Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2023 6:17:32 PM EDT
Friend and I are looking to make a Faux A4. Found a cheap enough Remington 03a3 that had been drilled already. Didn't use a one piece Redfield base. Rear screw is probably usable. Front screw holes not so sure.
Is it economically feasible to fill holes and redrill and tap if the holes don't line up?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:05:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#1]
That's hard to answer.  Whether something is economically feasible depends on how much you are willing to spend on the project.  What's your limit?

It can certainly be done.  The holes can be welded in and re-drilled and tapped.  Drilling the holes can present a challenge if the weld is a different hardness than the receiver.  The bit will want to cut differently as it cuts between the different metals and can cause the bit to drift off center as it will take the path of least resistance and favor whichever is softer.  The key will be good setup and go slow.

How much of the project will you do yourself vs outsource?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not setup to drill and tap, nor to fill weld. I would not be worried about paying $100ish to get that done. (unless that is way out of line)
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#3]
Is it 3 holes total or 4?  Assuming it's three AND you can use the rear hole so you only need 2 holes D&T'ed, you're probably looking at about $75-100 just for the D&T.  Welding and refinishing the surface for drilling would probably run another $75-100.  But prices in the gunsmithing industry can be all over the place so I'd recommend contacting some places around you and see what they quote.  Also, remember that you get what you pay for, and that it particularly true with gunsmithing.  Best of luck!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Pic of what you've got?

(I don't know shit about '03s.)

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a few bases you can use. Post pics of the receiver. You may not need to do anything to the existing holes as they'll be covered.  Can possibly just drill new hole, tap, and go.  You'll want to shim the base too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't help you with your question, but I can give you some motivation.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure exactly what you have going but if it were me I think I would be trying to modify the one piece base you want or have to fit your existing holes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 90xt:
Not sure exactly what you have going but if it were me I think I would be trying to modify the one piece base you want or have to fit your existing holes.
View Quote

I have to use a base that looks like the original. It had a weaver front base on it. Just by looking at some picture the holes in the receiver will be where the scope attaches. The base will be in and I will finally see what I am up against in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#9]
Get a extra long threaded screw.

screw it down.
File it down such that it is flush to the receiver.
Redrill & retap.

At least that was what I was taught.

I hope you're used a Williams or Forster Jig.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By distrflman:
Friend and I are looking to make a Faux A4. Found a cheap enough Remington 03a3 that had been drilled already. Didn't use a one piece Redfield base. Rear screw is probably usable. Front screw holes not so sure.
Is it economically feasible to fill holes and redrill and tap if the holes don't line up?
View Quote

@distrflman

Any update?

I'm getting a drilled and tapped a3 sporter I'm doing the same thing too. It has weaver bases on it now. I'll have to to look at everything together when it all gets here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Another option, depending on how far out of alignment the holes are, would be too re-drill and tap to 8-40 and open up the redfield bases to match. That might give you some wiggle room, if it doesn't have to be perfectly correct, just visibly correct.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Redfield mount and had a hole drilled on the front ring. Other two holes from the weaver didn't get in the way or were usable.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top