Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2022 12:08:20 AM EDT
Forgive my ignorance as I’m not very knowledgeable about percussion era guns.
I have an Uberti 1851 Navy cartridge conversion and really enjoy it.
However, the grip is really short.
Could I replace it with an 1860 grip? Everything line up correctly?
Any business out there offer parts?
Does anybody prefer the shorter grip?

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance as I’m not very knowledgeable about percussion era guns.
I have an Uberti 1851 Navy cartridge conversion and really enjoy it.
However, the grip is really short.
Could I replace it with an 1860 grip? Everything line up correctly?
Any business out there offer parts?
Does anybody prefer the shorter grip?

Thanks for any input.
View Quote

Worked fine on my Piettas. Generally the grips on the 1860 and 1851 are interchangeable. I have swapped barrels too. Just make sure caliber is the same for cyl and barrel if you do that though.

Check ebay and gunbroker for parts.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally you can change the grip frames with no problems, but you might get into slight alignment issues in terms of the screw holes not quite matching up...

The other issue is that even if the screw holes do line up, the contours will probably not align and you would need some elbow grease to file and polish them into a smooth contour.

Finally, to buy the parts, while you can find them on ebay and Gbroker, simply buy them direct from either EMF, Taylors or Dixie... Their prices are usually cheaper and they are always very courteous on the phone when confirming your order, especially EMF.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
knowledgeable folks here . . .

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 2:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Typically you need to stay within the same brand as they can vary a bit.  I can't remember on the Uberti, but the Peitta 1860 grip is a bit different than an actual Colt's (it kicks out at the bottom of the rear more than an acual Colt).  Check out Duelist1954's youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/@duelist1954/videos), he has/had some videos on frame conversions and talks about the differences and fitting.  Youtube had started messing with his videos and apparently demonitized and pulled some so he was moving stuff to Rumble but I don't know if all of his stuff is still up.  https://rumble.com/c/c-1886155
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
our.

Finally, to buy the parts, while you can find them on ebay and Gbroker, simply buy them direct from either EMF, Taylors or Dixie... Their prices are usually cheaper and they are always very courteous on the phone when confirming your order, especially EMF.
View Quote

Much harder to find in stock though.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I will search out the parts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Interestingly, although not what you were asking about OP, but I have been told that an Colt 1860 grip will fit on an 1873 SAA model. I Have not tried this with my Italians yet, but I might, as the 1860 grip gives more to hang on to.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interestingly, although not what you were asking about OP, but I have been told that an Colt 1860 grip will fit on an 1873 SAA model. I Have not tried this with my Italians yet, but I might, as the 1860 grip gives more to hang on to.
View Quote

Uberti's "Grizzly Paw" line is equipped with the larger 1860 grips, you can buy the parts online.  I think Pietta has a few some similarly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top