Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2018 8:48:32 AM EDT
So I've bottomed out my rear sight but I'm still a foot high at 100 yards. What are my options?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Try raising the rear sight
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Apparently, Springfield Armory makes a taller NM front sight for the Scout rifles.

I think another fix is to grind a flat on the bottom of the rear sight rack so it sits down further in the housing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try raising the rear sight
View Quote
How far?

And 12" should be on at 250-300?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Move the rear sight in the same direction you want the bullet impact to move.  You're bottomed out now, raising the rear sight will make the situation worse.

The lowest cost, simplest way is to raise the front sight with a taller post.

Build up your front sight with a pieces of cardboard or balsa or anything simple and easy to trim.  Bond on with a dab of epoxy or super glue.  Then sand or file to find the height needed with the rear sight adjusted well off the bottom.  Use that result to find out the height needed for the front sight.

A stock sight can be built up with weld or brazing rod and filed to shape, too.
View Quote
Thanks.

Raising the rear didn't make sense, but wanted to see what he had to say.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Measure the distance from the back of the front sight blade to the back of the rear aperture.  Measure it as accurately as you are able (to the nearest 1/16") using a tape measure.  Post that number here.  It should be approximately 30".

12" at 100 yards subtends the same angle as 0.10" at 30".  So, if the sight radius were exactly 30" and your group was exactly 12" high at exactly 100 yards, your front sight would need to be 0.100" taller.

Get the real numbers and post them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]
27 1/8

It has match sights
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Your front sight needs to be 0.090" taller.  You can add on to what you have or buy a taller one.

You can also file/grind down the bottom of the rear sight rack to allow it to go farther down in the housing.

Or, split the difference and do a little of both - add to the front and grind on the rear.

Honestly, unless there are obvious filing marks on the front sight blade, I'd look elsewhere first.  Something seems wrong/off.  Is there debris under the lid of the rear sight housing?  Are the teeth of the rack damaged?  Make sure everything is as it should be BEFORE you cut metal.

Is this a new-to-you CMP rifle?  If so, a call to them will likely result in a free-to-you remedy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a M1A NM

Guess I forgot to mention, sorry
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Only that sight radius matters, not the firearms beneath.

When sizing the front post, you want to have several clicks lower than your 100 yard zero.  Some say 1-2, some say 4 some say 6.  Whatever number you chopse, I think it is wise to have some.

Given that concern and the fact that your eye sits 3-4" behind the rear aperture, perhaps 0.10" taller is the proper value to use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
They make an adapter for the front sight that actually allows use of an ar15 front sight. It's amazing for things like this.

I have one on my scout, with KNS front sights.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
My CMP Garand did the same thing so I got a taller NM front sight  and all is well. Bonus that the sight is thinner as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My CMP Garand did the same thing so I got a taller NM front sight  and all is well. Bonus that the sight is thinner as well.
View Quote
Was looking for one of those. A taller NM frt sight, where did you get it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top