Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2018 4:12:57 PM EDT
I found this 20" barreled "Texan" in .30-30 at a local pawn shop. I gave $300.00 OTD for it.

Attachment Attached File

It had years of accumulated grime/dried lube on it but no rust to speak of. It cleaned-up just fine after a detail strip. It was missing it's elevator but I had another that fit.

336 RC (regular carbine) marked barrel.

Old Guns serial look-up for serial #U22XXX says: The year of manufacture for U = 1960 (August)-1961.

Sadly someone took the Marlin "bullseye" out and used the hole for a sling swivel stud but that's something I can fix on down the road if I want.

I put a like vintage Weaver 2.5X scope on it. It has a post/crosshair reticle.

According to the MarlinOwners forum all straight stocked 336s are "Texans".

My 1954 336 RC in .35 Remington is also a "Texan".....Who knew?

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You paid $300 - what's the value of it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the straight stock. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd guess $450 if not a little more. There were far more C/RC rifles made than Texans.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd guess $450 if not a little more. There were far more C/RC rifles made than Texans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's about right.....I just always liked the looks/feel of the straight stocked Marlins and thought a .30-30 would be nice to complement my .35....Plus I have a bunch of .30-30 ammo and had nothing to shoot it with.

From what I read there were a lot more revolver cartridge straight-stock Marlins made than the rifle caliber examples. In fact I don't ever remember seeing a .44 mag or .357 pistol gripped 336.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I would buy them all day at $300.  You did well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's about right.....I just always liked the looks/feel of the straight stocked Marlins and thought a .30-30 would be nice to complement my .35....Plus I have a bunch of .30-30 ammo and had nothing to shoot it with.

From what I read there were a lot more revolver cartridge straight-stock Marlins made than the rifle caliber examples. In fact I don't ever remember seeing a .44 mag or .357 pistol gripped 336.
View Quote
There were only a couple tool-room prototype 336s in .357, all other Marlin .357s were 1894s. Pistol-grip 1894s were manufactured, but not in large quantities.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would buy them all day at $300.  You did well.
View Quote
In that condition and price I would find more room in the safes for more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top