Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2020 2:02:15 PM EDT
Priced at $599. I've long wanted a Mauser in 7x57, this one appears to be in really good condition. I want one to shoot, not a collector piece. Is this a good price in today's market, or are they out of their minds?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Without pics................... could be a good price, might not be. Is it in original config or has it been sporterized. If so, by whom. Lot of things to consider here.
On the other hand, the 7x57 cartridge is an awesome round that can hit well above it's weight class, if you are a handloader. Due to all the OLDER 7mm Mausers out in the world, factory ammo is loaded down by a significant amount for safety reason. I've been shooting a Win Model 70 Featherweight in 7mm for years. It's a very capable round that is a real pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sporterized. Stock, barrel, action look great. Didn't check for matching numbers as I don't care about that.

Would this fall into the "older" category needing weaker loads? I would likely run S&B and PPU through it mainly, but developing a load for via handloading would be likely.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Brazilian 1908 would be a large ring action so hot 7x57 is ok.

For 599 it better be cherry as it is a super common Mauser.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Brazilian 08 in 7mm and it's a sweet shooter. I think for VG condition 08's they are in the $400 range these days.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, Cabela's bargain cave can have a wide range of prices. It is the first 7x57 Mauser I've ever seen though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#6]
If it speaks to you and you can afford it grab it then.  

As to rolling your own, IMHO there is not much point in loading them "hot".  Unless you need the speed for the bullet to do what it was built to do on game, what do you get out of a hot loaded old girl that you are just dinging steel or punching paper.

I shoot the old guns to enjoy them, I want them to work best they can so I do workup different formulas for each bullet/powder combo and see just where everything sits.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Rifle is still there, they're only willing to go down to $550 for it. It is definitely a re-arsenal or whatever you call it with a 25" barrel instead of the 29". Wood is good, bore is bright and shiny. Only thing wrong I can see is that the tip of the cleaning rod where the patch would go has been broken off.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like an ok price to me. The folks that say they should be cheaper are usually the same people that say Gunbroker, local shops, and gunshows are too pricey. I agree, but they still sell. Deals are still around, like the mint No. 4 Mk1 I snagged on a BIN on GB two years ago for $300, but the fact of the matter is that prices on milsurps have really shot up over the last few years. Compare with Gunbroker prices...that's usually what dealers around here do, anyway.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure I would pay that unless it is very nice with a good bore.

I really like the 7mm Mauser round.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't sound like a $500 rifle to me.
More like $200.
A picture would help a lot.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
That price doesn't sound too good.  It really is hard to judge without photos.  Some of the Brazilian mausers are in pristine condition.  Those sell for a bit more than $500.  You said the barrel was shortened on the rifle? That doesn't sound good.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I stopped to look at a Yugo SKS at a small gun show.
I like it, I bought it, I took it home, I'm happy with it.
To this day 20 years later I haven't questioned the purchase.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More like $200.

View Quote

Cabela's is a place that has used guns at new gun prices.  With that said, what Milsurps that aren't junk, can be found for $200?   The days of Samco and Interams are decades past.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cabela's is a place that has used guns at new gun prices.  With that said, what Milsurps that aren't junk, can be found for $200?   The days of Samco and Interams are decades past.
View Quote

True.  But every once in a while you'll find a real diamond.

I picked up a 1948 vintage Win. Model 70 in .30GOV'T06 a couple years ago. Traded a rifle l hadn't shot in years that l bought for $225 and paid $328 out the door, with a Hornady 10 loading manual.  

The rifle's finish is used and thin with the stock finish dirty and flaking off.  But the bore is as tight as my Weatherby Vanguard.  And it shots lights out.  

It's always worth checking out what they have. You just never know.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#15]
So did you buy it?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That price doesn't sound too good.  It really is hard to judge without photos.  Some of the Brazilian mausers are in pristine condition.  Those sell for a bit more than $500.  You said the barrel was shortened on the rifle? That doesn't sound good.
View Quote

Not pristine, but very nice. Much nicer than the Yugo and K98 which are nearly the same price and very ratty.

It has a shorter barrel than original,  but it's my understanding the Brazilian"s had various models or modifications over the years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More like $200.

All the rifles with chopped barrels, chopped stocks = $200 or less
OP stated the barrel was chopped so I would not pay over $200 for it and can't recommend anyone do so.
If you want to pay $500 for it then go ahead - I certainly can't recommend it though.

If it is an original barrel but a short rifle length or carbine length,  it could be worth anything in a wide range depending on condition.

Pictures would be helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top