Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2020 12:27:10 AM EDT
I'm looking to top off my 9mm bullet stash and looking at several 9mm 115gr coated offerings. At what speed do coated bullets tend to start having leading issues? I'm going to be shooting these though an mp5 clone sbr and don't plan on using anywhere near max cast bullet data. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Different mfgs have different recommendations.

The one I hear most is 1,200 FPS.

I’ve heard as low as 950 FPS, and as high as 2,000 FPS.

I’ve pushed Gallant’s up to 1,630 and haven’t had issues, albeit in a different caliber.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Blue bullets have been great in everything I load from .380 to .357 Sig speeds. The key is just enough crimp to remove the bell, but not so much you break the coating. Break the coating and leading happens.  Crimp one and pull it to see how deep you are going. Pretty simple. Also, I find that coated bullets with the same load as lead run about 10 fps slower.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Hitek II coated bullets that I run claim 1250fps.. I load them with power pistol, which have always been extremely accurate, and do not have issues. I have heard the opposite from makers, saying the hitek bullet coating makes the bullet slicker, thus will run faster with lower loads than jacketed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top