Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2017 7:40:52 PM EDT
After realizing I'd bitten off more than I can chew with PSA's 1911 frame and slide, I reached out looking for a reference for a gunsmith who can build the pistol for me.

I received a few recommendations, and picked one. Dumb question now: How does the needing an FFL work for this type of thing? He gave me his address to ship the parts to, but I didn't see an FFL for that address when I checked.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
State or a Federal law ?

Feds.. no issues. Can send direct to FFL. They complete work, send back. Done. Unless you sent a blank receiver..?  in which case they would have to put a serial number on it and send to an FFL for transfer back to you.
State law in VA.. no clue.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thought I had it on my phone, but if you search the ATF, they have an FFL lookup.  Gives you their shipping address, which somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think per ATF regs, that is their official address and the only one allowed for shipments.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought I had it on my phone, but if you search the ATF, they have an FFL lookup.  Gives you their shipping address, which somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think per ATF regs, that is their official address and the only one allowed for shipments.
View Quote
FFL EZ-Check. Law has nothing to do with what address you can ship to, but the premises address, which is the official street address of the business, is what's listed in EZ-Check. It is lawful to ship to other shipping addresses, but harder for someone not in the industry to verify if that's in fact a valid address for the FFL in question.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FFL EZ-Check. Law has nothing to do with what address you can ship to, but the premises address, which is the official street address of the business, is what's listed in EZ-Check. It is lawful to ship to other shipping addresses, but harder for someone not in the industry to verify if that's in fact a valid address for the FFL in question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And if it turns out to NOT be an FFL you have violated the law if it ends up in another state.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
since production of a Firearm  not for personal use only,  requires a FFL SOT7 licenses.
View Quote
A non-NFA firearm, such as OP's 1911 pistol, would not require a SOT, just the FFL Type 07 manufacturer's license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top