Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
At 100 yards you are getting transonic speeds which opens groups.

It happens between 75 and 90 yards. This why people who shoot 22lr at long range use subs, no trans issues.

I shot minimags in a match last month and won because I had my dope perfect.  Others had not done the actual shooting and just used guesstimates.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At 100 yards you are getting transonic speeds which opens groups.

It happens between 75 and 90 yards. This why people who shoot 22lr at long range use subs, no trans issues.

I shot minimags in a match last month and won because I had my dope perfect.  Others had not done the actual shooting and just used guesstimates.
View Quote

Makes sense, transonic flow is a bitch for aircraft. Just a theory, but could the hollow point on certain rounds prevent boundary layer formation around the bullet, mitigating these effects?

I will be testing various velocities in the near future and post an update. My recent issue has been catching a severe case of the archery bug. At least I'm getting a lot of practice with holdovers. It won't be until February before I'm taking 50yd+ shots on squirrels.

I did swap out the scope for another 3-9x I had laying around with quick adjustable turrets and a zero stop. It has MOA hash marks, so I can compare holdovers vs doping on my next trip.

I'm most curious about the CCI 45gr I got. The only ammo I've ever had actually be subsonic out of my RAR in Bama air is CCI quiet. I'd like to see how subsonic ammo that isn't massively downloaded performs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Eley has some 42 grn loads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy some of the Norma tac from psa for 4.99 a box. It’s ely ammo and groups well for the money.
View Quote

Where did you get this info? All I've seen has RWS headstamps. The current Wolf is made by Eley, maybe what you were thinking?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Eley has some 42 grn loads.
View Quote

Yes, good stuff. I've shot quite a bit of Action and it is just barely subsonic and with the slightly heavier bullet it definitely hits with more authority than 40 grain bullets. Cheap and well under1 MOA in both my Tikkas.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread
View Quote

Quoted:
.17 WSM 20 g @3000 fps

end thread
View Quote

Quoted:
Not realistic with 22 LR, not accurate enough for reliable kill shot short of  using high end target grade rifle and match ammo.

17 HMR is the answer for 100 yd.
View Quote

Quoted:
100yrd Ethical kills

.17HMR
View Quote

I guess none of you read the thread title?

Quoted:

This guy gets it. Use the right round for the right purpose. .17 HMR will slay them at 100 and be far more accurate than .22 LR.
View Quote

I don't think he does, or you either. I get it, 17 is stronger..

The thread wasn't, "Which cartridge is superior for squirrel hunting at 100 yards?".

Op, the CCI Velocitors are great, and for speed, the CCI stingers and Aguila has comparable cartidges. The Aguila shoots more accurately on one of my 10/22s, but I generally advocate CCI.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread

yup
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top