Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2020 12:45:48 AM EDT

My buddy dropped off this  inherited Thompson at my house the other day, apparently he tried disassembling it and got it stuck in the above position. Try as I might I can't get it to move forward or back, although I'm not very experienced in Thompsons at all. Hopefully one of you guys can help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Bet you a doughnut the hammer's forward.

FP did NOT NI.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Small screwdriver to depress the sear/ takedown button

Also that thing is hideous
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The old "Freedom Forever" commemorative chrome Auto Ordinance "Thompson."

I say leave it like that as an object lesson for people who spend good money on a poser POS firearm.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Small screwdriver to depress the sear/ takedown button

Also that thing is hideous
View Quote

This.  

The semi-autos have to have the takedown pin pressed into the upper to get it past trigger assembly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll try that and report back this evening. Yes, this thing is an abomination. For some reason my buddys late grandfather bought it and none of the family wanted it so now he has it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE: I assembled the abomination but now the magazine won't lock in lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Surely that's the original magazine & mag catch?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The semi auto Thompsons can be a lot of fun. I’ve SBR’d two of them and they’re a hoot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Surely that's the original magazine & mag catch?
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.  GI ones will not work without mods for some STUPID reason known only to Auto Ordnance.  This one looks to be the chrome one supplied with the gun.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The "stupid reason" was that the ATF demanded that the semi-auto Thompson could not use full-auto parts.
So, to prevent using full-auto bolts and parts the upper receiver was made slightly lower then the full-auto.
This prevents standard magazines from seating deep enough to be locked in place by the mag catch.

To use original full-auto magazines, you can file the mag catch hole in the back of the magazine a slight bit upward so the catch will enter the hole, OR alter the magazine catch to allow the catch to seat in an unaltered magazine.

A bit of anti-gun history.......
In the post-war days the ATF would not allow any firearm to be made that even looked much like a Thompson SMG.
This was to the point that when Plainfield wanted to put an aluminum stock with a real M1A1 Thompson butt stock on their M1 Carbine, the ATF almost stopped them from selling it.

When Numrich announced he was going to market a semi-auto legal Thompson carbine, the ATF refused to allow it.
Numrich threatened to take them to court, and knowing that since there was no law or regulation that prevented the gun from being sold, they backed off rather then risk a Federal judge handing down a far-reaching decision.  
However, they insisted that they'd ban it if it was possible to convert it to full-auto or open bolt fire.

At a news conference announcing the new semi-auto Thompson Model 1927-A1, Numrich bragged that he'd spent $100,000 designing a semi-auto Thompson using many original full-auto parts that could not be converted to full-auto.

Within two months The Shotgun News was full of offers to sell instructions on how to convert the new gun to open bolt, and full-auto.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The "stupid reason" was that the ATF demanded that the semi-auto Thompson could not use full-auto parts.
So, to prevent using full-auto bolts and parts the upper receiver was made slightly lower then the full-auto.
This prevents standard magazines from seating deep enough to be locked in place by the mag catch.

To use original full-auto magazines, you can file the mag catch hole in the back of the magazine a slight bit upward so the catch will enter the hole, OR alter the magazine catch to allow the catch to seat in an unaltered magazine.

A bit of anti-gun history.......
In the post-war days the ATF would not allow any firearm to be made that even looked much like a Thompson SMG.
This was to the point that when Plainfield wanted to put an aluminum stock with a real M1A1 Thompson butt stock on their M1 Carbine, the ATF almost stopped them from selling it.

When Numrich announced he was going to market a semi-auto legal Thompson carbine, the ATF refused to allow it.
Numrich threatened to take them to court, and knowing that since there was no law or regulation that prevented the gun from being sold, they backed off rather then risk a Federal judge handing down a far-reaching decision.  
However, they insisted that they'd ban it if it was possible to convert it to full-auto or open bolt fire.

At a news conference announcing the new semi-auto Thompson Model 1927-A1, Numrich bragged that he'd spent $100,000 designing a semi-auto Thompson using many original full-auto parts that could not be converted to full-auto.

Within two months The Shotgun News was full of offers to sell instructions on how to convert the new gun to open bolt, and full-auto.
View Quote

Ha!  Nice bit of history!!!!  Thank you!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top