Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2023 2:27:31 PM EDT
My 1911 is shooting Correct in elevation but is about 3 to 4 inches to the left. I know I have to move the rear sight to the right, but it won’t budge with a hammer and a brass drift, and I don’t want to mess it up.
Is there an inexpensive rear sight tool that works,
Or do I have to spend the big bucks for one?
I’m only needing it for the 1911/A1 so it does not have to be a “one tool fits all. “
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the vism ncstar one from Amazon. Cheap but works.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Flynnchester:
My 1911 is shooting Correct in elevation but is about 3 to 4 inches to the left. I know I have to move the rear sight to the right, but it won't budge with a hammer and a brass drift, and I don't want to mess it up.
Is there an inexpensive rear sight tool that works,
Or do I have to spend the big bucks for one?
I'm only needing it for the 1911/A1 so it does not have to be a "one tool fits all. "
View Quote
Use a bigger hammer unless it has a tritium vial. IMHO if it is that stuck a cheap sight tool may not get it. I have a nice one that will have a hard time on Kimbers. I think Kimber just press the darn things on with a 20 ton press. Mine while not stupid expensive was not cheap either. I wore out the anvil and Wheeler sent me a new one free. I am going to make my own anvil, it is really lacking to be universal but works on many. It will for sure take care of your rear. Whichever one you get, if it seems stuck, just load up on then give a few raps on the tool to help break it loose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3NU0U2/
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention it is factory ceracoated. Will that make it stick more?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Flynnchester:
I forgot to mention it is factory ceracoated. Will that make it stick more?
View Quote
Not really. I am a cerakoter. Some factories just press fit a tight clearance or over time it can corrode but all the ones I have done it is just certain 1911's fight you to come off. That being said, the rears have a large area to get on so they come off easy or move in comparison to the front that is thin and delicate. I have ruined a few stubborn ones.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Got brave and put the slide in the vise(protected of course) and got a bigger hammer.
It moved!
Attachment Attached File

And took it to the range today, looks like it’s spot on now.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Heck yeah, glad you got it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Wheeler sight adjustment tool on sale.  I think it was ~100 bucks.

I've used it more times than I thought I would.  My pistols, my brothers pistols, my buddies pistols.

It's one of those things you don't want to spend the money on, but I'd recommend picking one up.  They are awfully handy, don't mar sights, and are easier/more precise than hammer and punch method.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top