Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2022 11:13:11 AM EDT
Bought out a guys entire 10 mm reloading supplies. I needed the primed cases…  along with the deal I got 1000 sierra jhp 135 gr bullets. Reloading 10mm for g20 and RIA FSHC.
I have been using 200 gr cast coated blue bullets. 180gr hp. Not sure what to do with the 135 gr.  Any suggestions???

Mainly use the 10mm for hunting. And that is just a back up for my bow. Hunt in Louisiana so very unlikely to cross a bear. What we do have is lots of wild pigs. So heavy bullets preferred.  Not going to use a large framed 10 mm for EDC. So ???? What to do?? Save them for 40 S&W? I have cast and powder coated the Lee 175 tc for my 40s. Haven’t tried the cast 175 in 10mm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Nosler has data for their 135gr bullet. It should be a start anyway. I have several hundred of them and hope to load them one day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Great defensive bullet. If you’re not going to use them put up for sale on the EE for someone who will.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nosler has data for their 135gr bullet. It should be a start anyway. I have several hundred of them and hope to load them one day.
View Quote

I got a deal on 135 gr. 10mm years ago. Used Nosler reloading data. Only used the bullets for moderate target loads. Thought they were plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information. I loaded the 165 sierra Hps I got they seem to be accurate. I just can’t see a use for them for what I use a 10 mm for.
Shot the 165 hp at a few sealed paint cans full of water impressively violent on first can nice hole in second.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
A Friend loaded Sierra 135 grain JHP 10 mm bullets for me in 40 S&W.  I was a LEO and used the 135 grain JHP to dispatch wounded deer along the highway.   I normally took head shots and the bullet was very effective.   One morning I got a deer crash report at sunrise.  Upon arrival a pickup truck had struck a large mature doe.   The Doe had a Injured shoulder and would’ve been coyote bait alive.   The driver wanted the deer so I said I’d put it down.   I ended up having to shoot the deer from about 25 yards as the deer was to skittish to get any closer.   I shot the deer in the forehead center a couple inches above the eyes.

The impact knocked the deer over backwards and she hardly twitched.   The driver commented he hoped I never shot at him.   When we walked up to the deer the left eye was blown out of the socket and was hanging by the optic nerve.   The hydrostatic shot had dislodged the eye of the doe.   The driver of the truck commented on how effective that load was.  

Our first duty load in 40 was a lower velocity Winchester 180 grain JHP.  This 180 grain bullet was not as effective at dispatching deer as my previous W-W 9 mm 115 grain JHP +P+ or my Remington 357 magnum 125 grain JHP out of a 4” model 66.   The 135 grain hot reload was just as effective as my previous 9 and 357 JHP.   We were later issued Federal 180 grain HST and that bullet was also a good performer on injured deer.

The 135 grain 40/10 mm bullet at 1250 to 1300 FPS is a lot better defensive load than a lot of the lower velocity 135 grain 40 and 10 mm ammo.   I made a couple of body shots on deer with the 135 grain Sierra 10 mm bullet and the 1250 to 1300 FPS which seemed to hit the sweet spot for terminal effectiveness.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to load Nosler 135 gr in .40 for a Beretta Centurion. It was a great combination using WSF. I felt the bullet weight was a bit light for self-defense, but Nosler assured me that the bullet was good for it. Accuracy was excellent, but I never did try it on any sort of live targets. In the end, I went back to 45 ACP in 1911s again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've loaded up the Nosler 135s, for my G22-2 and I refer to them as 'zippers,' since the really travel very fast!

I'm just a target shooting guy, so I have no hunting data to impart.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top