Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 3:33:48 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new load for my 16" 1:10 twist M&P 10 that will run well to 800 yards. . The rifle has shot a 1.25 MOA 10-shot group off a bipod with 155 AMAX and 43.2 grains Vhitavuori N140 at 2500 fps muzzle velocity. I haven't tried heavier bullets. I still have enough N140 powder to load up a fair amount.

The 155 AMAX is discontinued. Right now, I can find Sierra 155g and 168 g in both SMK and TMK. How would a 155 TMK load with N140 perform in this? I'd prefer the recoil of a 150ish range bullet but would I see huge improvement with 168s?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
800ft ASL, 60*F, 50% humidity, 30.0in Hg; to 800yds with 10 mph full value wind.

155gr SMK (#2156) at 2600fps: 1300fps, 26.5 MOA up and 8 MOA drift.

155gr TMK at 2600fps: 1340fps, 26.0 MOA up and 7.6 MOA drift.

168gr SMK at 2500fps: 1180fps, 30.5 MOA up and 9 MOA drift.

168gr TMK at 2500fps: 1370fps, 27 MOA up and 7 MOA drift.

If you can actually feel the difference between 150gr and 170gr class, I vote 155gr TMK.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll have to test it for yourself, but I can't get 175gr TMK, and I'd wager the other weights, to group all that well at magazine length.

I got excellent results with single feeding, but that's not for me at this point. At mag length they were still better than factory match, but lacking compared to what I can do with a regular SMK at mag length.

In this market, get what you can find at reasonable pricing, you ought to be able to tune a load with most any bullet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll have to test it for yourself, but I can't get 175gr TMK, and I'd wager the other weights, to group all that well at magazine length.

I got excellent results with single feeding, but that's not for me at this point. At mag length they were still better than factory match, but lacking compared to what I can do with a regular SMK at mag length.

In this market, get what you can find at reasonable pricing, you ought to be able to tune a load with most any bullet.
View Quote

I read up on it after your comments. The TMKs are indeed long and seem to be jump sensitive. I need it to run reliably from mags so I should probably stick with SMKs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I read up on it after your comments. The TMKs are indeed long and seem to be jump sensitive. I need it to run reliably from mags so I should probably stick with SMKs.
View Quote

If you can afford the loss, get a box and try. Maybe they'll work well for you. You might also be able to get the lighter ones out far enough to work.

IIRC, the 175TMK has a similar seating depth to ogive as a 185gr VLDH. Which I also could not get groups worth a damn from at mag length. Getting well over and single feeding yielded acceptable results for the fairly generic loading (worked up a nice, warm, safe charge and called it good enough to test seating)
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I gotta tell you my DPMS LR 308 loves the Sierra MK 175 gr with a moderate dose of Varget and Federal GMM lg rifle primers  !!

This load supposedly is used by Designated marksman M118 LR or something .. 24 inch free floated barrel .

Shoots 1/2 inch depending on conditions of the wind and shooter

Later-

John
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I gotta tell you my DPMS LR 308 loves the Sierra MK 175 gr with a moderate dose of Varget and Federal GMM lg rifle primers  !!

This load supposedly is used by Designated marksman M118 LR or something .. 24 inch free floated barrel .

Shoots 1/2 inch depending on conditions of the wind and shooter

Later-

John
View Quote

That will get it done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top