Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2019 4:34:01 PM EDT
Setting mine up next week and looking at plinking ammo, factory and reloading. I want to stay away from lead to keep the gun cleaner with less fouling, etc. for factory, I hear the PP stuff is pretty filthy, Any feedback on the Fiocchi FMJ?
Reloading wise, thinking on the Berry's Bullets, 125 flat point using the .38 casings. Curious if anyone has feedback on the lighter flat points in regards to feeding? Then concerning the powder, what's the cleaner burning powders? I forget what's the better ones as I  have not reloaded any handgun in 10 years or more and only did revolver stuff using lead and I think Unique.

Appreciate the help!
Mark
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Similar experiences to Dryflash, My Marlin 1894 doesn't particularly care for the SWC (of any weight)... requires a slight jiggle on the lever to get em to feed well.  The 'stepped' feature seems to hang up internally just a hair.

I've settled on a 158gr RNFP cast load as my daily range ammo for it.  The RNFP feeds much, much better.
I've never had issues with modern JHP or JSP bullets, or other 'solid' type hunting loads.

My particular Marlin doesn't really care for .38spl loads unless they're loaded very long.. even then, it struggles occasionally.
I stopped using .38's in it totally and have moved entirely to .357 cases for it.

I didn't want to bother keeping two seperate .38 loadings around... i.e. long for the Marlin and 'correct COL' for my revolvers.

Luckily, I have a few five gallon buckets of .357 brass.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer cast & coated to copper plated bullets

something that feeds well and has a good crimp groove

clays for bunny fart loads

231, unique, universal, cfe-p, power pistol for warm

2400 or w296/H110 for max loads

SNS casting or missouri bullet make nice bullets for lever guns

Attachment Attached File

the shape on the right doesn’t feed well in my 1892
the one on the left does
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You said “right” both times
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You said “right” both times
View Quote
opps

corrected
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top