Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 7:10:02 PM EDT
Hey all. Looking to get into a black powder pistol for fun. I like the looks of the 1851 but I don’t know much about them or any black powder pistol. What are y’all’s thoughts on a pietta or uberti 1851 for a range toy? I know the original 1851 came in .36 but people tell me the 44 is a lot more fun to shoot. Does any one have any leads on where I could find out me too? Everything is out of stock
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Pietta 1851 in .36.  Tons of fun to shoot.  Decent trigger and pretty accurate considering the rudimentary sights.

With that said, I rarely shoot it because it's such a PITA to clean.  I would like to do a cartridge conversion on it, but it's hard to justify the cost.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Would a stainless black powder pistol be easier to clean? I don’t own anything that’s blued.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The .36cal is more economical to shoot vs. the .44.
Power wise the .36 is roughly equal to a .380 auto. The .44 about equal to a light .38Special.
The larger Dragoon’s are mo betta.
Stainless guns will still need to be cleaned after shooting. They WILL rust.
Its really not that difficult to clean a c&b gun. Yes. Its more involved than a modern gun.
I can clean one of mine in 20 minutes.
I do a “range clean” and/or a deep clean. A range clean takes 20 minutes and the gun is good to go for next time.
A deep clean is a complete tear down. Parts cleaned. Baked in the oven. Slathered with cooking oil. Reassembled.
The baking + oil thing “seasons” the steel just like a cast iron cookware. Over time the metal get nice and slick.
Helps prevent rusting and is easier to clean.
C&B revo’s are hoot. Always popular on range day. And don’t think they won’t kill a motherflucker graveyard dayed either.
Most are quite accurate but don’t shoot to point of aim. They generally shoot way high as the sights are set for 100yds.
This was intentional on the originals. The newer coones are the same.
IMO, Uberti is the better gun. New Pietta guns are better than earlier guns. The steel on these is very soft. Buy a proper set of gun screwdrivers. The head slots are bad about stripping out with incorrect fitting screwdrivers.
Don’t get a brass frame. Brass frames stretch out with use and become unserviceable. Steel frame lasts better.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Dixie Gun Works has the .44 1851 Navy in stock, page 1 of the percussion handguns section. They are out of the "regular" 1851 in .36, but have the London in stock, page 2. The only difference is the backstrap and trigger guard on the London is steel instead of brass.  

Be advised, DGW is very backed up right now, they got hit with orders like everybody else and then Covid went through them and they have a lot of people out. Average shipping times are 4-5 weeks right now, my 1861 Navy was ordered 12/10 and the lady told me hopefully the end of this week.

While you're waiting, get on YouTube and check out duelist1954 and Blackie Thomas, both have tons of videos and are very knowledgable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I know you said that you like the looks of the 1851 navy, but I would suggest that you consider the 1858 Remington.  It is a much more solid gun and is much less prone to problems like cap jams.  It is also much easier to do a cartridge conversion on if you ever choose to go down that road.

ETA:  Look up some videos on making lubed felt wads.  They make loading and shooting a lot easier than fooling with bore butter or grease.  Also, get a can of Ballistol if you don't have some already.  Ballistol is your friend when it comes to cleaning and maintaining a cap and ball revolver.  

Have fun!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would a stainless black powder pistol be easier to clean? I don't own anything that's blued.
View Quote
yes, super easy to clean.  I use 50/50 Ballistol and water mix to clean and 100% to lube and protect.  

I prefer the 1858 Remington (New Army) style because of the top strap/full frame.  Strong, yet still pretty slim and sexy.

Image is from Midway USA:

I wish I hadn't looked, I see they have a 5.5 inch barrel available.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#7]
You can own more than 1. Cleaning is simple - just use water followed by the gun oil of your choice for storage.
I use my garden hose or the faucet in my kitchen sink to clean em.

I like mine:

Pietta 36 cal 1851 Colt Navy:
Attachment Attached File

Pietta 44 cal 1860 Colt Army:
Attachment Attached File

Pietta 44 Cal 1858 Remington New Model Army:
Attachment Attached File

I had some work done by a fella in Texas on all four of my Pietta Colts. A cap post ultimately solves the rare occurrences of cap jams.
I made a video:
Shooting my 1851 Pietta 36 Cal Navy Revolver w/ Cap Post and Cap Shield

Note the images are reversed in the video.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome! Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance. I have some thinking to do. Considering that this is a fun toy, I’m not super concerned about cap jams, I’d just own it as part of the process. However, I will still look into the other options ??
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a Pietta 1858 steel frame and just bought a Pietta 1851 Confederate Rebel in brass frame. My 1858 has a conversion cylinder also. When I shoot the 1858 in bp, I use 30gr pellets. So much easier. The 1851, well have to use loose powder since it says 25gr is max due to the brass frame.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Get one, they are great fun to shoot.  

I don't find cleanup really any harder than with other guns.  You just scrub them down with either water, or I assume a water based solvent in an ultrasonic cleaner would work also.  The powder cleans up easily after a shooting if you do it same day, and then you just oil them up like any other gun.

Another fun gun is the single shot 50 cal Kentucky pistol.  Makes huge holes in the paper, and a billowing cloud of white smoke.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Well a local store had gen 2 Colt 1851. Only slightly more than a new Uberti so I couldn’t pass it up haha. It’s nice, I really like it. Feels really good in the hand. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well a local store had gen 2 Colt 1851. Only slightly more than a new Uberti so I couldn’t pass it up haha. It’s nice, I really like it. Feels really good in the hand. Thanks for the advice.
View Quote

Very nice, I hate you. (j/k).  The second generation were actually Uberti frames and other major parts, shipped to Colt who did the final finishing and put Colt parts in them. They are considered very desirable, and a lot of people apparently bought them and put them away unfired. Either way, I think you made a great find and will enjoy it tremendously. Is it a .36 or .44 caliber? Enjoy!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#13]
It’s a .36 cal. A few scratches on the barrel and trigger guard but it looks to be in good condition. I saw one new in box for 900 a few months ago and passed on it. I didn’t want to own something that nice. This one was almost half that amount so I figured what the hay ??
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Good score! I just got it's descendant, the 1861 Navy. Basically the same gun from the barrel back, has a more rounded front end like an 1860 Army. Only had her out once,  but I really like the .36, it's easier for me to get hits on the plates.

I forgot to get .36 wads, so I ended up putting lard over each chamber. It works, but too messy for me. Plus, the little bit of excess lard grabs the rings of lead when the bullet is seated. Bound up the cylinder on me twice until I realized that innocent looking lump of white goo was full of lead. Lol.

Let us know how it shoots for you!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer the Remington 1858 models, due to the top strap for added strength. Good to get an extra set of nipples, and even a second cylinder for a quick reload.

Only concern is to verify that the bullet seating lever is contoured so that the bullet nose isn’t deformed, which can affect accuracy.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
That’s a good idea about the lard ha. I will need to find supplies. I have never ventured down this road so it will be fun to learn. I seriously considered the 1860 and 1858. I have a feeling this won’t be the last cap and ball pistol lol.

I’ll have to watch a video on this cylinder reload deal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's a good idea about the lard ha. I will need to find supplies. I have never ventured down this road so it will be fun to learn. I seriously considered the 1860 and 1858. I have a feeling this won't be the last cap and ball pistol lol.

I'll have to watch a video on this cylinder reload deal.
View Quote
Something that also helps with cleaning. You can "season" these guns like you would a cast iron skillet. break yours down to the screws. remove all non metal parts and set aside. liberally cover all of your parts in olive oil and put it in the oven at 180 deg or so for 30-40min. It made cleaning mine a bit easier as the build up tended to stick less to the metal. It was something suggested to me here when i got into these old school smoke wagons. so Im passing it on to you.

my two newest (unfired in the picture)
Attachment Attached File

you can get some sick pictures in low light
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That’s a good idea about the lard ha. I will need to find supplies. I have never ventured down this road so it will be fun to learn. I seriously considered the 1860 and 1858. I have a feeling this won’t be the last cap and ball pistol lol.

I’ll have to watch a video on this cylinder reload deal.
View Quote

Just to be clear, lard works and a lot of people use it. But I'm not a big fan, I find felt wads over the powder to be a lot easier and cleaner. Up to you.

Cabelas has supplies, they can be expensive. Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf, and any LGS that sells muzzleloaders and black powder.. Graf and sons sells bulk black powder, good price but you have to buy in quantity. Some people get together and do group buys. You wouldn't be in Pa would you? Lol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#19]
@snuffy19608

There is explosive place in moscow pa i believe that sells goex powder..

I went in half of 50lbs of powder back in the 90's when i lived in Ny.. I'm down to my last pound 3f powder and 4f powder...

Friend picked it up in person..and brought back..

So look at that option also... would be cheapier than shipping it.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You can own more than 1. Cleaning is simple - just use water followed by the gun oil of your choice for storage.
I use my garden hose or the faucet in my kitchen sink to clean em.

I like mine:
Pietta 36 cal 1851 Colt Navy:
Attachment Attached File

Pietta 44 cal 1860 Colt Army:
Attachment Attached File

Pietta 44 Cal 1858 Remington New Model Army:
Attachment Attached File

I had some work done by a fella in Texas on all four of my Pietta Colts. A cap post ultimately solves the rare occurrences of cap jams.
I made a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Qnu2lAIhw
Note the images are reversed in the video.
View Quote

@drobs, more info on your cap posts & pins, please...
where in Texas is that gunsmith located?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@drobs, more info on your cap posts & pins, please...
where in Texas is that gunsmith located?
View Quote

@hrt4me

He's out of Weslaco, Texas. Sergio will turn your guns around and have them back to you in a couple days. Real fast.
Goes by TheOutlawKid over on the Highroad.

Main thread here:
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/shooting-the-texas-tuned-1860-army-finally.883762/

Another video:
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/c-b-gunsmiths-repair-tuning-and-conversion-work.870077/

He installs a cap post and cap shield. Both of which prevent cap jams in Colts.  
Attachment Attached File

He also installed action stops to prevent over rotation of the cylinders and new springs. Real nice work at a good price $80 per gun plus $25 for return shipping.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

@RandyLahey01, please post pics of your 2nd Gen .36 caliber Colt 1851...
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Pietta 1851 in 44 and it's fun to shoot, no compliants. I got the brass frame which just means you can't load it as hot. Revolver pulls apart in the middle so it's easy to maintain and load the cylinder on a press off the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top