Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 8:24:16 PM EDT
I just picked up a new uberti 1851 and noticed the cylinder wobbles.  When the hammer is down there is some play left to right.  There is also play front to back(but I think this is normal?)

I also have a uberti 1860 that has no cylinder play left or right, but does have it front to back.

Is the play side to side on the 51 normal/ok?  Is there an easy fix if it’s not normal or should I send it back?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it have the side to side play with the hammer back in the firing position?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it have the side to side play with the hammer back in the firing position?
View Quote

Yep.

If I hold the hammer back and pull the trigger it locks up tight though, don’t know if that matters.

ETA I also noticed that the forward/backward cylinder play is much more than the 1860.

If I hold the 51 and shake it around the cylinder makes noise, like it’s loose, that’s how much play I’m talking about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You can reduce the cylinder gap, fore and aft wobble,  by peening the the cylinder wedge.  i.e. make it wider in the front to back direction as installed.  This will move the barrel closer to the cylinder.  It doesn't take much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of cylinder wedges, sometimes you can push them in a little further to tighten things up a touch. I got one that has a sweet spot and is touchy, my others not so much. OP it sounds as if your cylinder stop may be just a touch narrow at the top. However, unless it's a lot of movement I wouldn't even worry about it. My oldest Navy has some cylinder movement and it shoots fine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys

Even when I push the wedge all the way in, there is still a fair amount of movement forward/back, left/right.

If it’s ok to have this kind of movement, I’m ok with it, just wanted to make sure it’s not “bad manufacturing” or anything like that.

I’m glad to know it’s not bad though, it’s a London model, and it’s the only one I found in stock recently.  And with everything that’s going on there is no ETA on new shipments of them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just take it out and see how it shoots first. If the side to side wobble gives issues then go to VTI gunparts and order a new cylinder stop and stone it to a nice tight fit. I'm sure there are youtube videos on the subject.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I ended up talking to the shop that I purchased it from and they said that that’s not right and to send it back.  So I sent it back and am waiting for the replacement.

There weren’t anymore London models, so I’m going with the standard uberti 1851.

Apparently Covid hit the Uberti factory hard over in Italy.  Could be a while before there are any new shipments.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The standard model was the one normally found here anyway. Besides, I'm sure VTI Gunparts just might sell the steel trigger and backstraps if you wish to convert it over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top