Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2023 8:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tazaroo]
Just wondering if there is a current source of original USGI 20mm Vulcan blue tip practice rounds or if anyone had any loaded ammo for sale?  Also, what should I expect to pay for original blue tip USGI practice rounds if I can find them?  Thanks in advance folks.

UPDATE:
I was finally able to meet up with the guy and take some pics of the ammo and display here before I commit.  Do these look legit or are they reloads?  All have primers except the AP one .  
002 by vintage  collector, on Flickr
001 by vintage  collector, on Flickr
003 by vintage  collector, on Flickr
005 by vintage  collector, on Flickr
004 by vintage  collector, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not seen any for sale for a long time.

I'm afraid that 20mm is suffering a similar fate as 40mm given a recent opinion from the BATFEllows.  Only the 40mm has the workaround of removing the blank.

Also, i would imagine that there is an incredibly small market for bulk 20mm Vulcan ammo due to the electric primer.  It's a caliber that probably doesn't get shot much other than by .mil.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

I'm afraid that 20mm is suffering a similar fate as 40mm given a recent opinion from the BATFEllows.  Only the 40mm has the workaround of removing the blank.

Also, i would imagine that there is an incredibly small market for bulk 20mm Vulcan ammo due to the electric primer.  It's a caliber that probably doesn't get shot much other than by .mil.
View Quote

So all the 20mm Vulcan I’ve seen is of the primer type and not the electrically primed.  What “opinions” do you speak of regarding 20mm?  Is no one able to make new ammo?  What about the sale of loaded old stock?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Mike at Anzio was pretty much the sole remaining source.

It's a problem - you can't even get suitable powder for it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tazaroo:

So all the 20mm Vulcan I’ve seen is of the primer type and not the electrically primed.  What “opinions” do you speak of regarding 20mm?  Is no one able to make new ammo?  What about the sale of loaded old stock?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I thought 20 Vulcan was electrically primed, but I could be wrong.

ATF was saying a while back that if ammo is not "small arms ammo", then it is not exempt from Federal explosive regulations.  I believe that this is why most of the 40mm sold nowadays keeps the .38 blank separated from the case.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]

ATF was saying a while back that if ammo is not "small arms ammo", then it is not exempt from Federal explosive regulations.  I believe that this is why most of the 40mm sold nowadays keeps the .38 blank separated from the case.
View All Quotes

20x102mm exists in both electrically primed and percussion primed versions but the percussion system was done away with decades ago. Any factory percussion rounds floating around are pretty old but many have been loaded for the secondary market.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

@Bravo Six

The reason I started this whole thread was to see basically what the current going rate was for 20mm Vulcan per round.  In all honesty, I have a line on approximately 100 rounds of blue tip, percussion primed for $400 and wanted to see if that was a good price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

20x102mm exists in both electrically primed and percussion primed versions but the percussion system was done away with decades ago. Any factory percussion rounds floating around are pretty old but many have been loaded for the secondary market.
View All Quotes

I stand corrected.

@Bravo Six

The reason I started this whole thread was to see basically what the current going rate was for 20mm Vulcan per round.  In all honesty, I have a line on approximately 100 rounds of blue tip, percussion primed for $400 and wanted to see if that was a good price.

Gotcha.  $4/round sounds like a fantastic price.  That's cheaper than a lot of .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]

@Bravo Six

View Quote
if you legitimately want it I would have bought that yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
if you legitimately want it I would have bought that yesterday.
View Quote

I have it secured.  ;) I'm a 01 FFL and on occasion flip things for profit but I've never heard about a AFT opinion on Vulncan ammo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]

@Bravo Six

View All Quotes

@Bravo Six

When Mike had it available last time I bought any it was $14.50 per round plus freight. I bought a full 20mm can.

That was an expensive damn shipment.

$4 each frankly sounds like "stolen" pricing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]

When Mike had it available last time I bought any it was $14.50 per round plus freight. I bought a full 20mm can.

View Quote

The seller has had them for over a decade and just wanted them gone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

You're making out like a bandit.

These days I expect the cost per round to be $20 or more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

@Third_Rail

Can this stuff ship regular UPS ORM-D ground?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#14]

@Third_Rail

View All Quotes

@Third_Rail

No - not legally. It must ship by freight as hazardous unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

10-4....thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#16]

10-4....thanks.
View All Quotes

10-4....thanks.

No problem. It's funny to think you'll end up paying more in freight than the cost of the ammo. You're really getting one hell of a deal!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy fired brass and projos from CDVS
Reprime with percussion 50bmg primers and a small bushing
Work up a load with WC 860
Get a 50bmg press from your company of choice and the 20mm dies from CH4D

Could also turn projos on a lathe for it
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]

No problem. It's funny to think you'll end up paying more in freight than the cost of the ammo. You're really getting one hell of a deal!
View All Quotes

10-4....thanks.

@Third_Rail
Know of a good haz mat shipper besides UPS or FedEx?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]

@Third_Rail
View All Quotes

10-4....thanks.

@Third_Rail

It'll need to go freight. That was the case even a decade ago. I used MTS buying from Mike.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump with pics.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#21]
They look like percussion primed reloads to me. Nothing wrong with them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#22]
They look like percussion primed reloads to me. Nothing wrong with them.
View Quote

Cool…..I’ll make him an offer.  Thoughts on the AP round?  What would shoot it?  Is it worth anything or is it dangerous?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:52:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#23]

Cool…..I’ll make him an offer.  Thoughts on the AP round?  What would shoot it?  Is it worth anything or is it dangerous?
View Quote

From the base it appears to be a 20x102mm dummy. No clue on the current value.

ETA: For those 50 rounds you're coming out ahead for any sum under a thousand bucks in my opinion. Don't offer so low that he calls it off.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

There is powder in the case.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]

ETA: For those 50 rounds you're coming out ahead for any sum under a thousand bucks in my opinion. Don't offer so low that he calls it off.
View Quote

@Third_Rail
96 rounds total including the black tip
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#26]

@Third_Rail
View All Quotes

@Third_Rail

In terms of current value, figure market around $20/round for loaded target practice ammo like that. If you can get it sub-$10 a round you're doing incredibly well.

Puzzling on the one black tip. It doesn't appear to have any primer whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#27]

In terms of current value, figure market around $20/round for loaded target practice ammo like that. If you can get it sub-$10 a round you're doing incredibly well.

View All Quotes

@Third_Rail

@Third_Rail

Electric primed?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Electric primers look like a giant shotgun primer. The double ring is a giveaway.

The pictured round doesn't appear to have any primer whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Electric primers look like a giant shotgun primer. The double ring is a giveaway.

The pictured round doesn't appear to have any primer whatsoever.
View Quote

Got ya…..thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jntmjt1] [#30]
I've handled more of that ammo than could be counted.  But... I haven't handled any in several years.  To me, the primers don't look right.  I'll bet they are reloads, that's just my gut instinct based off of how the primers look.  I've NEVER seen a live round with no primer at all, so I'm not sure what's up with that oddball.

Electrically primed 20mm for the M61 gun (as previously mentioned) is also percussion primed.  So, the primer must be there.  The gun's bolts have firing pins that do strike (dent) the primer at the same time the 250vdc (going from memory) of current passes through.

So, i'd say at that price you are doing completely fine, as you probably can't buy dummy rounds for that price.  But... NO WAY would I shoot those if I had a 20mm.  Also, just to mention in case you are unaware, electrically primed ammo is very dangerous.  Static electricity can theoretically set it off.  If it is electrically primed, handle it with care.  Ground yourself before you touch it, every time.

Edited to add:  All of the dummy 20mm ammo I've seen was either white "plastic/nylon" (solid all one-piece) or it was all steel or some kind of alloy (also solid all one-piece).  But apparently there are some type of black "projectile" dummy rounds.  You can bet that's what your oddball with no primer is.  Here's a link to those: practice dummy ammo

JT
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jntmjt1:
I've handled more of that ammo than could be counted.  But... I haven't handled any in several years.  To me, the primers don't look right.  I'll bet they are reloads, that's just my gut instinct based off of how the primers look.  I've NEVER seen a live round with no primer at all, so I'm not sure what's up with that oddball.

Electrically primed 20mm for the M61 gun (as previously mentioned) is also percussion primed.  So, the primer must be there.  The gun's bolts have firing pins that do strike (dent) the primer at the same time the 250vdc (going from memory) of current passes through.

So, i'd say at that price you are doing completely fine, as you probably can't buy dummy rounds for that price.  But... NO WAY would I shoot those if I had a 20mm.  Also, just to mention in case you are unaware, electrically primed ammo is very dangerous.  Static electricity can theoretically set it off.  If it is electrically primed, handle it with care.  Ground yourself before you touch it, every time.

Edited to add:  All of the dummy 20mm ammo I've seen was either white "plastic/nylon" (solid all one-piece) or it was all steel or some kind of alloy (also solid all one-piece).  But apparently there are some type of black "projectile" dummy rounds.  You can bet that's what your oddball with no primer is.  Here's a link to those: practice dummy ammo

JT
View Quote

@jntmjt1

I think it’s a .50 BMG primer with the bushing.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#32]
I've handled more of that ammo than could be counted.  But... I haven't handled any in several years.  To me, the primers don't look right.  I'll bet they are reloads, that's just my gut instinct based off of how the primers look.
View All Quotes
I've handled more of that ammo than could be counted.  But... I haven't handled any in several years.  To me, the primers don't look right.  I'll bet they are reloads, that's just my gut instinct based off of how the primers look.

We're in agreement there. They look like reloads to me as well.

Personally I wouldn't have issues firing them. The likelihood of someone having a press and dies for 20x102mm - and actual M36A2 primers - but not loading to spec is vanishingly small.

ETA:

@jntmjt1

I think it’s a .50 BMG primer with the bushing.  

I zoomed in and that seems to be correct. Disregard the above about primers being M36A2!
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#33]
CDVS used to have stockpiles for sale. Looks like they are even sold out of reloading components aside from the brass. Didn’t realize this was getting so hard to get, glad I never got into 20mm, lot of cost for something you can’t find ammo to shoot. Could always have a machine shop make the projectiles. Just need a suitable powder and primers then.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slapdaddy] [#34]
Another case of "it will never be cheaper than whatever it is right now".

Consider reloading.  Also not cheap and a lot of leg work, but not impossible.

CH4D at one time made 2" diameter sizing dies for these.  With a phone call I suspect they still would.  PT&G can make a chamber Go and No-go gage.  Jeff Bartlett still has WC-872 pull-down ball powder for not too much.  Almost twice what it was last time I looked years ago, but not horible.

I have not seen m36 primers pop up in years, although the CCI No35 workaround is a thing that has already been braught up.  Once fired cases turns up here and there in various quantities and condition.  I even scored 200 unfired cases and some PGU TP projectiles once.  That wasn't cheap, but it was a fraction of what it would fetch right now or anytime in the future.  Most sources dried up long ago but the stuff is still out there in the wild.

So...reloading 20mm isn't hopeless, but it will take some sleuthing.  It's either that or deal with that Shady Grady guy's prices on GB.

Barrels on the other hand are another story.  If you not already sitting on one or two, your kind of SOL.  I can't believe these used to sell for $3-400 on a good day.  Not any more! LOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#35]
That appears to be a PGU 39/B dummy round used by maintenance techs to troubleshoot issues with and calibrate linkless feeding mechanisms for M61 Vulcans.  Notice the cartridge case shoulder is out of spec compared with the blue tips.  It's to ensure a round out of dimension won't be chambered and will be ejected by the auto feeder.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#36]
you need some of these red tips.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#37]
What are the red tips? Is that a groove someone cut to confirm what it was?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
What are the red tips? Is that a groove someone cut to confirm what it was?
View Quote

Polymer discarding sabot. AP ammo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PvtCowboy:
That appears to be a PGU 39/B dummy round used by maintenance techs to troubleshoot issues with and calibrate linkless feeding mechanisms for M61 Vulcans.  Notice the cartridge case shoulder is out of spec compared with the blue tips.  It's to ensure a round out of dimension won't be chambered and will be ejected by the auto feeder.

View Quote

Thanks for that info.  Appreciate it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top