Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2018 1:31:46 PM EDT
I recently got a new Ruger Mini 14, Since I'm in NY I'm limited to 10 round magazines.

As I understand it the Ruger mags are considered the ones to get, but when
I read the reviews some are less than favorable for the 10 round mags.
I want to order up a few new magazines, but I figured it best to check before I order them.

Are the issues typically user error?

Is there a better 10 round mag then the Ruger?

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoever has been building the 10 rounders for Ruger has had some issues getting the dimensions incorrect.  The tab that holds the magazine against the mag release has been welded slightly off.  If you get one you can either take the 1 or 2 thousands off the bottom of the tab yourself or try and exchange it for a good one.  Another vender, John Mason has been building some pretty good Ruger 10 rounders for years.  They are a couple of dollars less than the Rugers and seem to be pretty dependable.  Pro mag was doing some 20 rounders that were pretty decent but I have heard their quality is falling back.  I do not know if Pro mag is making any 10 rounders.

kwg
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the information.

John Mason does not have any in stock so I ordered a couple from Ruger.
Hopefully they have the issue corrected, if not I'll need to trim down the tab.

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not had any trouble with Ruger factory mags. I have 5, 10, and blocked 20's + 30's ( I also live in a commie state)

And the Tapco mags have also been 100% reliable for me. Both the 5/30 factory mags, and 10/30 blocked mags. They just look like typical Tapco shit, but they work.

My family live a short drive away across the border in a free state, and are very pro gun, so I keep a box of goodies there for frequent visits. I have all the above mags listed in full capacity there, and they are all GTG as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not had any trouble with Ruger factory mags. I have 5, 10, and blocked 20's + 30's ( I also live in a commie state)

--- snip ---
View Quote
I need to see if I can find some blocked 20's since 20 rounders are typically my favorite magazine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top