BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/23/2018 9:14:58 PM EDT
Or is everyone waiting like me?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this another Remlin, or is it of decent quality?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
They have not been released yet though there are a few prototypes that were made for SHOT.  One of the members on MO is a gun writer and he got his mitts on one a while back and posted a few photos over there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops double post
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Instead of painted/coated wood, why can't somebody make quality polymer?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Instead of painted/coated wood, why can't somebody make quality polymer?
View Quote
Magpul is too busy making sunglasses
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Also really wishing they would put these out.

This has to be an easy seller... Why wouldn't they be focusing on them a bit better with the massive proliferation of suppressors?!
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also really wishing they would put these out.

This has to be an easy seller... Why wouldn't they be focusing on them a bit better with the massive proliferation of suppressors?!
View Quote
I think it would be an easy sell to guys that are into NFA stuff but lever guns overall are a small part of the gun market.  Most of the old codgers and fudds that are really into lever guns have little interest in stainless and even less in something that is threaded.  I plan to buy one to SBR just so I don't have to chop down my 1894CSS.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know anything on the release of these?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Still nothing though the CSBL has finally been released.  That's a good sign the CST will follow.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Someone over at NFA Talk has one and posted pics, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone over at NFA Talk has one and posted pics, etc.
View Quote
I saw that too.  Glad to see they are finally hitting the streets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Two on GB.

I handled one at shot and I will get one.  However the threaded version has that very unattractive stock.   Where can I get a replacement?   Real wood.  I checked Boyd’s already, nothing on their website.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool. Need to see what my lgs has. All ready expected an ugly stock.  It then again ugly is good for a truck gun
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I got in stock notifications a while back from somewhere but they were gone in seconds it seemed
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Kind of like the GSBL, never saw one in the wild.  Meanwhile did manage to see the SBL and the GS side by side.  Honestly, a strait stock GSBL would have been pretty high on my list.  In the end availability led me to the GS as the SBL's disappeared before I was decided.  But then I put the SBL sights on it.

They seem pretty leary of the non-traditional market.  A few years ago I paid way to much just to get a treaded 16.5" barrel on a beater.  Pretty sure I have over $1200 in that one after bleeding on the custom work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Got an email from Grabagun on 09/26 that the CST was in stock, but I balked at the $900+ price tag. Now they are showing OOS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Got one yesterday off gun broker.  pretty nice, crappy trigger, wood looks nice, like an hs precision stock finish with webbing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#18]
cost for dealers is 815.  i doubt you will ever see them below 900.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:44:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to like it because it is threaded, but the more I look at the poster the more I wonder why they did what they did.   Does anyone actually preferre the blues stock cap?  Seems like taking the existing 16.5" stainless and treading the barrel would have been much nicer.  The picture also makes it look like the loading gate and the dovetail filler are also blued...  I just don't get it, it  is like they are playing a game to see how far buyers will go to get threads.

I know how far I went last time.  I got a beautiful JM stamped 1894.  To beautiful, so then I got a second beater one and sent it to a highly rated custom shop.  All I wanted was a threaded trapper.  By the time they were done, their bill rivaled what the rifle cost-guess I will pull out those emails and see what I did.  Half tempted just to get the nicer looking laminate and have them do the work and get what I want rather than what Marlin apparently thinks I want.  On the other hand, If I just change to XS sights from the skinner, I already have a blues version of exactly what I want.

yes I have a disease.  I have a set of blued rifles (1895cb, 1894 (strait and pistol grip), 336, 94 Winchester, and a couple of 92 Rossi's), and I have a set of ss (1895, oct barrel rossi, and Henry).  The SS set needs more 1894 love.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#21]
What’s the difference between the sbl and csbl? Picture looks the same. I surprised they didn’t just offer a threaded version of that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#22]
IIRC only the stainless and black CST is threaded.  It has a painted stock, XS peep w/o rail.  The other 2 both have laminate stocks and XS ghost rails. I think they differ as one is 357 and the other 44.  The description of one says it has deep blued metal parts, but unlike the picture of the cst, I don't see any blued parts.  Go figure.

In past threads, Ranger Point Precison was mentioned for threading.  Guess I could call them and get an updated estimate.  Prices mentioned and the price I was charged 2 years earlier were a bit different-but that was during the panic.
-
just an update, called Ranger Point-they are out of the barrel threading game.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
IIRC only the stainless and black CST is threaded.  It has a painted stock, XS peep w/o rail.  The other 2 both have laminate stocks and XS ghost rails. I think they differ as one is 357 and the other 44.  The description of one says it has deep blued metal parts, but unlike the picture of the cst, I don't see any blued parts.  Go figure.

In past threads, Ranger Point Precison was mentioned for threading.  Guess I could call them and get an updated estimate.  Prices mentioned and the price I was charged 2 years earlier were a bit different-but that was during the panic.
-
just an update, called Ranger Point-they are out of the barrel threading game.
View Quote
Surprised you don’t know about Morgan in Dallas. There’s a huge thread here on his work.

https://class3machining.com
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine is arriving this weekend.  I have a tri lug adapter ready to go.

Are you all looking at anything else to add to it relatively quickly?  Aside from ammo and training......
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Evidently Davison’s got some today. Who got one, because I didn’t?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the heads up.  Might give them a call.

Was frustrated enough today was considering giving the Marlin Custom Shop a call.  Doubt it is a cost effective options, but they could be surprising.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#27]
You could buy a blued 1894c and have it threaded for less than the cst costs.  Unless you require stainless it's a faster/better way to go.

There's a stainless Rossi in 45colt with threaded barrel in the EE for less than the cst would cost.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I got mine on GB for $909 using a credit card and delivery.   With dealer cost around $815, it’s perfect.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You could buy a blued 1894c and have it threaded for less than the cst costs.  Unless you require stainless it's a faster/better way to go.

There's a stainless Rossi in 45colt with threaded barrel in the EE for less than the cst would cost.  
View Quote
I have purchased a blued rifle (for about $600), and had it chopped and threaded. I think I have $1200 into it, but that included sights and action job as well.  The chop and thread was $280. I saw posts after that saying that shop was doing them for $180

my lgs has had feelers out for cst's, so I visited and asked to be put on their list.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got one and a really like it so far, action is nice and smooth and the trigger is actually really good.  My front sight was badly canted and it took some metal work too get it centered, others have also had issues with front sight holes in the barrel not being properly threaded.

I posted a video but YouTube seems to be having server issues so I can't post they link.  Just search Marlin 1894 CST videos and look for the scruffy guy in the green shirt.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Surprised you don’t know about Morgan in Dallas. There’s a huge thread here on his work.

View Quote
I prefer a blued/walnut 1894 threaded for a suppressor. Asked Morgan and he says he won't do them. If I remember right, he's done it once and said it was a nightmare. I think due to the handguard retainer difference.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Most 1894 versions are easy to thread because the barrel band is far behind the muzzle, just shorten the mag tube and move the sight behind the barrel band.  But that still takes an extra hour or two and adds labor expense.

Rossi 92 are very simple because you don't have to move the sight or the barrel band.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Just keep researching. While the lever rail and ghost sight can be purchased separately (and pretty sure I did that before on my 1895), the stand alone and lever rail ghost sights are not interchangeable. If that is true, it just added an extra $100 to my current plan.

Anyway, did not keep the lever rail in my midway cart, but did get some brass ordered to go with the Penn thunderheads I ordered last week
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#34]
YouTube is back up

https://youtu.be/IEcovr2Fu1k
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Off square sights, really. How do business let stuff like this out the door. Put a minute of QC in. I can only assume the production line allows for a known failure rate and they did the math and it is cheaper to sell mistakes and ask forgiveness afterwards than than fix problems

either that or the problem is personel-carelessness and sabotage.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I prefer a blued/walnut 1894 threaded for a suppressor. Asked Morgan and he says he won't do them. If I remember right, he's done it once and said it was a nightmare. I think due to the handguard retainer difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see. Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've got one and a really like it so far, action is nice and smooth and the trigger is actually really good.  My front sight was badly canted and it took some metal work too get it centered, others have also had issues with front sight holes in the barrel not being properly threaded.

I posted a video but YouTube seems to be having server issues so I can't post they link.  Just search Marlin 1894 CST videos and look for the scruffy guy in the green shirt.
View Quote
@Steelfan

Thanks for the video.  Mine should be here on Saturday.

Couple of questions.   Do you know the thread pattern for the sights?   Meaning, if mine come canted, I’ll probably take them off and put in a thread protector blank.  Which blank to use?

Also, I’m sure you said what rail that is (with the red dot), but can you tell me again?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I am not sure if it is the same thread issue, but I chances out the sights on 2017 vintage SS 1895 last year. Apparently Marlin uses excess locktite when outing on factory sights. If you simply remove the old sights, the new ones will not tighten due to locktite being in the bottom of the scre holes. All I had to do is use a small flathead screwdriver to clean it out and it tightened right up.

oh, contacted Marlin's custom shop today about a lever rail cst or threaded CSBL. Will see what type of reply I get.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I didn't check the thread pitch and it's loctited and bedded to the barrel now.  You shouldn't have to redrill if it's not off by too much.  Just take the front sight of and put it in a vice, then change the shape of the base to adjust the angle.  Or call Marlin and have them make it right.

The rail is the scout rail by xs sights, same company that made the sights for the CST.  Anodizing matches the sights perfectly which is nice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks.   I ordered the rail.  My plan was to use the iron sights but it’ll piss me off if I finally got the gun and had to wait on the rail.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Got an email back from the custom shop.  Not bad.  Will get it on order as soon as I win the power ball tonight.

Yes, nope.  In all fairness, the price included replacement wood (not sure the advantage of that) painted the color of my choice, an action job, and crekoat (again why?). All for a low price of slightly more than 2x msrp.

No no mention of the Black SS process.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got an email back from the custom shop.  Not bad.  Will get it on order as soon as I win the power ball tonight.

Yes, nope.  In all fairness, the price included replacement wood (not sure the advantage of that) painted the color of my choice, an action job, and crekoat (again why?). All for a low price of slightly more than 2x msrp.

No no mention of the Black SS process.
View Quote
What else were they gonna do for you?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I asked about a cst with a lever rail and SS endcap.  They priced out a CSBL, upgraded stocks painted to my color, action job, threading and crekote. Almost the same result, but not a cheap solution.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I got mine on Saturday.

First dozen or so rounds were perfect.  I cycled it lots of time trying to smooth it out, and then tried to fire it.  Then rounds wouldn't feed reliably.  Some would go in perfectly, some would take a little jiggling and others would take a lot more jiggling, however all rounds eventually fed.  Off I went to search and I may have the Dreaded Marlin Jam.

I also forwarded the website to my gun smith to see if that is something he would do.  If he says no, then I will attempt it.

I took the bolt out and lubed it.  Made a tremendous difference in the action.  I mean tremendous.  However the feeding issue is the same.

I've been in communication with Ranger Point asking if their extractor claw would help and they said yes.  I wrote the email on Sunday morning and got a reply in 10 minutes, back forth ON A SUNDAY!  Ok that part is ordered.

I was shooting trash 38 special ammo, but the groups at 50 plus yards was about 8 (plus) inches off hand.  I wasn't shooting for groups.  I'm quite ok with that.

I could not load more than 2 rounds in the tube.  Absolutely could not.  I'm going to try some dummy rounds tomorrow with a plastic mallet.  Any suggestions?

The rail went on kind of easily.  One of the screws / filler screws came from Marlin really janked up.  I had to work on it to remove it.  I had to pull out the drill to do so.  Once the rail was on, its solid and I believe it should have come with the gun.  Looks like it belongs.  I have not scoped the rifle yet.

I put a tri lug adapter on and put my 45 can on the rifle (9mm can getting retrofitted by Liberty).  The 38 specials sounds amazing.  Very quiet and I could hear the thump down range.  That is why I bought this rifle!

I am committed to making it work.  The $$$ are adding up.

No pictures (yet), need to get to work.  I'll post some on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I also hate this pebbled stock.  Functional but ugly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Has anyone taken the paint off? Wonder what the wood looks like?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really love the features of the 1894 CSBL. From the furniture to the Xs rail and raised sights, it’s perfect except it’s not threaded! Why can’t the offer that modle threaded? I don’t like the black furniture on the CST and lack of rail compared to the CSBL.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I really love the features of the 1894 CSBL. From the furniture to the Xs rail and raised sights, it’s perfect except it’s not threaded! Why can’t the offer that modle threaded? I don’t like the black furniture on the CST and lack of rail compared to the CSBL.
View Quote
Exactly my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I assume they are hedging their bets. Still plenty of haters that think threaded barrels are bad...  Threaded barrels on a lever action must be quite the abomination to them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top