Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2020 1:47:20 PM EDT
Just noticed the huge new shipment of cheap Chinese 1888 rifle copies, and thought I’d start a thread in case any of you buy these and shoot them.

Take a look at the original:

History of WWI Primer 017: German Gewehr 1888 "Commission Rifle" Documentary
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a non Turked Spandau Commission rifle and I order 3 of the Century beaters, 2 of the nicer and one of the lesser in the hopes of getting a nice one to display with the Commission rifle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a non Turked Spandau Commission rifle and I order 3 of the Century beaters, 2 of the nicer and one of the lesser in the hopes of getting a nice one to display with the Commission rifle.
View Quote

Nice collection you’ve started!  

Have you or,Do you plan to fire them?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No they are just for looks, I have several from this time frame that I dont shoot. I had ammo for them but sold it all a while back.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]
In the big WWII photo thread in GD, this photo of 1888s in the hands of Volkstrum recruits just popped up:

But it was long obsolete by then.

It was cutting edge for a short time after it was adopted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one from a recent estate that is up in the EE.  

I found the regimental markings and the later loan to Turkey markings really an interesting timeline of history:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the later reworked ones.
Turk bolt czech barrel.
No clip needed.
With a lighter handload and speer bullet the damned thing shot 3 in an inch.
I don't normaly shoot well anymore with open sites.
It outshoots my other 8mm rifles hands down.
Now Ima have to go dig it out and look it over.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a few and with the right handloads they shoot really well. Almost Krag like smoothness. I wouldn't feel undergunned if issued one even in WW1.

From my experience they don't shoot 150-170 .323 or .321 bullets worth a shat. 200-220 long bearing surface .318 Norma or Woodleigh bullets shoot very nice.

I wouldn't shoot a Chinese m88 they are usually thrashed beyond junk.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have one of the later reworked ones.
Turk bolt czech barrel.
No clip needed.
With a lighter handload and speer bullet the damned thing shot 3 in an inch.
I don't normaly shoot well anymore with open sites.
It outshoots my other 8mm rifles hands down.
Now Ima have to go dig it out and look it over.

View Quote

In the video I posted, Othias mentions the barrel jacked; he indicates the barrel is “essentially free floated” (not entirely correct, but I get his inference).

I wonder if that aspect of the gun’s design results in better accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've owned a few and with the right handloads they shoot really well. Almost Krag like smoothness. I wouldn't feel undergunned if issued one even in WW1.

From my experience they don't shoot 150-170 .323 or .321 bullets worth a shat. 200-220 long bearing surface .318 Norma or Woodleigh bullets shoot very nice.

I wouldn't shoot a Chinese m88 they are usually thrashed beyond junk.
View Quote

The photos of the latest batch of Chinese guns seemed to show they are in exceptionally rough condition.

Nevertheless, I started this thread in the hope that some of you men post photos of these interesting guns (either German or Chinese).

Fascinating pieces of history in my book.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one  buried in one of my Safes with Turkish Markings.

It was originally  issued  to the Guttenberg  Regiment.

I need to sale it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one  buried in one of my Safes with Turkish Markings.

It was originally  issued  to the Guttenberg  Regiment.

I need to sale it.
View Quote

If you decide to shoot it one last time before it’s gone, a range-report would be super cool!
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In the big WWII photo thread in GD, this photo of 1888s in the hands of Volkstrum recruits just popped up:

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/Q-Volks-2.jpg

But it was long obsolete by then.

It was cutting edge for a short time after it was adopted:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/cc806f21dce0947afe6c4476245d7455/tumblr_ottz4fnOav1rwjpnyo4_250.jpg
View Quote

I think that top photo is a Steyr 1888/90.  Austrian straight pull from before WWI
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think that top photo is a Steyr 1888/90.  Austrian straight pull from before WWI
View Quote

Could well be!    I borrowed it from the big WW2 thread in GD, and it was ID’d as an 1888 there.

Looking more closely, the bolt handle looks like it’s in the wrong place for a Commission rifle, and the barrel jacket isn’t apparent.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Could well be!    I borrowed it from the big WW2 thread in GD, and it was ID'd as an 1888 there.

Looking more closely, the bolt handle looks like it's in the wrong place for a Commission rifle, and the barrel jacket isn't apparent.

View Quote
LOL I guess technically it IS an 1888  Just from a different country.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Did Century take down the listing on their website? Is there another place to look at these?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a german one (non-turk) thats an /05 conversion. Bore is rough and I think the muzzle is washed out.  Been contemplating getting a new barrel for it...but so many projects..so little time.

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did Century take down the listing on their website? Is there another place to look at these?
View Quote

Yes. They are gone.  I saw another thread about them. I went to order one for $129.99 delivered. It was in the cart. I checked out and the order cancelled

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
My China Mauser's are supposed to be here today sometime
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I should be able to get one good display piece from these 3. Interesting that there a remnants of a US sling on one .
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Got mine in today. Pretty sure the barrel is bent. The good news is that I cannot find anything missing other than the cleaning rod. Anyone have a clue how to date one of these?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone have a clue how to date one of these?
View Quote

The Hanyang arsenal was evacuated west to Hunan province in 1938 to stay ahead of the Japanese military. If I remember right, shortly afterward the arsenal mark changed. You will likely see a Buddhist "swastika" symbol, a 5 point star or a rounded 7 point star with a dot in the middle. It would not be surprising to see a mix of old and new parts. Check the safety flag and magazine follower arm.

If there is a date code on the receiver, subtract 11 to get year of manufacture. They were dated from the founding of the Republic of China (1911). It's possible you got a rifle made before then in which case I have no idea what markings it would have.

Please post pictures if you can.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Well hot damn. I just got an email confirmation from Century the rifle is ready to ship.  I thought they over sold and I missed out.

I ordered another on the same day. I hope is shows up and can put together a complete rifle.

I looked up some really reduced loads on Cast Boolits so I can shoot them. We are talking 8mm rounds at 1000 fps slow

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Got it. It is complete minus the bolt.  Completely rusted but is all surface rust.  There is a hint of rifling

I think it is good enough to shoot with power puff loads if I can find a bolt

It is in the garage soaking in Dollar Tree brand WD40

Hooray.  I found the boat in the driveway.  The packing job century did was one where the barrel stuck out the end of the box and apparently the bolt fell out through it
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got it. It is complete minus the bolt.  Completely rusted but is all surface rust.  There is a hint of rifling

I think it is good enough to shoot with power puff loads if I can find a bolt

It is in the garage soaking in Dollar Tree brand WD40

Hooray.  I found the boat in the driveway.  The packing job century did was one where the barrel stuck out the end of the box and apparently the bolt fell out through it
View Quote

You are a lucky man to find the bolt like that!  Sounds like Century did a terrible packing job here.

Once it’s out of the “soak” could you post a photo or two?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well hot damn. I just got an email confirmation from Century the rifle is ready to ship.  I thought they over sold and I missed out.

I ordered another on the same day. I hope is shows up and can put together a complete rifle.

I looked up some really reduced loads on Cast Boolits so I can shoot them. We are talking 8mm rounds at 1000 fps slow

View Quote
Has anyone confirmed if these are .318 or .323 bore?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone confirmed if these are .318 or .323 bore?
View Quote

The bore on mine was shot out. I could barely see any rifling  in it.  The muzzle was worn out. I dropped a 323  bullet and it went in about an inch

I would count on them being 318. There was no way to measure the bore properly
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The bore on mine was shot out. I could barely see any rifling  in it.  The muzzle was worn out. I dropped a 323  bullet and it went in about an inch

I would count on them being 318. There was no way to measure the bore properly
View Quote

Thanks for the update!

Anyone lucky enough to get one with a non-ruined bore?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top