BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2018 11:36:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for doing the testing and presenting the statistical analysis, Ray.

Was this the meter that was modified from a stock LXT that you were talking about earlier, if so, did you ever figure out what the modifications were?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting, thanks for doing this testing and analysis!

From this one consumer's perspective, my critical question is whether you think the data generated is consistent enough that it could be used to demonstrate how well ear numbers compare to muzzle numbers on a relative and not absolute basis?  Or to demonstrate relative differences between 2 or more products?

In other words, if the numbers can't be reliably precise, are they still consistent enough to generate useful comparison data?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for taking the time to run the comparison!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
This may be a dumb question, but in the T Test you have, none of the values are treated as log base 10, so doesn't that screw up the difference and mean calculations?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This may be a dumb question, but in the T Test you have, none of the values are treated as log base 10, so doesn't that screw up the difference and mean calculations?
View Quote
Hmm, interesting point.  I took the 10 shots from the 2209 and converted to Pascals rounded to the nearest 10th:
Average is 132.5 Pascals, converted back to dbSPL is 136.5, which is pretty close to what OP got, 136.375.  STDEV in Pa is 14.8.
For the RNG LXT in Pa:
Average is 116.97 Pa, converted to dbSPL is 135.3.  STDEV in Pa is 10.9.
Difference for each shot in Pa:
You can use this web page to go between dbSPL and Pa:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundlevel.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just sitting here for a minute i may have missed a number, but the 2209 shows 3db extreme spread and the lxt ~2.2db extreme spread implying the lxt was potentially 25 percent  tighter on analysis for r&d purposes.  The 1.3db disparity is the difference between the 2209 and lxt reported average result (which would effect an advertised specification), but the r&d message would appear to be be 25% clearer here. That should be a set of numbers to compare with the next set of numbers, so the exact value of all numbers  being 1.3db off is irrelevant really to r&d.
View Quote
You can't lay the spread completely on the test equipment. Yes, there is some variability in the performance, but there is also variability in the gunshot being measured since each cartridge is not exactly the same (powder variation, etc.).

If you take the 2209 as the gold standard, then the variability of the LXT is all over the place (ie, it's not consistently 1/2 a dB lower than the 2209).
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The information you posted was good, but I am not sure I agree with your conclusion. From what you recorded, I think I am correct iin assuming you were using either A or C weighting and not unweighted (also called Z-weighting). When using A or C, the response and rise time are degraded to that of a 25-or-so microsecond meter. In your string on the 2208, there was a shot-to-shot variation of slightly over 2 dB with similar variation on the LxT.

Had you used unweighted, the difference between the LxT and 2209 would have been on the order of roughly 8 dB rather than the 1.06 that you showed. In that case, I would agree with you without question.

With A or C weighting, the results you obtained with the 2209 are in line with my LD-800B, which has a measured rise time of 13 microseconds. The rise time is inversely related to the highest frequency the meter will measure without distortion, and this frequency defines the sampling rate.

Obviously, the LxT, 800B, and 2209 are not as accurate as the Pulse system, especially unweighted. We had a Pulse demo here at Gemtech a couple of years ago, and compared it to the 800B. Obviously, unweighted, the Pulse read higher. But with C-weighting (closer to correct than A), the difference was minimal. BTW, the 1/4" pressure mic with its 5 microsecond rise time will limit the Pulse's response -- you need the 1/8" pressure mic.

Is the LxT ideal? Definitely not, but it is a lot better than 95% of the meters out there on firearm sounds -- especially when looking at the meters that a number of LE crime labs use. It at least has a peak detector. The industry standard (and permitted in MIL-STD 1474D and before) permit the use of A or C weighting. For these parameters, it is acceptable. The 2209 is considered pretty much the standard of our industry. While the LxT reads slightly over 1 dB low in your example, your round-to-round ammo variation is greater than that. Is averaging 10 rounds adequate? Sure. Would the Std Dev be better at 100 rounds averaged? Possibly. Do you really lose that much averaging only 5 rounds? Not really.

For most purposes, I believe the LxT is adequate, and for the price, it is a better choice than most of what is on the market. If you want really accurate hearing damage risk, bypass the 2208 or 800B and step up to the Pulse system and do not use weighting.
View Quote
Phil,

Thanks for your reply, to me you are the foremost expert on this subject and used your analysis when I bought my lxt. I just ordered a 2209 to do this exact comparison to show what the lxt can do and I only use C weighting based on our conversation about the lxt.  This will never put this argument to rest until a standard changes but should show the average guy the results are perfect from the lxt.  As always your knowledge and opinions are extremely welcomed and helpful.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Excellent info. Thanks for taking the time to conduct the experience to, and then to do the write-up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When in this screen you have to press 4 buttons between each shot you take to reset the LXT.
View Quote
Is there more information on what this 4 button "reset" is? I use the LXT from time to time, and am interested in better using it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Phil,

Thanks for your reply, to me you are the foremost expert on this subject and used your analysis when I bought my lxt. I just ordered a 2209 to do this exact comparison to show what the lxt can do and I only use C weighting based on our conversation about the lxt.  This will never put this argument to rest until a standard changes but should show the average guy the results are perfect from the lxt.  As always your knowledge and opinions are extremely welcomed and helpful.
View Quote
If you're going to do some comparison, hopefully you can do some testing to answer my previous question--I'll copy it here:

"From this one consumer's perspective, my critical question is whether you think the data generated is consistent enough that it could be used to demonstrate how well ear numbers compare to muzzle numbers on a relative and not absolute basis? Or to demonstrate relative differences between 2 or more products?

In other words, if the numbers can't be reliably precise, are they still consistent enough to generate useful comparison data?"
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve said all along that the numbers are good enough. What at ear numbers are you looking for? What suppressors?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top