Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2018 11:43:44 PM EDT
Has anyone here built a sbr based on a 1911 pistol?
I was thinking of building one with some form of a small folding stock.

I am already building a 1911 that will be the permanent host for my silencerco osprey, so I was thinking that would be perfect

With the appropriate paperwork, of course.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the old carbine kits, with a 16" barrel and detachable stock (uses a specialized mainspring housing). So, I've built a rifle from a 1911, but haven't ever bothered to paper it so I could use the stock without the 16" barrel installed.

The longer barrel makes cycling a bit iffy for me, though I haven't used it in that configuration a whole lot to see if it's something that will work in through repeated use.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I just saw an ad for the Iver Johnson carbine, https://iverjohnsonarms.com/store/p160/1911A1_Carbine.html

Not positive all parts can interchange of course, but it's a start.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have SARCO's 16” bbl, but Iver Johnson won't sell just the stock.  I can make my own, but bit of a pain.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am already building a 1911 that will be the permanent host for my silencerco osprey, so I was thinking that would be perfect

View Quote
I have SBRed a Glock 23.  My original project was to make a folding gun like the magpul  FMG9.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzlTEysYVU

I am a 1911 guy, and i think the 1911 would also make a good host for a folding gun but thought that magpul was going to continue their project, making mine easier, but they didn't.

I started with just a simple stock and folding foregrip but ended up doing the mini roni for now.  I still have not lost sight of my original project, but it is so hot in my shop in Florida in the summer.

What where you thinking about doing?  Not just a stock I speculate?

Pistol braces where not a thing when I did my SBR.  If I had to do it over again, I might look closely at a pistol brace if all I wanted to do was add a "stock."
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm starting the process...it might be another year or two before it is finished. Mine will be an "SBR" with select fire capability (legal/registered). Still debating FA or 3 round burst. FA will be a lot less complicated.

I don't think I'll go the folding stock route.

I'll be keeping track of the progress and post everything once it is finished.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What where you thinking about doing?  Not just a stock I speculate?
View Quote
The pistol that will be the base for it is being built as a permanent host for my silencerco osprey, the slide is a colt  government length slide that has had rifle sights added to it, the frame is a modified detonics combat master frame. I'll probably add a simple folding stock and a foregrip.

I am also thinking of making a foregrip that will hold a spare 1911 magazine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The pistol that will be the base for it is being built as a permanent host for my silencerco osprey, the slide is a colt  government length slide that has had rifle sights added to it, the frame is a modified detonics combat master frame. I'll probably add a simple folding stock and a foregrip.

I am also thinking of making a foregrip that will hold a spare 1911 magazine.
View Quote
Of course pictures will be required as you proceed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Of course pictures will be required as you proceed.
View Quote
What he said. Go on....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top