Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2020 10:03:04 PM EDT
Okay. So I picked up a TC 10/22 clone going to put to use out on the farm for some small animal control (turtles, crow,starlings, etc)

I have used the fiber sights but it is time for a scope.  

I have several vortex scopes so I am familiar with their line but there are 2 scopes that are really close.  

Diamondback 2-7 rimfire
Crossfire 2 2-7 rimfire

All shots will be 0-100 with 150 being an absolute max prayer.

Which of the 2 or is there something else I should look at? Need fairly light decent glass and able to be tough enough to ride around in the mule.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn’t look like either of those have adjustable parallax settings. I wouldn’t consider a fixed parallax scope unless I was only shooting at the distance it was set for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn’t look like either of those have adjustable parallax settings. I wouldn’t consider a fixed parallax scope unless I was only shooting at the distance it was set for.
View Quote

Crossfire it set at 50
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Crossfire it set at 50
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossfire it set at 50

Looks like both are set at 50. Since you plan to shoot at other distances (based on your first post) it would be to you advantage to have a scope with an adjustable parallax setting.

The only way to know which scopes have an adjustable parallax is to look at the specs.

I have a Bushnell Engage 2.5-10x44 on my 10/22 that is adjustable from 10 yards to infinity. It has good glass and I like the reticle. Worth checking out imo. Has a good warranty and on sale right now on the Bushnell website.

I’m sure there are plenty other scopes with adjustable parallax, hopefully you will get some other recommendations.

I shoot mostly from 25 to 100 yards and having an adjustable parallax makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The 22 scope market is missing the weaver rimfires that I used to like. Redfield makes some reasonably priced 3-9 rifle scopes it's not really a rimfire scope so parallax is only ideal if your'e at 100.  Redfield 3-9x40 Revolution TAC has an interesting reticle it is: "The new Tac-MOA reticle features stadia lines on the vertical and horizontal crosshairs set at two MOA increments. This allows the shooter to quickly compensate for bullet drop or wind and can be used to estimate range on objects of known size."
Either of the scopes you mentioned should be OK for a 22. This would give you adjustable parallax:  Bushnell 4-12x40 Engage Rifle Scope  Parallax Adjustment Range (yds):10 - infinity interestingly enough it has a MOA based reticle also so this would probably be a better choice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:42:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Is parallax something that is going to be detrimental on this type of rifle.  (Not shooting for groups).  Looking at hitting grain stealers when a shotgun isn’t warranted and I want to be quiet with suppressor attached

I understand what parallax is I just didn’t know if it is something that should be considered on a 22 can and squirrel killer lol.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the PA 1x6 acss 22lr. Such a great scope for 22lr!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get the PA 1x6 acss 22lr. Such a great scope for 22lr!!
View Quote

Good suggestion cap.  Actually looked at those but I am not looking to spend more than the rifle cost lol.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Between the 2 Vortex scopes, the Diamondback without a doubt but I would also seriously consider the Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33 as well. All of my magnified optics are either Leupold or Vortex. Vortex offers great bang for the buck but the Leupold's always have better glass and I prefer products made in the US. In most cases Leupolds are a lot more money but in this cause the price difference is only $10. Both companies have great CS so you probably can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Between the 2 Vortex scopes, the Diamondback without a doubt but I would also seriously consider the Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33 as well. All of my magnified optics are either Leupold or Vortex. Vortex offers great bang for the buck but the Leupold's always have better glass and I prefer products made in the US. In most cases Leupolds are a lot more money but in this cause the price difference is only $10. Both companies have great CS so you probably can't go wrong with either.
View Quote

Came here to say this very thing.  Executive summary:

1.  Leupold Freedom rimfire - US designed and assembled.  Unknown glass, probably Philippine.  Better optically than others.  Very solid construction.
2.  Vortex Diamondback rimfire - Philippine glass and assembly.  Glass not quite as good as Leupold Freedom.  Much better than Crossfire.
3.  Vortex Crossfire - Chinese through and through.  Well below both scopes above in all respects.  Cheap and not just in price.

Rimfire parallax settings are important.  If set for 50 yards, as these are, parallax is fine to at least 150 with only 7x and that size objective lens. That's  as far as you really want to shoot at 7x and rimfire trajectory.  With relatively low power and .22LR what you are correcting with fixed parallax is error at close range, not so much at distance.  You don't want a blurred image or aiming error at 10-15 yards as would be the case with a 100 or 150 yard parallax setting in a centerfire scope.
2-7x is a great, slim, lightweight, classic rimfire scope.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rimfire parallax settings are important.  If set for 50 yards, as these are, parallax is fine to at least 150 with only 7x and that size objective lens. That's  as far as you really want to shoot at 7x and rimfire trajectory.  With relatively low power and .22LR what you are correcting with fixed parallax is error at close range, not so much at distance.  You don't want a blurred image or aiming error at 10-15 yards as would be the case with a 100 or 150 yard parallax setting in a centerfire scope.
2-7x is a great, slim, lightweight, classic rimfire scope.
View Quote

This is what I have read also.  A 50 yard parallax is pretty close to ideal for a .22lr in most cases.  

Between the Crossfire and Diamondback, I would definitely go the Diamondback route.  I've always bought Nikon rimfire scopes so not sure what I'll do if I need another.  Probably a Vortex or Leupold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top