I assume switch back to varget?

I would think if it performs better (for you/your gun), I would just switch to using the SW powder. I have done this many times over the years. I try a new powder and find I get better accuracy with it, and switch to using it and forget about the other powder I was using before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: 24gr and 24.2gr of SWPR gave some pretty nice groups and whipped Vargets butt today. I’m going to get a few pounds of it to use until I can get Varget.

That was a little confusing on my end. I love Varget for 308.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree.  A key is to not allow your shots to obliterate your point of aim.  Deliberately offset the reticle by a couple MOA.  When you are done testing, remove those extra clicks and verify you are zeroed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for that bit of information. I will try it next time I have time to shoot to see if I can improve the grouping.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have used quite a few pounds now of sw precision  for 223 and 308 it shoots tighter groops than varget for me. I've been super happy with it and it was 20$ a pound when I picked it up. Local shop has a shelf full but they want 50$a pound now.
View Quote

Considering Varget is $61/lb before shipping and hazmat online, $50 seems like a bargain unfortunately

I’ll be down in Orlando in a little more than a week.  Need to find some local shops around there to peruse in order to find some SW Precision since I’ve got <4lbs of Varget left
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.

Best group I ever saw at 150 yds. was shot with a 3X9 scope.  A dime covered the holes from 5 shots.  Rem. M700 in .222.

Best 100 yd. AR15 group I ever shot (3 shots) was with a 3X9 scope.

All my M700 VS .223 groundhog shooting was done with the 4X12 set to 8X from up close out to 225 yds.  All head shots but one and I still don't know how I messed that one up.

A big scope messes with my head due to the cross hairs moving with my heartbeat.

I never seemed to have the issue with rifles when I was shooting them more but what I do with pistols these days is I always have my P07 with me.  If the groups from the other guns/loads is making me unhappy and I begin to wonder if it's me or the guns/loads I'm shooting I pull the P07 and and shoot a 5 shot group.  That always tells me whether if it's me or not.  If I shoot a bad group with the P07 it's time to go home.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
How is this powder in the temp sensitiivity area?

Anyone know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top