Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2018 11:18:39 AM EDT
Welp I got my first antique, and in what seems to be a trend for me this year it was WAY under market price.

1898 Tula, Finnish marked. The rifle and bore is still covered in the dried up packing grease. Only real issue with it is the front barrel band captive screw has the bead broke off it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  Think mine's like 1896 or something.

Throw a 3-9X on that thing & deer hunt w/ it this fall.  No C&R mumbo jumbo to worry about.  The receiver date is the value.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are neat.  I passed on one a long time ago.  I was a Westinghouse.  Was $150.   That was when the 91/30's were $79. Thought I was getting ripped off.   Bad move on my part to not get it.

The other one I missed but I was too young was a rack of Krags. They were still packed in grease. And I mean covered in grease at Woolworth back in the late 1970's. The wood on one I rubbed the grease off looked new. $25 each. Dad wouldn't get one for me.

I had the cash from cutting lawns but Mom was a nurse and hated guns from working in the ER.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The screw is broken because it is left hand threads
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
How much did you pay?

I passed up one for 300 last year and have been regretting it since then.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The screw is broken because it is left hand threads
View Quote
No, it was broken from properly over tightening. It didn't sheer the pin or strip the threads, it just pulled the bead off the expanded end of the screw. Should be a pretty easy repair.

That is a pretty common misconception, they are in fact right hand threads. Due to the way they are being used they need to be treated like left hand threads. Honestly, it would have been easier if they were left hand threads as then they would work like you think they should.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much did you pay?

I passed up one for 300 last year and have been regretting it since then.
View Quote
Are you sure you want to know?

Really sure?

Well if you insist....

$220
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you sure you want to know?

Really sure?

Well if you insist....

$220
View Quote
You got ripped off. GD tells me it's worth no more than $30, but I'm a nice guy so I'd give you $60

Nice pickup, man! I'd have jumped at that, too. I love me the old M91s.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It has been the year of the m91 for me. Before this year I had only seen maybe 5 at gunshows around here in the last 9 years. Not sure why but they have been comeing out in droves this year. That makes number three I bought at 100 or more under marke value since the start of the year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
So I got around to making my new captive bolt and bead. Was rather surprised the bluing matched up pretty well even.

BTW I can verify it is a 10-24 RH thread. Although bolt the bolt measured at the very bottom of the ANSI spec and I did need to run a bottom tap thru the band to clean the threads up enough for any 10-24 bolts to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top