Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2019 8:24:06 PM EDT
I have a new 1894 csbl on the way. I plan to target shoot with the irons and hunt(with my daughters) with a leupold Fxii 2.5x20 scope mounted (not the scout version).  I am looking at the Warne qd rings for this purpose. The question is, which height rings do I need, for the scope tube to clear the rear peep sight? If I knew the height of the peep above the rail this would be easy Thanks in advance. The below pic is what I’m referring to, although the pic is of a ruger. Iirc the rings in the pic are low leupolds( which I don’t think they make anymore)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I just installed that scope on my Henry using Leupold low rings.

Not sure of peep height. Can measure when I get home later
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just installed that scope on my Henry using Leupold low rings.

Not sure of peep height. Can measure when I get home later
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Send that pic to Warne and tell them what you want to do, they'll help you out.

Warne makes some great rings, and my experience with CS (albeit long ago) was very positive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 1894 cst

It is mounted differently than your pic, peep is in a block, total measurement up from receiver is .625.

Peep only is .375

Not sure this helps you out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I removed the peep sight.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Just use the peep. It's a short range carbine used for large animals.
A peep will give much better accuracy than most would think possible.
Putting a scope in a lever is like putting big knobby tires on a Corvette.
It just wrong.

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just use the peep. It's a short range carbine used for large animals.
A peep will give much better accuracy than most would think possible.
Putting a scope in a lever is like putting big knobby tires on a Corvette.
It just wrong.

View Quote
I agree.  The scope is mainly for my young daughters.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I removed the peep sight.
View Quote
I’m really wanting to zero the peeps and use the scope via QD rings for hunting. The scope would generally only be on the rifle for hunting season then be taken off.
To use the scope I would simply attach and check zero. I don’t want to have to zero the peeps every time I take the scope on and off.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Send that pic to Warne and tell them what you want to do, they'll help you out.

Warne makes some great rings, and my experience with CS (albeit long ago) was very positive.
View Quote
Yea it looks like warnes are the way to go. I should be picking the rifle up on Monday. Worse case I’ll just measure the peep after I zero then order the rings.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe put a micro red dot like a FastFire on, easy for anyone to use, only adds 1 ounce instead of 1 1/2 pounds like a scope and rings will.
And a small red dot will mount forward of the peep, so no interference.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe put a micro red dot like a FastFire on, easy for anyone to use, only adds 1 ounce instead of 1 1/2 pounds like a scope and rings will.
And a small red dot will mount forward of the peep, so no interference.
View Quote
I thought long and hard about a red dot.  I just prefer a fixed mag scope on a lever gun for hunting purposes.  The fxii 2.5x20mm is only 6.5oz. Not sure what the rings weigh, but I should be less than a lb.
ETA: the low rings are 4.9oz per warnes web site fwiw. So if I can use the lows I’m at 11.4oz total.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That's one light optic. Can't go wrong there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going through this right now with my 1895. Since the,45-70 has a good range. I wanted a scope/iron sight combination. I first sighted in the peep sight. The height of the peep is keeping me from mounting my scope in the traditional location. I'm going with a scout scope.

The point being, that you should set up your peep sight first and then decide on your options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top