Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2017 9:40:35 PM EDT
Been wanting to get a cap n ball for awhile now and came across a used one in great shape.
I read the SS version was only produced for a short period of time.  What would be a good price for a lightly used Uberti 1860 stainless?

Found a pic.  Looks a lot like this except it's not a colt.  Might be a Pietta. The horizontal piece in front of cylinder is black.

Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been wanting to get a cap n ball for awhile now and came across a used one in great shape.
I read the SS version was only produced for a short period of time.  What would be a good price for a lightly used Uberti 1860 stainless?

Found a pic.  Looks a lot like this except it's not a colt.  Might be a Pietta. The horizontal piece in front of cylinder is black.

https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/4241203238/11380603/img_6593.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
View Quote
Unless I am wrong that part should also be stainless.  Is there a chance the finish is just polished steel and not stainless?  It would take some time on a buff wheel to do.

If it is stainless the part is probably not original
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.cabelas.com/product/PIETTA-OLD-SILVER-CAL-BP-REVOLVER/2359035.uts?slotId=8#tabsCollection  read review

be sure to put grease over the loaded front of the chambers so when one fires it does not set off the others. powder wad ball + grease
the yellow round pre cut patches work well Use a powder measure grains of black powder is a volume measurement.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link to the review.  That review is for a polished steel Pietta and I am pretty sure this is a stainless Uberti.
I could be wrong, I've been searching and looking for pics so much my head is spinning.
I will be sure to check the hammer and look for smooth indexing, etc.

He is asking $350 which I think is too much.  He has a SS .36 hex barrel too.  I think that is a 1858??
Actually has a small collection he bought with some other .44's. (LGS) I am pretty sure they are all Uberti's.
I can email some pics I took.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]
If the gun in question is an Uberti its worth approx. $350.
Depends on condition.

Colt made some stainless steel cap&ball revolvers back in the early 1980's.
These are worth considerably more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for that.  It has the roll marks just like the above pic but that one piece is blued.
I may swing by and look at it again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn’t know Stainless Steel was invented until 1913?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on condition.

View Quote
Agree
the stainless steel looks odd tho . YMMV
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
If the barrel wedge is blued its a replacement part.
Not a big deal. They get beat up(or lost) and need replacing.
Honestly, stainless isn't all that. A standard blued gun will work just fine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
The thing I like about the Colt repros are the lack of import stamps and the whole blacpowder only roll marks .
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there a way to distinguish between a Uberti vs. a Pietta?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes it will be marked with the maker
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes it will be marked with the maker
View Quote
Is that the "double circle" stamps on frame and barrel?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is that the "double circle" stamps on frame and barrel?
View Quote
My Pietta LeMatt is marked FLLIPEITTA with a diamond stamp with FAP inside
My Uberti model 3 Russian is marked A. Uberti with what looks like an maltese cross kinda stamp
I cannot remember but have seen the double circle on some guns
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a nice cap & ball revolver.

I would probably be stupid enough to pay $400 for it.

I have absolutely no idea what it is "worth".
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong...but , couldn't you easily check if it is SS v. CS with a magnet ?

And I would think any markings would be seriously compromised to get that high of a polish... the ones I see are pretty sharp looking.

Ooops... and a fine looking firearm.... I would probably buy it as well.
View Quote
Not all stainless steels are non-magnetic.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't recall any Mfgr name on the pistols, just roll marks like above.  He wants 350 for the two stainless and 300 for the blues.
I never made it back but will go on Tuesday.  I'm sure he'll nock a few bucks off or pay my tax but I think the price is high for a Pietta and just about right for a Uberti.  They are in good shape, local and a carrot in my face to push me over the edge and get into it.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Look on the barrel underneath the loading lever.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look on the barrel underneath the loading lever.
View Quote
Thank you for that!
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't recall any Mfgr name on the pistols, just roll marks like above.  He wants 350 for the two stainless and 300 for the blues.
View Quote
Beretta is doing a today(Christmas)-only 25% off everything.
http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/uberti-model-1860-army-fluted-steel/

$379-25%=$285ish, shipped to your house, brand new.

Even if you don't want to order one, you can maybe use it to drive down pricing. :)

Forgot...
PROMO CODE: XMAS7
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't pay anymore than $125.  Used BP revolvers are not in high demand.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wouldn't pay anymore than $125.  Used BP revolvers are not in high demand.
View Quote
Not always true.
Many are quite desirable.
The typical low end brass framed Italian 1851 or 1860 aren't.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for that promo code.  Something to think hard about.  I like the <300 new.  Black is truer to the originals which I usually go for but that Ss is pretty sweet.
I have to see if it is truly a Uberti and I agree that 300 is pushing it for a used pistol espeicially during sale days.

I am not interested in the brass framed jobs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Dude, you're overthinking it.

FO and rejoice.

Welcome to the Dark Side. It clouds everything.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Have you looked at a "51" model Navy
Different grip size more like a SAA size
The grip size on the Army is longer as well as being a .44 where as the Navy is a .36  .
That Yank Hickock carried a nice pair of Navies
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I know from my "kit" 1851 the wedge, crossbar in front of the cylinder takes a beating. To me it wouldn't be a big deal if it had been replaced, which is why it might be blued steel rather than SS.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, I bought a Pietta 1860 Army like the one pictured above.  I now need to assemble all the items I need to shoot this thing in the spring.  Looking for advise on my check list, recommendations and items I have not included.

Locally I only have a Walmart and a Dunham's sports.  I understand it is better to buy powder locally vs. shipping.  If there is a certain brand or item that you would recommend please comment.

Powder- Type FFF ok?
Powder flask -
Wads-
Bullets- size?
Grease-
Nipple wrench-
Caps- size?
What else?

I do plan on cleaning it after every use.  Have watched youtube vids on this.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Check out the blackpowder section . Alot of good info .
Congrats on the purchase
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok, I bought a Pietta 1860 Army like the one pictured above.  I now need to assemble all the items I need to shoot this thing in the spring.  Looking for advise on my check list, recommendations and items I have not included.

Locally I only have a Walmart and a Dunham's sports.  I understand it is better to buy powder locally vs. shipping.  If there is a certain brand or item that you would recommend please comment.

Powder- Type FFF ok?
Powder flask -
Wads-
Bullets- size?
Grease-
Nipple wrench-
Caps- size?
What else?

I do plan on cleaning it after every use.  Have watched youtube vids on this.

Thanks
View Quote

Here's my Pietta 1860 Army and almost everything I use to shoot it. Not pictured is a 1 pound can of Graf's Schutzen FFFg powder, a powder measure, Remington #10 caps, a nipple wrench, and a tube of Thomson Center Bore butter.

Here's all the accessories I use and examples of them from the web. Shop around you might find some of these at Walmart, Bass Pro, or Cabela's for less $ than what I'm linking here.

Real black powder can be difficult to find locally, very few gun shops carry it as it requires special storage requirements. Call around.
Bass Pro advertises that they carry it. You have to ask for it as it's not on the shelf nor near the gun area. A clerk needs to walk and get it from their secure location. I have Bass Pro's HQ store in Springfield, MO. They rarely have it in stock. When they do it is the most expensive BP around. A local shop carries BP in Springfield and beats Bass Pro on the price of a can by $10 or more.

If you can't find it, I find Graf's has the best pricing with shipping and hazmat on their private label Schutzen BP. You want FFFg but FFg will work. I'd recommend ordering 5lbs to 10lbs to make the $20 hazmat fee worth it.  
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

Walmart usually carries substitute powders. Pyrodex P and RS will work. Triple 7 FFg and FFFg will work. Real black powder is more fun and can be less expensive.

Pietta revolvers work best with Remington #10 caps. I find a tin of 100 can be bought at my local Bass Pro. However, I'd recommend you grab 1000 or if you really get into it 5000.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/powder-caps/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104511780/remington-reg-percussion-caps/705046.uts?slotId=9
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0005022617/-number-10-percussion-cap-(5000-count)

I shoot Hornady .454 diameter ball. This will shave a ring when you load it and is the perfect size for Pietta revolvers.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-pistol-revolver-accessories/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/hornady-reg-swaged-black-powder-revolver-pistol-round-balls-per/739962.uts?slotId=0

Wool Felt Wads - 44 cal. I load powder, wad, ball. No need for over ball lube as a spark will not get past the wad.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-pistol-revolver-accessories/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/cabelas-lubed-black-powder-revolver-wads-per/706908.uts?slotId=5

I've started making my own wads and lube:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=11514.0

Bore Butter - I rub a dab of this on the arbor (AKA cylinder pin). This will allow the gun to keep shooting for days. I have also been putting a dab between the wad and ball.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thompson-Center-Natural-Lube-Plus-Bore-Butter/728389.uts?slotId=0

Nipple wrench - needed for cleaning the revolver:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-pistol-revolver-accessories/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/pietta-black-powder-revolver-nipple-wrench-with-six-nipples/1739303.uts?slotId=1

I find the barrel wedge on my newest Pietta 1860 Army is almost impossible to get out. So I made tool by crushing a 5.56 case in my vice and folding it flat. I hammer on this with a mallet to get the wedge out.

Video by Pietta on removing the barrel wedge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V2tAF8V5D4

The flask that is pictured above, I bought at Walmart - it has a 30gr spout which is perfect for the 1860 Colt.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002225580/cva-range-model-flask-with-30-grain-spout-brass-5-oz

Ted Cash capper. These can be a little tricky to use at first but are easy to get the hang of.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-pistol-revolver-accessories/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/tedd-cash-black-powder-pistol-and-rifle-cappers/740649.uts?slotId=16

You'll want a powder measure to check the spout on whatever flask you buy. Here's an example similar to the one I have. This price seems extremely high to me - shop around. Walmart carries these.  
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-pistol-revolver-accessories/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/pedersoli-revolver-powder-measure/733537.uts?slotId=41

I'd recommend you get a set of gun smithing screw drivers. This will keep you from munging up the screw heads on the gun.
Pietta sells complete screw sets so if you do screw up you can replace all the screws down the line.

Here's a 3 piece set of Grace Screw Drivers for the Colt Peacemaker on gunbroker that is perfect for these revolvers:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/744310257

I bought this set of Grace screw drivers from Cabela's, only 3 of them are needed:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/GRACE-USA-PISTOLSMITH-SCREWDRIVER-SET/2314962.uts?slotId=3

Let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's a 5 shot group with my Pietta 1860 Army. 1 chamber left empty for safety.
This was done at 21ft, standing with 2 hands, using 30gr of Graf's Schutzen FFFg powder, Hornady .454 dia ball, Wonder Wads, and Remington #10 caps. Sight picture is a 6 o'clock hold at the base of the 5 ring. Note these guns all shoot high.

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#32]
drobs, thank you very much!  I appreciate the thorough response with links.  Been to the Bass Pro HQ...quite the place.  My Bass Pro is 45 mins away. I saw your wad thread doing research.  
No lube on top of ball, huh?

After I make everyone breakfast I'm going out to see what I can get locally and check prices.  If I have to order BP, I have to order BP and suck it up.  If I really like shooting this thing I can bulk up.
How many shots does a pound yield?
How many grains of powder?  30 gr?
Will all .44 CnB revolvers use the same items?  Maybe a cap size change?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
drobs, thank you very much!  I appreciate the thorough response with links.  Been to the Bass Pro HQ...quite the place.  My Bass Pro is 45 mins away. I saw your wad thread doing research.  
No lube on top of ball, huh?

After I make everyone breakfast I'm going out to see what I can get locally and check prices.  If I have to order BP, I have to order BP and suck it up.  If I really like shooting this thing I can bulk up.
How many shots does a pound yield?
How many grains of powder?  30 gr?
Will all .44 CnB revolvers use the same items?  Maybe a cap size change?
View Quote
I had to go look up grains per pound over at https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?forums/blackpowder.12/
Lots of good info over there and a little higher traffic than here.
7000gr per pound / 30gr load = 233 shots.

If you want to save a few $, lube over ball instead of wads, will work just fine. It's really messy though. The 1st shot takes all that extra lube off the other chambers and spreads it all over the outside of the gun and your hands. Now you might be able to use a thicker home made lube (more beeswax) that wouldn't make as much of a mess. There's different methods of doing this and really no 1 way is the only way or the "right" way.

Using a lubed wad - sends the lube where you want it - down the barrel.

I bought a Pietta Remington NMA 1858 back in 2001 with a Kirst Conversion Cylinder to shoot 45 Colt. Didn't fire it with real / substitute BP till 2014. Finally shot it with real BP and was hooked. Soon after bought a pair of Pietta 1860 Colts. Find I like them better than the Remington 1858. The actions feel slicker and the guns handle better, to me.

All Pietta revolvers use the same Remington #10 caps. I recently bought a Lyman Great Plains 54 cal rifle. It also uses Remington #10 caps. Most everything is interchangeable. However, if you get a 36 caliber 1851 Navy revolver you might need smaller capacity nozzle as I believe those use 20 to 25 grains of powder. The Pietta nipple wrench works on all my Pietta revolvers + my Lyman GPR.

You can play with different powder charge weights - up or down. You can even fill the chamber and cram ball on top of that. I'm kind of stuck on 30grs as that is what my flask throws. I do read that lesser charges can be more accurate.

Fun stuff!
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#34]
So how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Depends on condition.

View Quote
Colt made them for months only, and are rare.  The 1860 is the most prevalent at a few hundred pieces made, others are even rarer.  I don't remember which one, but there was one they only made 6 of.  "WaffenUS" on gunbroker sells the Colt second and third generation blackpowders, has had a bunch of them for years.  He has a running auction for a Stainless 1860 for over $1,200 for quite some time.  I wouldn't spend that much on a stainless, but I have come close to buying on of his regular 1860's a couple times.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Good thread. I just bought a Pietta 1860 Army Steel Frame and can't wait to shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top